Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HERO 5 GPS for Video

thanks for the info.  It's a whole new learning process, never ending!!

If I want to have the telemetry in video,  can do it on my netbook, then put on my desktop to create the footage.

Although viewing the video will be sluggish, my old computer still does the job.

Thanks again to all who have tried to help me.  At least I know my GoPro is functioning normally.

Highlighted
Tourist

And GoPro wonders why their stock is quickly working its way down to $0.  They have GPS data inbedded in the video but they don't put a starting or ending latitude/longitude in the Windows MetaData, they don't show it when you do Info on video files, they don't show it in their heads-up display.  Unless you remember to take a photo at time of recording, the consumer user has no way of telling where they shot the footage.  GoPro is trying to shun the consumer, but they lazy about optic improvements thus shunning the Prosumer too.  Look at Garmin for instance, they have lots of sensor data accessible from their video and even have Bluetooth for microphones...have you seen dumb ass GoPro's microphone solution?  It is just as stupid as their failed drone attempt.

Highlighted
Hiker

While it would be nice to overlay the data on a map easily, I don't think that what GP had in mind. The data is for overlaying in the video of action footage. 

Anyway, how hard is it to know where you filmed a "run" :-)

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Not an elegant solution, but I'm sure someone or Gopro would make a feature if there is enough reqests. Anyway, with Dashware you can look at the csv file from the gopro5 data stream. I took the first long/lat from the file and it was correct on the map. Not that I need to know where I took the footage as it was pretty evident :-) 

www.Dashware.net
http://www.latlong.net

dashwareGP5data.JPG
Long lat in http://www.latlong.net

Highlighted
Tourist

Some GoPro users don't use for "runs." We may use for winter vacation in Colorado that involves sking at 4 or 5 resorts with non ski days snowmobiling at various sites. Then just plain tourist videos while traveling. Be nice to know where a video is shot and memory won't cut it couple months later when compiling into an edited video.

As i say GoPro is trying to reduce their customer base to the smallest niche possible. That why they have Garmin VIRBE for the rest of us.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

What I meant by runs was skiing, biking etc. Anyway, It would be nice to see the run on a map, but I don't think the virb does that either without a bit work. Extract data, bring in to map overlay program pretty much the same as gopro. 

Another refrence is the file date should give you a clue.
I download files of the gopro every day into folder with date and short description like 2017-06-23 - Bike race Oslo, or 2017-07-15 - Indoor skatepark session Quic will date the folders for you. I go in afterwards and add decription.  

The last one, there would be no gps data anyway...... so much for a video geotag.. 

Again, would be nice, but not critical and not worth the rant. Record, save files, edit later. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Some GoPro users don't use for "runs." We may use for winter vacation in Colorado that involves sking at 4 or 5 resorts with non ski days snowmobiling at various sites. Then just plain tourist videos while traveling. Be nice to know where a video is shot and memory won't cut it couple months later when compiling into an edited video.

As i say GoPro is trying to reduce their customer base to the smallest niche possible. That why they have Garmin VIRBE for the rest of us.
Highlighted
Tourist

Or use Garmin VIRBE. Every camera i have except HERO5 puts the **bleep** GPS lat,lon in the metadata so i can right click in windows and do properties. Even my girl friends $140 camera withOUT GPS uses bluetooth connection to her phone to get coordinates to put in there. I got the camera and believed their lie about GPS. So i have lots of video taken of colorado country side and ski slopes. Your welcome to tell me where the videos were taken because date won't tell me **bleep**. I do Info in GoPro **bleep** software and it doesn't tell anything i care about. I dont care about overlays because i wouldnt use them except long enough to write down location to add to windows metadata. If GP weren't dumb asses it would be in their Info popup. Now i try to take a picture after shooting video because at least the Photo team had brains.