Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro switched on, starts recording- all by itself!! No timers, no voice control!

[ New ]

So I turned the gopro off and plugged it in to charge up batt in my garage. I went up to the house for about 15 minutes. I go back down and the gopro Hero9 Black has  switched itself on, and then started to record. It had been recording 1 min 41 seconds at that point. And there was no one in there, and I was up in the house.

So What the F'ing Fig newton is going on here? Gopros come with their very own poltergeists now?  Should I call a priest and have an exorcism!?

No voice control is not on and no timers were set!  Seriously WTF 🤷‍♂️😬👻

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WI6nbUi2Po

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Gopro switched on, starts recording- all by itself!! No timers, no voice control!

[ New ]

Had the same issue, factory reset worked. @GoPro how about testing updates?

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Gopro switched on, starts recording- all by itself!! No timers, no voice control!

[ New ]

This indeed odd, @bwx232. Has the camera been connected with the GoPro app? Is the QuikCapture enabled?

In addition to the voice command or any scheduled capture feature, the camera can only be remotely accessed using the GoPro App. Let us know if you continue to observe the issue. See if the same thing happens again after you have manually updated the camera firmware and reset it to factory defaults and if it happens only when the camera is connected to an external power source. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Had the same issue, factory reset worked. @GoPro how about testing updates?

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @lukaszdh. The updates are tested on actual units. We are also unable to replicate the issue. We will definitely share your feedback with the Product team. Thanks, again!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

This indeed odd, @bwx232. Has the camera been connected with the GoPro app? Is the QuikCapture enabled?

In addition to the voice command or any scheduled capture feature, the camera can only be remotely accessed using the GoPro App. Let us know if you continue to observe the issue. See if the same thing happens again after you have manually updated the camera firmware and reset it to factory defaults and if it happens only when the camera is connected to an external power source. 

Yes the cam has been connected to gopro app, but app was not running. All voice commands and timers/ schedules are disabled.  It was left in off state and charging a battery. I left for 15 minutes. When I came back it had turned itself on and started recording for 1 min 41 seconds. How is that even possible? I'll do all the steps, I am very well aware of all the steps, all the steps are the only solution to any given problem it seems, and seems to never fix anything in my experience.