Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

H7B Battery Question

How long will the camera remember all your user settings if you store it without a battery? Because of the battery drain bug, I'm thinking to just insert a fully charged battery right before use. So like I shot today and won't use again until Saturday (4 days from now). If I charge the battery in the supercharger and not put it back in until Saturday, will all of my user settings remain? Thanks for any info on this.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: H7B Battery Question

@superbeach18768 wrote:

How long will the camera remember all your user settings if you store it without a battery? Because of the battery drain bug, I'm thinking to just insert a fully charged battery right before use. So like I shot today and won't use again until Saturday (4 days from now). If I charge the battery in the supercharger and not put it back in until Saturday, will all of my user settings remain? Thanks for any info on this.

Hi

I can give you a workaround until Gopro fixes this while-off-battery drain.

If you remove battery to charge it and then insert again and DON'T TURN IT ON UNTIL YOU NEED IT then it won't be any drain (maybe 1-2% after some days). 

It is essential to respect this sequence: Remove battery - (Optionally charge it) - Insert battery and don't touch power button - WAIT UNTIL YOU NEED YOUR HB7 - Turn it on and enjoy...

Please tell me if this workaround works for you.

Keeping clock and settings should drain almost zero. Everything else is due to a microprocessor doing some stuff...

Disclaimer: Just in case test this workaround before a real usage! Leave it a couple of days but not until just using it!

Hiker

I will test this and report back. Thanks!
Hiker

So far I have tested your theory twice and both times it worked. I was a little nervous yesterday because I had a timed shoot, had the GP in the housing and setup on a clamp and turned it on like 3 minutes before I had to capture video. The battery was full and ready. I’m going to test a couple more times and then I’ll mark as the solution. Thanks again!
Hiker

@superbeach18768 wrote:
So far I have tested your theory twice and both times it worked. I was a little nervous yesterday because I had a timed shoot, had the GP in the housing and setup on a clamp and turned it on like 3 minutes before I had to capture video. The battery was full and ready. I’m going to test a couple more times and then I’ll mark as the solution. Thanks again!

I am glad to hear about it.

Well, this is just a workaround. It hasn't failed to me so far but I can't ensure that it will work 100% of times.

Let's hope gopro fixes it

regards!

Hiker

Hi, I have the same battery drain problem, sometimes it fails sometimes, but today it has happened to me that I charge battery at 100 and remove, a few hours ago I put the battery and active quickcapture, I made 2 or 3 videos of 1 minute and after 1.30 am the betria was exhausted, I put another and the same thing happens, totally desepcionado with gopro for the moment