Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

HERO 5 Black & External Microphone

Good Afternoon All,

I am trying to setup the HERO 5 Black with an external microphone. The external runs through an Audio-Technica reciever (Model ATW-R11) and lapel Mic transmitter (Model ATW-T27). I am to understand that there is an audio Input setting on the GoPro specifically for this kinds of mic setup, but the input is grayed out and states "N/A". 

Now, through research I have come to the understanding that my off-brand USBC -> 3.5mm Aux jack won't work (if this conclusion is incorrect please let me know), and that I actually need the GoPro specific adapter. If I were to spend the $50 on the adapter, will it work with my reciever/transmitter? or am I, for lack of a better phrase, SOL?

-R

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: HERO 5 Black & External Microphone

You must purchase the optional promic adapter, The  required part is needed no other aftermarket adapter i know of will work?  Yes $50.00 it cost you then do not need to update fw if you already update  before. from  factory fw to FW 1.20 the promic  is added in already.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

I had the same problem as you today and here is the solution. Download the v2.6 firmware for your Hero 5 Black and install via the memory card. Full instructions and firmware download here: https://gopro.com/support/hero5-black-product-update

My audio settings no longer have the dreaded "N/A" with the usb-c mic adapter and I have full use of my Rode Video Mic Pro and Rode Wireless Lav Filmaker Kit. All the mic options on the GoPro H5 Black work again.

You might also want to plugin your Hero 5 Black and start the GoPro Quik app on your desktop and check for any updates there. Quik can also install new firmware via the usb-c cable.

Yeah, I have to admit, keeping this camera working is a huge PITA.

Highlighted
Adventurer

You must purchase the optional promic adapter, The  required part is needed no other aftermarket adapter i know of will work?  Yes $50.00 it cost you then do not need to update fw if you already update  before. from  factory fw to FW 1.20 the promic  is added in already.