Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro hero 8 gets hot issue?

[ New ]
hi so i bought the gopro hero 8 and i been having an issue with it and i dont know if its normal. So when recording at 2.7k 60 fps or 2.7k at 120fps or 1080p at 60fps the camera gets hot the first five munutes of recording or even when the camera is not recording its hot. So not hot to the point of giving me a burn mark but hot to the touch and unconfortable. Specially at the bottom feet. Now yes im using 2 recommended sd cards. One is the one that came with it sandisk extreme 32gb and the second i bought is samsung evo plus 120gb both from recommended list. And also yes i manually updated the firmware 3 times no issue with the downlad or install of firmware. To those who have a gopro hero 8 black is this normal getting hot like this? Hot to be unconfortable the first few minutes? it hasnt over heated to shut down so thats good. Please help and thank you in advance
GoPro

Re: Gopro hero 8 gets hot issue?

[ New ]

Hi @loyalridge6710,

May I know how exactly do you use your camera?

Are you using your camera during daytime and receiving direct sun light?

Are you using it indoor or outdoor?

If you're using it outdoor and the camera receives direct sunlight then it might overheat since you're recording at high resolution with high frame rate. 

But if you're using it indoor I would suggest to contact GoPro customer support. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
It got hot while testing it inside at home at night. I have contacted two of the tech support on gopro but they give me different answers. One said its normal because high frame rate and using 2.7k and up will heat up faster and Other said its not normal and to return for an exchange? So i dont know if this is normal
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

It really depends on how hot it is @loyalridge6710,

Do you know exactly how hot is it? 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
i dont have anything to check the temperature but again it gets hot speacially on the bottom feet. Hot to feel unconfortable.Not hot to burn me and have not had the overheat shutdown but the most i recorded non stop was 10 minutes and it was hot. Now if this is during a cool night. how hot will it get when the outside temperature gets to 90 degrees and up?
GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @loyalridge6710,

It would be best to have it replaced. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
ok so its not very normal. Thanks will go and exchange