Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro sending refurbished run down cameras as replacement?

[ New ]

Hi GoPro,

I bought in January a brand new Gopro hero 7 black, used it for 2 months (+- not even 10 hrs of film) and discovered it has serious issues with freezing up all the time (when NOT filming). Checked everything from power source to Micro SD card but everything was working correct and the Micro SD was listed on the Gopro site as compatible. Did the manual update a few times, nope, same problem.

I contacted Gopro and they offered pretty quick a replacement with a new camera. I was happy because the video from the device was OK so I accepted this.

So... now weeks later.. after two returns.. I feel very sad, angry and SCAMMED. GoPro is sending old refurbished devices as "replacement".. promosing that they are "real new" and the damage was from the boxing. So my new camera that they got back, where I was really carefull with, got replaced by a broken one from someone else who dropped it or whatever.

Sorry but i've seen scratches, dirt, bent battery doors and more. I am about to sent the second replacement back but very afraid the thirth one is also refurbished. They say nothing can be done as I asked the supervisor to just sent me a NEW DEVICE as promised. Nope, no options, no money back, take it or leave it.

Any ideas? I do know that I will NEVER EVER buy anything from this company again. Using Gopro's since the 3th serie ... looking for something else now.

Regards,

Dennis

GoPro

Re: Gopro sending refurbished run down cameras as replacement?

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about your experience, @denniso7686. Were your returns coursed through GoPro Support? We'd be glad to look into it. Is there a case number that we can use as reference? Thanks!

Adventurer

[ New ]

sorry to hear .. get with a rep, and continue to work with them on your case. they are brown boxed  new. you want a unopen one that will not happen GoPro warranties this way  it would cost them the same funds  to send in th brown  or  marketed, right. I agree in ways.

Hiker

[ New ]

I got into pretty bad conversations... well... the only thing they could do it doing this RMA using a company handing out used cameras. They are in brown boxes with "REPLACEMENT WARRANTY" or something on it. When you tear off the strip there is only a camera in there, but you notice quickly they are used and worn. Check this picture of the one I got today, the second replacement. I sent first replacement back because of scratches and a not fully closing battery door.....

Yes ofcourse, I chose to do it using it directly with GoPro... after this experience that may not have been the smartest idea as I bought the camera from a retailer and I do not have the original cam anymore. So he can't do anything for me anymore.

(There is a lot of grease/dirt between the slot and the camera body, really nasty!)

RMA#: RMA-NL147136
Case#: 06713774

123.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @denniso7686. Thank you for the details that you provided. We see that you have contacted Support already. It would be best to continue working with them if you still see issues with the latest replacement camera that you received. You may use the same case number that you were previously given. You can show them the photo you posted by directing them to this thread. We also left a note to the team handling your case to check again. Best regards!

Adventurer

[ New ]

Understood.  once again contact again the rep and get another one going, report back when you finally get a good one.

Laws do apply for refurbs. maybe gopro does not follow that law.

Hiker

[ New ]

They do have all the information needed.. had long chat conversations about this issue.

Device arrived at the destination and waiting for another device back again...

Nomad

[ New ]
This exact thing just happened to me. I just sent my replacement cameras (I have 2 hero 7 blacks) back to GoPro. Unacceptable.
Nomad

[ New ]
@mariustanya My two replacement cameras were NOT new. Both had rub / wear marks on the lens cover. And on one of them, the power button was so far recessed that it was hard to push in. I just sent both cameras back AGAIN!! This is NOT RIGHT!
Adventurer

[ New ]

Do you thnk they are hand picked by peopel that just do not  take care of their Inventory?    If you are recieving these brand new brown boxed  camera  I suggest recording  when its totally sealed and show them then   to show it after the opening hm

i  use  the tool you got a video.

Hiker

[ New ]

They do come in a "brand new brown box", sealed, but marked as "WARRANTY REPLACEMENT". These boxes are just filled with refurbished cameras, not new. 100% sure after 2 bad replacements.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I am sure gopro is aware of the laws about refurbished products.  if you feel they are refurbished getto some one.  like said  take the time to document it,  and I see  miss handeling it an issue....

Hiker

[ New ]

As they take the original camera i've sent, the store can't do anything for me. And depending on who you speak, they say I guarantee it is new OR "It is fully tested and working".

Just get me a new device... I am very sorry for buying from Gopro!

Adventurer

[ New ]

Do you think it is the Cosmetics that is the issue or the camera that  bothers people.  .

