Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HERO 5 GPS for Video

the program I use to see location is Picasa, for [pictures it shows location, the GoPro Video doesnt.  From what I read so far, GoPro Video GPS does not show location, only speed, direction, elevation, etc. .   I'm starting to think something is wrong with my GoPro Hero 5 Black because it won't show the gauge overlay.    the overlay is something nice to add to videos.

Is there another software that I can use to view the gauge overlay? 

I just need to know if it's my gopro that's not doing this one function when recording video with GPS on. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Try Racerender. http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

even though the free verion is limitet to a couple of miniutes, you will be able to test. 

I imaging thet in the future, someone (hopefully GoPro/Dashware) will be able to extract the gps file, convert to a .gpx file that you can import to google maps etc and see your acutal recorded route...

But remember that 1 photo with 2 coordinates is a whole lot simpler than a video file with speed/loction/gforce/acceleromter data. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm still looking for solution to see the gauges on video from my Hero 5 Black in Quick, so far no luck

Highlighted
Adventurer

Are you sure you are with the  latest Quik, and gopro. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hero5 Black Version 0.200    Quick version V2.3.0.5383

Highlighted
Hiker

Are you just working on you existing files or have you tested the cam later? If not I would do the following.

-Turn on Gopro, and makes sure the gps is ON
-Leave it outside with a clear veiw of the sky and make sure the location icon is not greyed out in tn the display. 
-Walk around a bit with the camera recording
-Import footage with Quic
-Makes sure that the gauges option is on. 
-Look at your recorded in the Media tab, you should see speed, distance, direction depending on whitch gauges you have on in Quic while playing the video

If nothing, then I'm not sure. 
You could post footage online with link, (dropbox etc) and we can have a look.

Highlighted
Anonymous

The problem is with my coomputer, it's a HP AMD A8 , 8GB RAM running windows 8.1.

I installed the software on a older netbook that is not as fast and with only 4GB ram but when I looked at the files in Quick, the GPS telemetry data for video was there.  I created a test video and everything processed smoothly, although it did take a long time to create.

On both computers when viewing video in Quick, video is jerky.

I viewed the exported video on my TV and everything looks good.

Looks like it's time for me to upgrade to a better computer. 

I do a lot of slide shows that include video using Proshow Producer and never had this kind of sluggest video problem.

Thanks to all of you for giving me suggestions.

Highlighted
Hiker

Good you got it sorted. 

Yes, even my fast computer has problems with Quik and smooth scrubbing / playback. 

Infact, a lot of NLE have problems with native compressed gopro etc footage. The computer has to de-compress the footage on the fly and this is a huge demand. 

I mostly run my footage through Studio and convert to AVI for smooth editing, problem is that one looses the the GPS data... 

When Dashware is ready with the gopro 5 data extration, one will be able to render out high quailty GPS enbedded files for further editing. One can do this in RaceRender now, but costs money to buy. Quik is just that, lower quality (bitrate) quick editor with gps overlay possiblity.