Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Green bar appears on Hero 7 Black video footage

[ New ]

Hi,

I used my Hero 7 Black yesterday on a ride and came home to find most of the video footage has a horizontal green bar progressing from the bottom upwards, flashing at approximately 5 second intervals. This has never happened before. The camera is mounted upright in a normal position on a chesty mount. The camera is set at 1440p x 60fps with hypersmooth stabilisation on, in a wide view and set to low light conditions. I carried 4 x batteries with me so battery life is not an issue. I recently updated the camera to Version 1.90 and found that I no longer have the option of using 1080p x 60fps which is my preferred option as I never had a problem with this setting. I believe the appearance of the green bar may be a fault with the camera (I've had this in constant use since Christmas 2018) or a resolution issue. Can I revert back to 1080p x 60fps and if so how can I do this?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Green bar appears on Hero 7 Black video footage

[ New ]
I think you're best off sticking to HEVC + h.264. The 1080p/60fps files won't be taking up much space (and it sounds like you have plenty) and you won't get much benefit from HEVC. Unless you have a newer high end GPU, a 7th, 8th, or 9th gen Intel i7, AND Windows 10, HEVC won't work as well on your machine.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
What are you using to view the media? Upload an unedited clip to YouTube and then share the video here. It could just be your media player (GoPro Quik will do this on computers that don't have high specs, for example).

As far as 1080p/60fps, this hasn't changed with the update. What resolutions/frame rates are you seeing available? Are you in 4:3 or 16:9? Are you in PAL or NTSC? If you are in 4:3 or PAL you won't find 1080p/60fps as it's not possible in either. Make sure you are in 16:9 and NTSC if you want 1080p/60fps.
Explorer

[ New ]
Also, what SD card (make, model, and size) are you using?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I've just scrolled thru camera preferences & accidentally found 1080p x 60fps again by tapping on the screen size icon in the left section of the panel. Had no idea I was on the 4:3 setting. It's now set to 16:9 on 1080p x 60fps so I'll see how this goes. Other things you mentioned are - video compression is set to H.264 + HEVC & video format is NTSC. I'm using a SanDisk 64GB micro SD card from the Extreme range, a good card! But I'm considering replacing this with a 128GB one. All these settings changed after updating the camera to Version 01.90, should have checked carefully. Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go. Cheers.

Explorer

[ New ]
Hope it works out for you. I personally wouldn't move to a 128GB card unless you absolutely need one. The larger the storage capacity the more you make the camera work to access and efficiently write data. GoPro actually talks about the reasoning in this video https://youtu.be/Ihho0pqnhhc (It's a pretty long video from a Livestream, but worth a viewing).
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi again Daniel,

Thanks for that youtube link. I found the relevant section at the 22 minute mark. Prior to inserting a new SanDisk 64GB card which is in the camera now I had a 128GB card in use for about 15 months. When extracting this due to a constant error message (error occurred when attempting to clear old data) I found what appeared to be scorch marks around the copper ends. I'm not certain if this is related to the commentary in the youtube segment but it's gone now and I will stick with a 64GB card.

I have one more question - when it comes to video compression what is the difference between H.264 + HEVC and HEVC? I have selected H.264 + HEVC on the camera but have often wondered what they mean. Thanks again.

Explorer

[ New ]
Glad you found the information. Regarding h.264 vs HEVC, the main difference is compression. HEVC is a new codec that more efficiently compresses video into smaller files while retaining the same quality. By utilizing HEVC in things like 4K/60fps, your camera will be able to record the same quality, but take up less space on your SD card. Another thing that HEVC is able to do is better utilize Bitrate. Often when discussing video camera capability people will talk about the Bitrate recording capability. In general, the higher the number, the more information can be stored per frame and hence, a better overall image and more to work with when color grading. Since HEVC is able to compactly store more information, Bitrate comparisons gets a little tricky and h.264 vs HEVC Bitrate is not an apples to apples comparison. 78 Bitrate in HEVC is closer to 100 Bitrate in h.264. For example, DJI Action records in 100 Bitrate, but it's h.264. HERO8 also records in 100 Bitrate (both are variable, so not always 100) but, HERO8 records in HEVC making it closer to 130 Bitrate if it were in h.264.

Now, HEVC is great and while most cameras are moving to this codec, it has one issue. It's new. Being new most computers, video players and editors are optimized for it. Because of this, they have to work harder to unpack the data for display (which I suspect may be happening in your case). The video itself is fine, but it pays back with stutters or artifacts. You can transcode your HEVC video to H.264 with free programs like handbrake, but this is an extra step.
Explorer

[ New ]
Correction to above:
Being new most computers, video players and editors AREN'T optimized for it (HEVC).
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Daniel,

Wow, thats a lot of info to absorb. Thanks.

All data uploading & editing is done on my PC which is already a few years old but I have recently upgraded parts such as installing a 1TB SSD with a mechanical 1TB HD as back up and also increased RAM from 8 to 16.

My very last question I should have asked before - given my preference to use 1080p x 60fps video format can I safely assume that H.264 + HEVC video compression is the one to stay with?

Thanks for all your help.

Explorer

[ New ]
I think you're best off sticking to HEVC + h.264. The 1080p/60fps files won't be taking up much space (and it sounds like you have plenty) and you won't get much benefit from HEVC. Unless you have a newer high end GPU, a 7th, 8th, or 9th gen Intel i7, AND Windows 10, HEVC won't work as well on your machine.