Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Grainy footage especially when recorded 4K

Hi Team,

Though i have latest firmware version V02.01 installed in my Gopro when I tried recording 4K vedios with my new Gopro Hero 6 Black camera footages came out grainy. Please help me in getting this issue resolved.

I have noticed this issues sometime in 1080p footage as well but it is rare in that version. In 4K everytime i shoot i get grainy footage.

Thanks and Regards,

Sathwik Reddy G K

+91 9731822862

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Grainy footage especially when recorded 4K

what we need to do is set up protune  and find hte settings to get the ebst shot. just  using  it w/o will get  exactly   the footage we  shoot.

Highlighted
Hiker

Low light problem. The grain is caused by the lack of light in the video you posted.

Highlighted
Adventurer

watch the Streets of  tokyo cars of gopro that will amaze you in their night time video

Highlighted
Hiker

With the correct settings and editing software you might be able to get the same results.

Highlighted
Hiker

the grain is result of low ISO (ISO is inverse so 100 is high - excellent lighting conditions, 1600 is low - low light).

To avoid high ISO try 400 and reduce the shutter speed to 1/20th. This can and will cause motion blur.

Personally I haven't tried it in low light yet so I don't know what the results and best seting would be. I also don't have my camera to hand, so I'm not sure what all the settings for ISO and shutter speeds are.

Highlighted
Hiker

@darronm46 wrote:

the grain is result of low ISO (ISO is inverse so 100 is high - excellent lighting conditions, 1600 is low - low light).

Huh? 

High ISO in your example is 1600. Low ISO is 100. ISO on digital sensors is a sensitivity rating. The lack of light in the scene causes the GoPro to increase the ISO which in turn causes the grain he is complaining about. The 6 Black goes all the way up to 6400 ISO if you let it. There are hundreds of videos explaining this on youtube with almost every digital camera. There are also many ways to reduce or eliminate the grain(actually noise) in videos. General rule of thumb is the small sensors in action cameras are not good at low light. Some better than others. I would suggest watching a few videos on the subject and then testing it for yourself. 

Highlighted
Hiker

did I menion that i didn't have my camera handy so I couldn't check the settings... erm yep.