Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro hero 7 Black overheat after New firmware update 1.70

[ New ]
Hi. Just want to pointed out after my latest update to the v. 1.70 gopro only allow me to record about 12 minutes then notification of over heated appear and shutdown. Was it meant to be heated more to cater the use in low temperature environment? Also i will need to disable auto light function to prevent the video freezing when ending the video it freeze each time I press to stop recording. Previous firmware 1.61 not having this issue at all. But unfortunately those above said issues start to happend even through I downgraded to v. 1.61 (been resetting few time but issue not solved, wish I never update to 1.71 and regrets it). All update done manually and micro sd card sandisk extreme pro v30 A1.
Hiker

Re: Gopro hero 7 Black overheat after New firmware update 1.70

[ New ]
Update: ending video freezing as well if protube turning on. I only can now using my gopro with auto low light off with protine off. I using Gimbal feiyutech g6 plus. Previous version 1.61 working fine until latest update 1.70. Anyone facing the same issue like me? Any solution will be very much appreciated. Tq
Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same problem , can someone please help .
Hiker

[ New ]
@costinalex. Hmmm. None of the gopro team reply to this. Great job gorpo. I think as long we post to the forum they will notified about the issue. Hoping the next update will solved the issue. Or else my Gimbal will be useless.
Nomad

[ New ]

If overheating is occuring and you're using a Gimbal, have you also turned off the stabilization in the GoPro camera itself?  The more you reduce the workload on the camera, the cooler it will run.  

Hiker

[ New ]
Previous firmware 1.61 works great although stabilisation is turn on. Version 1.7 both turn on and off stabilisation experience heat up. And Gimbal start stop button not working well most the time ending video experience freezing.
Tourist

[ New ]

I lost the old firmware file(1.61) , can you please give me a link where I can download the update ?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @costinalex,

Sorry but we don't have a copy of the older version. 

Regards,

-Jay

Sightseer

[ New ]

Due to issues with Hero 7 1.71 up date I've gone back to 1.51. Downloadable from techspot.

Hiker

[ New ]
Firmware 1.51 having panning and battery not fully charge to 100% issue.
Hiker

[ New ]

Here's the update after downloading v1.7 update to reflash... good news I can shut down the camera. Bad news I cannot connect to Quik app either on phone or notebook! Tried wifi or usb cable reset reinstall both just won't detect the camera. I am now unable to connect via wifi or usb anymore... this has got to be the worst update ever! previous updates no such issues.🤬

Everyone please AVOID v1.7 update! 
Great I just found out after reflash the gopro no longer able to connect to notebook via usb. It only charges when connected.

Hiker

[ New ]

Update: shooting in 1080 footage work fine with gimbal with auto low light ON and hypersmooth ON. i only experience 1 time freezing when ending video using gimbal. Shooting above 1080 most the time will freeze.... I think is something due to the new feature hypersmooth or ram even the new chip gh7 black had.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes seems too buggy for me lost some crutial shots due to freezing... worst is batt sometimes just goes to zero when it's off! 

Hiker

[ New ]

My battery was ok. Draining the max 5% sometime still 100% after 24 hrs. i have both vietnam and china battery but notice vietnam battery can hold more charge and have me extra minute of recording. Im ok with it. Just make sure you did re-flashing your camera and turn of wireless, voice command, gps when not using it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

1.7 v. makes me mad. From time to time gopro 7 black doesnt respond to any buttons, I have to reinsert the battery to make it work again. That is crazy.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I was thinking about upgrading to the Hero 7.  Maybe not until I see some resolutions to these issues.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @paulp11488.  Removing and re-placing the battery is an unnecessary step. If the camera was not updated manually to version 1.7, try re-flashing camera firmware following the steps below: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that a formatted, recommended SD card is used. If the issue persists, let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. They can be reached through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Tourist

[ New ]

Gopro 7 black ver1.7 is overheating and frozing in timelapse mode and in video mode. I need older version of firmware. Gopro corp help.

I have proper sd card.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bartsta,

Have you already tried manually updating your camera firmware? If you haven't yet, please do so following the steps below: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that your SD card is one of the recommended cards on this list. Save the contents of your SD card first, then format it before the update process. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

It probably solved the problem. I will check it.

Thank you Marius.

GoPro

[ New ]

Feel free to post back if something comes up @bartsta

Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Camera works 3 days and then screen going to black. I can film make photo but I can’t control camera on screen . I install software again but nothing happens. I can control GoPro only with smartphones.
I start to think of it to be the worst purchases before the holidays.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bartsta. In that case, please get in touch with our Support team so they can assist you further. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once connected, you may direct them to this thread for reference on what has been done already. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]
The camera was refused to the warranty store. It's not repaired. The money was returned. Question buy 7 or waiting for 8? I have 2 batteries and other parts case etc.