Tourist

[ New ]

I just got the "Brown Box of Refurb too! I am pretty upset. My very first GoPro that I have been waiting for....for a very long time to get. And the day I open it to start filming for content...it all goes down hill from there. I have now missed some film dealines for my channel, and 2 International tournaments just to mention a few. Long story short, it would not charge a battery. A brand new camera for a refurb...that's just dishonest. Support Case #06673609

Hiker

[ New ]

Received the replacement again... not surpised. Big scratch under the lens, clearly used / refurbished AGAIN!

Adventurer

[ New ]

SOrry this is hte experoence gopro doesnot want you to have..... well  lesson learn. dispute your  creditcard if you went that route get a refund and go to anothe rcompany like Yi they are NO more and try to even DL firmware    Good luck

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, I just got off the phone with GoPro. They had me upload pictures of the damage. The doors also do not close like my first unit did. So, not sure if they are damaged too. But, wonder why the new one closed like butter, and this one is hard to close with a battery in it. Not to mention a loud snap. So they just sent me a return authorization. So, here I go again for a second time. After reviewing my pictures, they claim that it was an internal issue at their warehouse and they are looking into it. It just kills me that I have to wait another 2 weeks? again. I just want a new GoPro so I can start creating. I pray they make it right.

Hiker

[ New ]
I am sorry to say that they will just sent another used refurbished camera to you locorepoman, even when they promise you a new one. GoPro is a company that does not care about promisis or its custumors.
Hiker

[ New ]

Having just returned mine, which is only a couple of months old, this is disappointing to hear. Because I'd read several stories like this one the forum, I took quite a few pictures of the camera I'm sending back to show that what I sent them is pristine.

If it comes to it, I'll attempt to get my money back and get the new camera from DJI. A friend of mine has several DJI products and they are excellent at fixing problems and release regular updates and improvements to the firmware.

Adventurer

[ New ]

take a video and post up your next camera both of you andshow us the  ripping to using it.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am a very Brand Loyal guy. But, if I get another brown "box of refurbs". It will most likely be my last Gopro product. I am tired of dealing with this. I held out my launch date just to use gopro for my content. Now here I am 60+ days later in limbo. 

Hiker

[ New ]
You will just get another one. Someone from Gopro chat said to me “it is in 100% working order and the device would have scratches when you use it”.

Yes maybe, but as I sent in a brand new $400 device I would the one making scratches on MY device, not someone else.
Hiker

[ New ]

The support said they will move the case to another department, they will contact me. So, at least 1 week after that now, nothing 0 nada. This is getting worse and worse by day.

Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro   replacements will only be a brown box.  sorry but that is the way they work on replacements costs money to send a new box out even to put a logo on  it.  they even put a stupid Hypersmooth or timewarp metal badge.   Hey look what I got a  newly scratched collectors items....  We hear ya. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I've just chased support up because they've had mine over a week and I've heard nothing. Told me that they haven't shipped a replacement yet. What poor service.

Said that I'm going on holiday in a week and they didn't sound as if I had much chance of getting the replacement before then Smiley Mad

Adventurer

[ New ]

They may be in & out of Stock. New Customer comes first. Supportcomes last.  Imagine if they gave you a Ticket number  and told you to wait your turn..   Yeah Either wait or move along I am sure things  get done a lot faster  & Slower elsewhere.

Hiker

[ New ]

After +- 2 weeks of waiting this is what I got... same sh*t.

Hi Dennis,

Good day from Gopro! Just a follow up for this case, we would like to inform you that we can't replace your camera as a new package. If you would still like to process a 4th replacement from us, it's up to you. However, it will be packed as well in a brown box just like the same package that we have processed on your previous transaction. If there's no any issues with the camera, then we suggest you to keep that instead since scratches will not affect the performance of the camera.

Please bear in mind that this case will be closed for the mean time since information has been provided. If you still have questions and concerns, don't hesitate to contact us again via call or chat.

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support

RUN AWAY FROM GOPRO IF YOU HAVEN'T PURCHASED YET! THIEVES!

Adventurer

[ New ]

At least they came out and Admitted to You. about it?    NLOl (not at you)   So your case will be closed and you have to start all over again, that you do not want to happen.  a way of saying have a good day  ..

Hiker

[ New ]

You are from Gopro support right? Please stop replying on ALL posts without saying anything usefull. Thank you!

