Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro hero 8 Night lapse shows stripes

[ New ]

Hi, 

Last weekend, I took some Nightlapses at Sequoia NP. But, when checking the videos, I see some lines rolling over the image. 

I'm interested if I did something wrong, or selected a wrong setting. 

I grabbed 1 image from the nightlapse and added it to this post. Next to that, I also see quite some blue and red pixels. Is this normal as well. 

Thanks in advance! :-) 

Jordy

NighLapse_Sequoia.jpg
GoPro

Re: Gopro hero 8 Night lapse shows stripes

[ New ]

Hi @jordy2505

Sorry for any trouble caused.

This has been raised to the team in charge and we are waiting for updates.

We'll let you know through this thread once new information is available.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

hi Ej, 

Is this for both the lines in the image and the red/blue pixels? 

Kind regards,

Jordy

Backpacker

[ New ]

The lines can be caused by electronic interference.  I would check your power cable (if you used an external power supply) to make sure it's a properly shielded cable.  I also tend to turn off WiFi on my camera as I used to have the same issue with the GoPro Hero 4 black (and turning off WiFi stopped the lines issue).

The blue and red pixels are possible "Hot" pixels.  Try doing a manual firmware update of your camera to see if this removes them.  If not, I would ask for an exchange as it's most likely a fault with the sensor.  Many people have reported the exact same issue and unfortunately it seems to be a manufacturing defect with the sensor.  Just be warned if they do exchange the camera, you could end up with a camera with the same issue.

Adventurer

[ New ]

do you think the scroll lines is flicker, the gopro cable does not have a  filter on it called (on the tip of my tongue)  but irixpanda knows IT lOL.

For the Sony sensor issue of red and blue dots as noted by gopro they are with a fix. stay tuned for it.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

the parts we used are called Ferrits, consist of a   magnetic  shield that wraps over the cable  to take away the  issues caused by signal.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

First, thanks for the response! Smiley Happy
I'm already glad, it seems I didn't do anything woring with the settings. 

I didn't use an external power source. 

But, I'll give it a try switching off wifi. Since, it was quite dark, I tried to set up the GoPro via wifi on my phone. 

Next week, we're going to Zion NP and I hope to get rid of the lines. 

W.r.t the red/blue pixels, I'll do a manual SW-upgrade. Let's see if it works, but I also already read on other posts it's likely a HW-issue. 

Thank you for your reply! 

Jordy

Adventurer

[ New ]

good luck I am with the red and blue dots and  you can check that thread out about it  anotehr no te is to check your whitebalance and  protune setting

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks!
Whitebalance, good point! I think I put it to a certain value instead of auto (I assume that’s good, right?). But I’m not 100% sure anymore, will pay attention to it next time!
The protune was set to “GoPro”, is it better to set it to flat?

Thanks!
Adventurer

[ New ]

a lot we can do you gots to try out what works for your situations  glad to help .

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi all,
This week, I tried some suggestions and tips and took a new nightlapse.
But no improvements unfortunately... 😟

Quick summary of the settings used:
- shutter time: 30sec
- time lapse interval: auto
- whitebalance: fixed to 4500k
- iso Max: 800
- EV: 0 or -1 (I’m not sure if this. Read once -1 should be better)
- WiFi/gps: off to avoid interference.
- no external power source connected.

But if I try to optimize the images for sharing online, it’s not usable...

Attached the movie.

Also, I see a huge amount of blue pixels. I also tried to do a manual FW update.

Anyone an idea to improve this or knows what could cause these stripes? This image was taken on a camping close to Zion NP, so almost no light-pollution or interference possible 😂
2D8D232D-EF64-4D6E-A8CD-69610787390B.png