Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro hero 7 keeps adding constant highlights and switches modes

[ New ]
Whenever I film with my new gopro hero 7 black in either timelapse or video it adds a highlight tag about every second without me doing anything. Is there any way to fix the problem or disable highlights?
Another unrelated problem has been that when I stop recording or take a photo the camera beeps eratically and starts switching between modes then lands on some random one (never the mode I started on). this makes it so that every time i want to record I have to make sure it is on the right mode...
and the red LED lights don't work on the front anymore.. but that is small compared to the other issues.
GoPro

Re: Gopro hero 7 keeps adding constant highlights and switches modes

[ New ]

Hi @wills88175

Please see if resetting the camera will work.  Reset Camera Settings
If it's still the same, proceed with a manual software update. https://gopro.com/update/
Let us know how it goes.

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs        

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Ej

I previously tried doing the factory reset, and I did the manual software update but to no avail. 

recently all of the red LEDs have stopped working as well. I made sure they were all turned on in settings and still, none worked.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing @wills88175

Please let our Support Team check on this further.

Regards,

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue on my Hero6 Black.  I tried resetting, manual update, to no avail.  Help Please!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alertboost0130

If you have gone through the suggested steps above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Has this been resolved? I have the exact same issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sweetflash18

Were you able to try the steps above?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

no resolution yet. I tried all the suggested fixes and updated the camera to the most recent software. I plan to contact customer support to see if they can help me. I have friends with the same camera and no problems, but my issues just keep getting worse

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @wills88175

If you have gone through the steps above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team to move forward with your concern.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi

I have the very same issues with my GoPro Hero 7

It beeps erratically when switching on or when it is plugged in and charging, switches modes (film/foto) by itself, and constantly adds Hilights about every second when filming (not within the very first about 5 seconds, but from then on).

I resetted to factory defaults

I updated to newest software (1.80)

it's barely usable now.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @linusbecker.  Have you done the update manually? Which SD card are you using? Has the camera been able to connect to a Smart remote or the GoPro App? 

Sightseer

[ New ]

- I'm using a Samsung EVO Plus 256 GByte

- I've updated from 1.7 to 1.8 via the GoPro-app (Iphone) - it asked me whether I want to update (what do you mean by "manually"?)

- no problems connecting to the iOS app (I do not have a smart-remote)

The problems were not since the beginning (I bought it some months ago). I was able to use the camer for quite a while with this SD Card and the pre-installed software.

Then the problems appeared "out of nowhere" with for me no apparent trigger.

(I just tried again, after re-inserting the SD Card. I have to correct my previous statement on the HiLights: the are added  from the very beginning of filming, about once a second...)

GoPro

[ New ]

@linusbecker, you may try to manually reinstall the firmware update (v1.8) for your camera. Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, I have the same issue and every time I stop recording, it will change to another mode! Tried reset and manual update but no luck! Plz give solution cuz I live in Iraq and there is no support team here!
Thanks
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bawan

Which mode does it switch to?

Are you using Quikcapture to initiate recording?

Would you be able to share a video showing the error?

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, I have the same problem, it just started today. There must be some kind of problem with the power button, since that is the button that creates higlights. I have had some other problems with my hero 7 black too like its turning on automatically sometimes. Idk how to solve it, maybe it has to be taken to a store to open the camera, there is somekind of loose connection probably. It is really annoying and makes gopro almost unusable. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @toughdusk70563

Please see if resetting the camera will work.  Reset Camera Settings
If it's still the same, proceed with a manual software update. https://gopro.com/update/
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

hello aragon1006

I Resetted the camera settings, did not help. Then I updated the camera manually, did not work either. I am really dissappointed, this is my first gopro and it is bought this year. I am doing a long travel in South america and really need my gopro to work properly.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for trying @toughdusk70563

