Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Grainy footage with Hero 7 in 4K

Just got back from Gibraltar and found out some of my footage on the Hero 7 are quite grainy. Seems to be especially on 4K footage.
Sure, some clips were shot on a cloudy day but still? I took two screenshots in Premiere Pro of footage straight from the camera, in 100% where it can be seen better. Should it really look this bad? Smiley Sad

ISO where on auto and on sunny days I used a gray filter to not blow out the highlights.

gopro_01.png
gopro_02.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Grainy footage with Hero 7 in 4K

I would reduce sharpness to Low since you are able to edit in post with Adobe Premiere. For the cleanest image, never go above ISO 400 (try to stay in the 100-200 range). For the most detail in shadow, use the Flat color. A 24fps can work very good if you don't have a lot of movement in the camera or subject and can help you to keep a slower shutter in low light allowing for a lower ISO (please don't do this for the "cinematic" effect as it's not the best setting in an action camera). You do need to be careful that the shutter speed doesn't drop to low or you'll get considerable motion blur and reduced Hypersmooth performance (a shutter if 1/240 or faster works best for stabilization).

Unfortunately you won't be able to pull the ISO from the video metadata directly as ISO and shutter are variable while you record (unlike a static photo). However, you can try this GoPro member's metadata extractor
https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

It's an amazing program he built and you can get a lot of useful information (plus it's just fun checking out the data 😉).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

What was the MIN and MAX ISO set to? Using a filter is not the way to go for protecting highlights. Adding another layer of glass is not ideal and even very expensive glass filters can increase grain/noise. Next time, reduce the EV to -1 or -0.5 and set the MAX ISO to 100.
Highlighted
Tourist

Well good point. 

Not entirely sure at of the iso at (I think it was set to MIN 100 and MAX 800) this point as I also filmed another trip after this but EV was set to -1. Is there a way of reviewing all the settings afterwards in metadata, perhaps?

Settings were set to this during almost all shots
RES | FPS: 4K - 24
Protune: ON
Shutter: Auto
EV Comp: -1.0
White Balance: Auto
Sharpness: High

Highlighted
Explorer

I would reduce sharpness to Low since you are able to edit in post with Adobe Premiere. For the cleanest image, never go above ISO 400 (try to stay in the 100-200 range). For the most detail in shadow, use the Flat color. A 24fps can work very good if you don't have a lot of movement in the camera or subject and can help you to keep a slower shutter in low light allowing for a lower ISO (please don't do this for the "cinematic" effect as it's not the best setting in an action camera). You do need to be careful that the shutter speed doesn't drop to low or you'll get considerable motion blur and reduced Hypersmooth performance (a shutter if 1/240 or faster works best for stabilization).

Unfortunately you won't be able to pull the ISO from the video metadata directly as ISO and shutter are variable while you record (unlike a static photo). However, you can try this GoPro member's metadata extractor
https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

It's an amazing program he built and you can get a lot of useful information (plus it's just fun checking out the data 😉).
Highlighted
Adventurer

Unless you have all your settings written down on the shot and if not pull it off a site that can read it.  if We take shots of just infinity  I think the background will be just that. IMHO

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the response Daniel. Those are some really valuable tips I will definitely try out. I got the settings I used from various GoPro vloggers but I see that I need to do more experimenting and try out your suggested ideas.

That program looks very interesting Smiley Happy and I tested one of the files (which gave me the following result which would explain some of the graininess I guess).

GH010475_1_ISOE_.png