Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Goprohero 8 no sound recording and no voice controls working

[ New ]
Hi ,

I have been having intermittent problems with no sound recording and no voice controls working but now have neither one of them working . I believe the problem is linked and and when the voice control commands don’t work , the sound doesn’t record.

I’ve Run a factory reset of the camera many times both using the preferences on the camera as well as manually downloading the update onto the memory card and inserting . There is no issues with doing these types of updates/factory resets but they still don’t make the sound on the video work or the voice control commands work .

I have done a factory reset on the memory card that came with the GoPro as well as bought a recommended memory card to test out (that I bought recently as per the list of recommend memory cards online) but neither of them record sound.

I have done a reset of both my SD cards (the one I got with the GoPro and the new one I bought recently). Neither of them record sound now, but as I have said , if the voice commands don’t work , the sound won’t record.

The issue I have found is that I know when the GoPro isn’t recording sound because the voice control commands don’t work : therefore alerting me to the fact that if the camera’s microphone doesn’t pick up my voice commands, the the sound isn’t recording sound . When the sound does intermittently work on the recording , (probably 1 out of 20 times) , the Voice command controls work .

I have checked through all the settings and make sure the voice control is turned on in the settings as well as going to preferences and go to voice control and making sure the right settings are on ; voice control is on, wake on voice is on, language either US or AUS as both normally work for my voice ( when the sound and voice controls are intermittently working)

I bought the GoPro8 on 22/02/2020, after a couple of months I found the sound would record intermittently from about 1 out of 5 recordings . After i did a factory reset or update, the sound would record for the first 3 or 4 times and then stop recording sound after that . I have now done the latest update both on the phone and manually via the memory card and now is no longer recording sound and picking up my voice commands.

I can confirm that when I play the recordings back on my GoPro with the sound button is on the loudest setting and still doesn’t play any sound . I can even transfer the recordings via the phone app or even onto my computer and none of them play any sound either .

From what I can understand , this must be a firmware issue that is sometimes resolved with a factory reset but after trying a factory reset 3 or 4 times in the last day , I no longer am getting any sound to record on any of my videos and none of the voice controls work .

I have tried restarting the camera by holding the power button long enough that it restarts but still no sound recording , I have tried leaving the camera off for a long period of time (overnight) and even with the battery out , still no sound records and no voice control commands work .

I’ve never used the camera underwater or in the rain .

Can you please let me know if I need to just return the camera and get it replaced under warranty ? I love my GoPro and my family and friends love watching my videos I make of my adventures , it’s just a bit disappointing that some of the important things I’ve recorded haven’t had any sound .
Surely I am not the only person with these issues ??

Please help , I would be forever grateful

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Goprohero 8 no sound recording and no voice controls working

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new camera, @bluesummit6642. If a manual update and a factory reset have already been done, and the camera still exhibits the same problem, it would be best to let our Support team know. This way, they will be able to assist you with the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Goprohero 8 no sound recording and no voice controls working

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new camera, @bluesummit6642. If a manual update and a factory reset have already been done, and the camera still exhibits the same problem, it would be best to let our Support team know. This way, they will be able to assist you with the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.