Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Got a new GoPro Hero 9?

[ New ]

Electronic Image Stabilization in low-light is a complete different situation though.  The problem with low-light settings is that you generally end up with long shutter speeds, which produce a lot of motion blur.  This motion blur is not a problem when playing the video, but it IS a problem when you're moving the image in order to compensate for vibrations and shakiness.  I honestly don't think they can do much to fix this.

What you can do is use a much higher Max ISO setting in order to keep shutter speeds as fast as possible.  This would help HyperSmooth stabilize your video, but you then would get a noisier image.  It's up to you to decide what settings look best for you (less noise but no stabilization or stabilization with a noisier image).

Tourist

Re: Got a new GoPro Hero 9?

[ New ]

New GoPro 9 guy, I think i will sell my gopro 9 because HyperSmooth 3.0 in low light is super-duper terrible and useless.
I love hiking and last time I tested(updated v1.22) in cloudy day. If nothing on my head gopro9 can record smooth video(4K FPS60 Shutter Auto), but when i under some tree, video will be shake. Wow! This is made in 2020, the 9th gopro.

And finally i found some trick. Set shutter speed higher and highter, for example 1/960. Yes! That can be reduce shake impact in low light. But, everything will be darker and darker.XD So I hope they add shutter speed min limit.

I think shutter speed can be affect stabilizer. Because in low light, system will tune down shutter speed to get correct exposure, when shutter speed is low that mean every shot will be less picture so stabilizer can't get enought shot to stable.