Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Grainy video

[ New ]

I have a HERO8 Black that I got in November. It shot wonderful video when I got it but not anymore. I use it outside, attached to a tripod,  mostly on sunny days but the light level doesn't seem to matter, the video is always grainy now. I don't do action shots or night shots.  I use it to record waterfalls and other nature scenes.  I have tried adjusting all of the settings, ISO, shutter, sharpness etc. but the graininess is still there. I have factory reset the camera and ordered a new memory card from the approved list but nothing seems to help. I have wathed all of the self help videos and tried all of the suggestions I can find online. Due to what I am using the video for, I have to shoot in 4k so adjusting the resolution isn't possible. Any suggestions on where I can go from here? The camera is useless to me as it is.

Adventurer

Re: Grainy video

[ New ]

Please upload a video.  would help  seewhat hte issues are?

Tourist

[ New ]

It won't let me post a video as an attachment, says it isn't a valid extension. I uploaded a short clip that shows what I am talking about to my web server. If you look at the trees, they are very grainy.  Here is the lin

http://assets.gokharma.com/dloads/test.mp4

Nomad

[ New ]

you will need to specify what settings you are using when shooting.  For instance is your sharpness set to High? ( this will cause grain), Are you shooting in a dark condition with a high ISO rate (this will boost light but cause grain), are you shooting with a high frame rate  (60FPS or higher), this will darken the image, the camera will try to boost light, this will cause grain.  Is your Bit rate set to high?  Is the clip you shared a raw clip from the camera or one that you edited?  (editor set incorrectly during encoding will also result in grain).

There are all factors which will lead to grain.  So if you could share your settings that would certainly help.

BTW you can always upload your video's to youtube and post the link here, it's much handier.

Adventurer

[ New ]

When the Internet came out, and today  People are still now, it's their first time, we been there once . lets keep this in mind, Lol

Your video is fine.   nothing wrong here. thank you

FISH

@irishmanpdx    your expertese, 

Untitled.png

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply. I have been shooting at 4K 30fps, bit rate set to high, sharpness set to medium. ISO min at 100 max at 800. I tried lowering the ISO max to 400 and it didn't help. I have also tried 4k at 60fps and the graininess is still there. This is a raw file from the camera without any editing. I didn't post the vieo to youtube because I have heard people complaining about youtubes compression messing up the video but I can certainly post it there as well.