Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro hero original HD working but doesnt read SD card or update firmware

hi there , i recently bought a second hand gopro original HD. everything works and functions n terms of charging, buttons and changing settings. however I cant update firmware following the video provided on the download page (i downloaded the correct firmware). for example my SD card has the firmware on it, and when holding down shutter first then power it does come on but i do not get the 6 beeps it just switches on as normal to the main interface/screen . I do try to go select "UP" and hold down shutter (also have been holding down shutter before doing so like in the video) and nothing happens. I connect my camera via usb cable to my laptop or pc and I cannot see the SD card,but I can see it when i use it in my SD card reader ( i have a class 10 16gb Sandisk card). your assistance will be greatly appreciated , thank you all in advance :)

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Gopro hero original HD working but doesnt read SD card or update firmware

and yeah this is all because I havent even gotten to recording anything yet since purchasing and charging it so Im hoping this will help make that happen!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @daniels382. Is the downloaded firmware update file the only content of the SD card before putting it back in the camera? Please also make sure that you use a recommended card for the HERO HD Orginal. The HD HERO Original & HD HERO 960 Cameras require a Class 4 SD card up to 32 GB.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Marius, thank you for your response!

So yeah the firmware update is the only file on the SD card.

I have attached a picture of the SD card maybe I was incorrect regarding the type? Please do let me know :) thanks again!
16001720201329071336126518938629.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Also do you mean that the HD hero can only take up to class 4 SD and nothing higher? Or only from class 4 upwards. Just to confirm.
Highlighted
GoPro

@daniels382, Sandisk Ultra isn't one of the microSD cards known to work well with GoPro cameras. To consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera, it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have. Check this article to see our list of the most up-to-date GoPro recommended microSD cards.