Explorer

[ New ]

@denniso7686
GoPro employees are designated with GoPro under their names and Admin next to it. Fishycomics is not from GoPro support (and neither am I). GoPro employees periodically come to this site to moderate the conversations and sometimes provide insight. However, this is a member to member support community. For a GoPro Support Team member, you need to contact them via chat or call. You can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Nomad

[ New ]
Go pro support member assured me that the camera that we would be getting back are new but different packaging. I'm surprised to see that this is happening
I guess it's a policy change
Hiker

[ New ]

I hope the camera I get back will be in the same condition as the one I sent, which was virtually indistinguishable from new. I don't care about the box as I kept the original anyway. But, I will not accept a replacement which is in inferior condition to the one I sent.

Adventurer

[ New ]

good luck to you then. 

could not agree more. these Users got issues over the stupidest lil things.

Tourist

[ New ]

They have had my return for over a week, for the second time. Again, I am the one calling to figure out something...because of no communication. I have called the Gopro support line, which is located in the Philippines 3 times this week. The first two times the whole system was down....what ever that means. And the third, the fullfillment system with the warehouse aka contracted provider was down. So, I am assuming this is a facility that "only handles refurbished" product. Its not the manufacturer or else it would be in retail packaging. The package and the plastic pieces are at a actaul cost of what $3 to $9? Now, I do not care that the call center is in the Philippines, Dang I wish I was there right now drinking a beer with a couple of the reps I spoke with on the phone. I actually feel sorry for them putting up with petty return issues that are mishandled by California. Now I have missed 3 International Tournaments, a fitness challenge, a scuba dive, and today I will be missing recording the 4th of July fireworks. I am so depressed. All events can never be recreated in history.   

Now, on the positive/good side: I would like to commend the rep named Shoann. Everything he said and did, perfect, your the man! Operation battery exchange was perfect in a timely mannor. Everything after him...disaster.

Future: I now have a rep named Nelson, who said he will from this moment on be handling my case personally. I like it when someone takes control of a situation. That's the sign of a strong and confident rep. Lets hope he makes this right. I will let you all know.   

Tourist

[ New ]

Very interesting. I went to look at the first packing slip they sent me. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

goblo.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, another update. I just got off the phone with Chicka...assuming I spelled this correct, and this is actually her name. I was just informed that The "fullfilment provider" is still having a system outage. So, can I assume that the entire Gopro company is completely shut down, and unable to operate? Seriously, this is out of control. When I was a manager with a huge $2,000,000+ a week store, and we had an outage...we did each transaction on paper. We never let a sale get away from us. Even our special orders and returns were processed by hand, then driven somewhere where we could fax them in. Until this whole even was corrected. Then we manually entered everything in.

***Here I am 3 months? from date of purchase, and still have never been able to film any content. I have also noticed noone from Gopro even addressing their own forums. Does anyone at Gopro truly even care? 

Also: I had to ask her why Nelson hasn't even sent a status update through email. Could of saved me a phone call. The rep I spoke with kept appologizing, and I feel bad for her. I told her this isn't your fault, you only answer the phones. But, I did tell her that I appreciate the appology. At least someone seems to feel for whats happening to me.

Gopro, why didn't you just have me go to a retail store, and pick up a new Gopro? You could of gave them a RTM credit for the transaction. You could of saved yourself 4 shipping fees, the costs of operating a "fullfilment warehouse", negative comments in the forums, and a lot of phone calls & my time for giving me excuses. Then everyone would of been happy.

Gopro I am going to need a hug after this!

GoPro

[ New ]

@locorepoman, I sent you a private message with the sales order details. Kindly check your inbox. I appreciate your time and patience.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for acknowledging. I see that it will arrive Tuesday 7/16/19. Thank you.  

Hiker

[ New ]

Thought I'd just update this post. Been really busy but did get a replacement camera back last Thursday (04/07/19).

Camera was in very good condition, clearly not new, but not worn enough to grumble. From GP getting the returned camera, to me receiving a replacement in my hands was exactly two weeks, so not too bad.

Maybe I was lucky, or someone sent in a somewhat damaged camera and expected a new one in return, I don't know. But my replacement camera is in quite acceptable condition. Generally, it's been a fairly painless experience.

On a side note - and I have no evidence that this is the case - but the replacement camera I have appears to be much more responsive and stable than the last, despite having the same firmware. So my assumption at the moment is that there are known hardware issues with the Hero 7 that cannot be fixed with firmware, hence there is no firmware update since January. Perhaps the camera I have now is a different revision of hardware? Gone are the temporary freezes, complete lock-ups and not switching off.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing @noblepike27472

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Recieved my camera a couple days ago, just did a video unboxing. Again, sent "ANOTHER DAMAGED CAMERA/REFURB". 

