Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

HDR Video capture?

So I saw several articles touring GoPro Hero6 having an HDR video capture feature. What happened to that feature?

Example Link 1: https://mashable.com/2017/09/28/gopro-hero-6-black/
Example Link 2: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gopro-unveils-hero-6-black-163000508.html

Why do I not see this feature and will it be coming in the future?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: HDR Video capture?

GoPro never said HDR video (although it may be coming in future cameras), but the Hero6 does have greater dynamic range. I believe the authors were confusing the greater dynamic range to mean true HDR.

GoPro announced HDR Photos, which is a setting in the camera. Obviously the author was confusing this to be the same in video. It's also possible that he was confusing Protune and GoPro color to be HDR as he mentions turning this off and on and also about the saturated colors.

HDR video is possible now that GoPro is using SocioNext to develop their processors. HDR video entails taking a 60fps video where every other frame is over exposed and then layering it as a 30fps video creating greater detail in shadows, and therefore more depth. This is not a feature of the Hero6 and it was never announced as being in a future update.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: HDR Video capture?

GoPro never said HDR video (although it may be coming in future cameras), but the Hero6 does have greater dynamic range. I believe the authors were confusing the greater dynamic range to mean true HDR.

GoPro announced HDR Photos, which is a setting in the camera. Obviously the author was confusing this to be the same in video. It's also possible that he was confusing Protune and GoPro color to be HDR as he mentions turning this off and on and also about the saturated colors.

HDR video is possible now that GoPro is using SocioNext to develop their processors. HDR video entails taking a 60fps video where every other frame is over exposed and then layering it as a 30fps video creating greater detail in shadows, and therefore more depth. This is not a feature of the Hero6 and it was never announced as being in a future update.