Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Grainy video and Freezing up

[ New ]

MY gopro camera is not recording correctly, I have reformatted my sd card and updated software for the camera, sometimes the camera will record fine and download other times it will record sound but footage will be slow and freeze up and the video will be grainy . I have used 1080, 4k and other formats but the results are the same. when I first got the camera it recorded well. I have a dell computer with an i7 processor. I used my other GoPro Hero 3 many years and it still performs fine. I also downloaded handbrake to convert files with the same grainy and slow, freezing up video. I love the GOPro please help me solve this

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Grainy video and Freezing up

[ New ]

Hello, @bos4286. Is the freezing observed when the videos are played on the camera, too? How about when using a different media player? 

Freezing is an indication of an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. As you mentioned, the camera already has the latest firmware. If you haven't done the update manually, please do so following the steps under Manual Update here. This will help get rid of any possible error with the current installation. 

It is also important that the camera uses a recommended SD card. You may refer to this list for information on compatible cards. 

Let us know if you still observe the freezing on your GoPro media after this step. Should you need further assistance, our Support team can be reached through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Grainy video and Freezing up

[ New ]

Hello, @bos4286. Is the freezing observed when the videos are played on the camera, too? How about when using a different media player? 

Freezing is an indication of an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. As you mentioned, the camera already has the latest firmware. If you haven't done the update manually, please do so following the steps under Manual Update here. This will help get rid of any possible error with the current installation. 

It is also important that the camera uses a recommended SD card. You may refer to this list for information on compatible cards. 

Let us know if you still observe the freezing on your GoPro media after this step. Should you need further assistance, our Support team can be reached through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs .