Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Gopro hero 8 water inside

[ New ]

Hello,

I had a problem with my GoPro Hero 8 bought on March 2020. I checked it was everything closed and I've put it in a river just under the surface of the water, no more in deep, for less than 30 seconds of immersion. Few minutes later everything was working, and I was able to see all the shots I made, and the same half an hour later. Then, I put it in the backpack and about 2 hour later its immersion I was not able to turn it on, there was just the red front light working, no flashing. I opened the battery compartement and I saw there was water inside of it. I tried some time after to turn it on and at that time there were the front and the back lights flashing, but no signs of life by the camera. Now it is in a box with plenty of rice around it, trying to catch some water. What can I do to make it work again? The sd although it was wet is still working, can it be just a problem of battery? The guarantee does it cover the problem (I have no gopro plus)?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Davide

Adventurer

Re: Gopro hero 8 water inside

[ New ]

As we here can discuss the issue, at gopro.com/contactus you can talk with and chat with the Official  gopro agents, or wait for a webhost mod & admin to  say

Hi @davidet248 

So long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO5 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing.
Let our Support Team take a look at what happened. 
You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

The Warranty covers just the camera. negilgence, wear and tear, and accedental damage, they are not covered, if the camera is Defective,  software/hardware gave.  they will warranty, Water is not covered at all,  all this can be found by  navigating the warranty. 

Let GoPro their reps offer you options of what to do, and  We all want to hear what they did, for you?

40% retail is their  option

some even get a one time replacement

If you taken out the Plus plan  at any time you can use that. if you do that prior to  calling, read between the lines.

Tourist

[ New ]

If the specs of the camera state it's waterproof down to 10m without a housing and it leaks when it's just been placed in a few cm of water then water MUST absolutely be covered in the warranty by law. GoPro don't get to pick and choose under which circumstances their warranty applies. If the specs state one thing and reality is another then the warranty stands.

Nomad

[ New ]

Actually they state in their warranty that they don't cover water damage.

So the issue is can you "prove" that all the doors were closed properly and yet water got in, that's what it comes down to.

GoPro "may" offer a replacement, they may just offer a discount on a new camera.  You can always get a GoPro Plus subscription and trade in your camera and get a new one for a cost (about 1/3 the price of a new camera).

Plenty of people have had their camera underwater with no issues, however my own opinion is that if I ever have my camera underwater, I'm going to put a dive suit on it first regardless of what the camera claims..... just to expensive to trust anyone's claims.

Like Fishy said, contact customer service directly, see what they have to say...

Tourist

[ New ]
That sounds incredibly anti consumer. The more I read about GoPro, the more I regret my purchase.
Nomad

[ New ]

I think when life gives you lemons........  you take those lemons, put them in a sack and beat that person that gave them to you around the head with that sack.

Ask for an RMA, if they refuse, find a local ombudsman or better business bureau contact and let them handle it.  That's what they are there for.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Timex 10 feet done in. and they said water resistance Lol nuff said but  waterproof