What is going on at Gopro @aragon1006 ????

Tourist

[ New ]

Mine was just delivered today! I can't wait to get home, open the box, and find the brand new (albiet freezing) hero 7 black I sent in was replaced with a dirty scratched up piece of **bleep** that has the exact same problems as the first one. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@locorepoman, the replacement camera doesn't come in a new packaging, it will be a like-new unit that will look and function the same as your camera before it had any issues. These cameras go through a rigorous inspection before they're shipped out. Anyhow, I can see that you've already contacted our Support team. It will be best to continue working with the team to get the process going. We appreciate your time.

GoPro

[ New ]

@mastershake, sorry to hear about the trouble. All cameras go through a quality assurance check and it is rare for a replacement to have an issue. Please let our Support team know so they can look further into the details of your case and assist you on the next process. You may provide them your Support case number or RMA number for their reference.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006  I am not working with anyone on this. But, I did make sure I called in and had them "log" the situation. I sent out a few messages since Gopro is the hardest company to communicate/deal with I have ever come across. Again, noone calls, noone writes...hmmm. 

But, if this is what you need to say to "make it look" as if I am being serviced...keep passing me up. I am 3 months in and all positive expectations are already out the window. 

I understand that all the cameras that come in the brown box are Refurbished and go through a process, But it seems its "not" as thorough as you say. I am not the only one on here recieving returned scratched/damaged items. So, excuse me if its hard to trust your statement. Not to mention, I shouldn't be recieveing a refurb anyways for a new product that never worked. It should be new for new!

How can you not even acknowledge what has happened is straight up "dishonest". If you went in to Home Depot (Just an example) and purchased a brand new expensive drill that NEVER worked. How would you like it if I made you wait more than a month or two before letting my employees give you the exchange...Then I give you a scratched/damaged unit to resolve the issue. It was new/never used...but I gave you back used...lol. Meanwhile I will never even give you the satisfaction of talking to me, only my customer service desk. AKA...my call center who is always super appologetic. But, again you will never even be given the decency to talk to me. Then I do this to you "twice" on an exchange. How would you react? Probably call my district or regional manager, and unleash your wrath to everyone you can about me. Feel cheated?....Think about it. 

I am a good Karma guy...I have never in my life used a forum to bring up an issue. I guess I was hoping someone somewhere actually cared. Even though you have unfairly treated me. I just helped my local Best Buy sell a Hero7black, and a Fusion. (2 different customers of course) I never mentioned how you treat me, but I still stepped in to help close the sale. I love customer service and sales. Just a little bit of advice...You should have traveling reps teach these guys how to use your products. I had to show them how to remove the lens for the dive housing because noone could figure it out. They didn't even know the 5 thorugh 7 accessories are interchangable. Then at Both Best Buy, and Costco....noone even knew about your Plus membership. That is one of the most amazing sales tools, and not one person knew about it. You could be making millions more in sales! I now wish I hadn't spent so much time studying your product on youtube. I know entirely too much and pretty depressed about it.    

So, basically I have been cheated out of a brand new product. I am a brand loyal guy, and have tried my best...appearently I am not valued, so I will take my business elsewhere.

Personally, at this point I wish I could just get my money back.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @locorepoman. Sorry to hear about your experience. We have already tagged the team handling your case for a review. They will update you as soon as there is new information. 

We appreciate you sharing your observation regarding what transpired in the stores. We will definitely submit a feedback to the training team. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]

One thing is for sure....GOPRO will never be short of sending second hand replacement cameras for defective new ones, there seems to be a hell of a lot sent back. Dubious whether to buy a new 7. I am on my 4th Gopro ...original, 4 silver , 5 black, (replaced once)

Tourist

[ New ]

Geeze... the last thing I would want anyone knowing is, that I was from GoPro support.!!!!

Explorer

[ New ]
I have
HD HERO (2010)
HERO2
HERO3 Black & Silver
HERO4 Silver
HERO4 Session
HERO5 Black
HERO5 Session
HERO6 Black
Fusion
HERO7 Black

All work great and have remained reliable.
Fusion is an amazing camera, but HERO7 Black is by far my favorite GoPro. I look forward to seeing what GoPro releases this Sept/Oct, but I'm so happy with the performance of the HERO7 Black, I doubt I'll be getting the next HERO model. Most likely I'll get the Fusion2 and hoping they release a more vlogging/cinematic camera.