The best path forward is to reach out to our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Team
I have the same issue here.
Here is the background . I am currently traveling in Tibet so I am using the machine 4-5 hours per day with no problem. I t is kind of cold here but it wears the waterproof case just for protection and as a holder. Until today , my gopro was perfectly fine. I tried the method you provided . I reset the machine many times and upgrade , downgrade to 1.7 and upgrade to 1.8 again and reset it again. I think the issue is like a combination of hardware and software, mostly software. I try to use voice control , gopro app and the button to take a picture. It give me the same result as changing the mode. I think the problem is that anytime the machine call the function recording or take a pic it will simultaneously call another function to hit the power button once or twice. That's why when you recording , the highlight added or limit reached kept popping. And when you hit the shoot button , it will automatically change to another mode because the software keep hitting the power button. I don't think it's the hardware problem since I already checked the button and it is firm and no loose. If it is the hardware problem, how come the effect can be seen when you using voice control. Hope you guys fix the issue soon.
I check my machine status and it always start showing highlight added after 2 second of recording. Hope you guys can help me solve this problem.
Explorer

[ New ]
Have you tried doing a Factory Reset?

While you may be right about the software, it doesn't quite add up since I'm on the 1.8 firmware and don't have this issue. In fact, it seems that very few people do. I would think that if it was firmware related, it should effect all cameras that get the update.

I know people hate hearing this, but have you also tried with different SD cards?
Tourist

[ New ]
@danielr15 I tried each reset under the folder of reset. The problem still there. Also, I change another SD card. The problem still there. We have enough cases here to proof that it is a bug, not an anomaly.
Explorer

[ New ]
Well, it is an anomaly, just that it is effecting more than one person. Still an anomaly due to it not effecting the majority of cameras. I'd be looking for a camera replacement, because like I said, this isn't effecting ALL cameras with the update, so it's more likely to be hardware (possibly the CPU) related.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Revert to 1.51 firmware then reload fw 1.70   see if that  clears the issue, ifnot then firmware has a bug that can not be cleared.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi @aragon1006
While pressing record button on all resolutions and frames on video mode, it will start recording with no issues but after one second hilight start appearin each second till I stop recording. Then I hit the shutter button to stop recording, video recording stop normally and switch immediately to the next mode ( picture mode) like you pressed the mode button!!! Then I have to press the mode again till I go back to video mode!!
I use quickcapture but even when I turn it of from the setting, problem still there.
I tried all the methods and put another Sandisk extreme xc1 128gb but no luck.
It's look like something hitting the mode button but everything is fine with my cam not even a drop.
Plz help cuz I live in Iraq and here we don't have support center

https://youtu.be/X7cicuGe4x8

this is a video of my camera
Tourist

[ New ]
Dear Mr. @aragon1006
Ive tried downgrade to V1. 51 and upgrade to V2. 01 and still not fixed. Kindly help me here if there is something else I can do to fix this issue.
Regards
Tourist

[ New ]
I contacted GoPro support over the phone, and they have confirmed that it is a hardware problem and cannot be fixed without sending it in. I recently sent mine in and have not gotten it back yet but I can update when I do.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bawan. Thank you for the update. At this time, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team. They will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs .

Sightseer

[ New ]
Did you end up getting your camera back?

Mine started doing this same thing this week. On current firmware version 1.90
Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro support was great and sent me a completely new hero 7 no questions asked. It works fine and all the previous problems were fixed, except no matter what I do it will not connect to my Mac with a usb cable. I have tried all the tricks people suggest online but no lock. This is a minor problem as I often just take the card out anyways but it is a little annoying. Overall the GoPro support has been great but the product seems to have some issues.
Tourist

[ New ]
No I couldn't send it back since we don't have support center in my country! Whoever, I figured out that the front LED is causing the problem! I switched it of and left the back LED on and the issue were solved! Now it's working properly! So if you have this issue, try to keep only back light on (Record Led) and turn off the front, this may resolve the problem
Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks Bawan,
I have been having the same problem, and turning the front LED off has fixed it!
Cheers