Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro hero 8 wind noise!

Has anyone else used the camera in a chest mount and found that the noise is terrible, compared to my hero 7 black. The settings show it as having the wind auto reduction on, so stuck on whether the settings I have are effecting it or maybe have a dud camera?
Massively disappointing as I get every new version that comes out and they have always been great out of the box. Sadly not this one though.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tourist

Re: Gopro hero 8 wind noise!

Put the "Wind" setting to auto and put "Raw Audio" too low, medium or high depending on your use case.

Hiker

What page # is the "wind setting" on in the manual? Thanks

Tourist

Yes mine 8s the same, I had the wind reduction turned on haswell, I didn't have raw audio on so am going to try that.
I contacted Gopro and they just told me to do a manual update by downloading the latest version on a pc computer to a sd card, then insert into the camera that way.
Not sure why that's different to the App version.
Sadly I don't even think my pc will turn so I might be up a creek !
The wind option is in the same menus as the colour, frame rate etc
Here's a link to a comparison I did between the 8 and 7 black
https://youtu.be/XVVOoucRtMA
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Yeah, the 8 sounds like crap. Every Youtube video I have seen though shows the GP 8 having great mics. I just got my GP 8 today, but already having an issue with it. Some crazy blue dot on the screen that moves around as I move the camera.

GoPro

Hi @mtbohana

If you haven't yet, please update your camera manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team regarding the blue dot on your camera.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

I have manually updated the camera, but to try and improve the poor quality audio and not a blue dot issue what ever that is.
From looking into the audio issue on YouTube it seems to be everyone who uses it for mountain biking had the same problem.
Guess it's just a £400 vlogging camera now and not an action camera
Hiker

Has anyone tried stickover or micover products from Amazon for wind noise suppresion?

I've seen SnowboardProCamp on YouTube uses something similar and covers his GoPro 8 in some sort of dead cat material.

To see what I mean search YouTube for SnowboardProCamp 2020 Snowboard Gear Part 2 - GoPro's, Essentials & Backcountry

Have a look 50 seconds into his video. I've attached a screenshot of the setup.

If anyone knows where to get that materail from, please let us know.

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 21.04.17.png