Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro hero 5 video has no sound.

" I checked with our Support Team and they are not aware of any issues like this."

Woooooot?! Haha. I have returned my GoPro because of no sound issue! I have more, listen ;). One of their employe told me that he asked IT and they don't know anything about "no sound issue"... like there was no problem at all. I think that there was 0 "talking to IT" and it's only bull***t to make us happy. I think IT and support are in diffrent places. I am so pissed off.

Well, yeah, "lets make anything and our marketing will sell it"...

Highlighted
Hiker

One more thing.

I've just imported one of my "no sound" files from my old/1st GP5 into Sony Movie Studio. After set dB to max everywhere I could there is some audio... very quiet. There is around 10% of normal audio but also a lot of noise and high frequency "pip-pip's" like insects or something.

That is everything I could get from these files.

I've asked one of your employe (while returning my camera to you) to move this unit to IT for tests. I'm not even trying to believe that he did it so... find that unit, test it, fix it ;].

Highlighted
Tourist

@flaj wrote:

One more thing.

I've just imported one of my "no sound" files from my old/1st GP5 into Sony Movie Studio. After set dB to max everywhere I could there is some audio... very quiet. There is around 10% of normal audio but also a lot of noise and high frequency "pip-pip's" like insects or something.

That is everything I could get from these files.

Exactly the same here, there is come chirping and noise if you crank up the volume. I'm using Wings Platinum 5 to edit my videos, so the probability that the sound is actually missing is high and that it's either Sony's or Wing's fault is low.

Bernd

PS I have updated my Hero 5 black to FW 2.6 (using Quik). I have not had the problem since, but on the other had I did not do alot of testing, in particular I'm suspicious if the tests are really uncovering the problem. In my case the problem showed up in maybe 2 out of 100 recordings. Given that if I want to know with a five sigma safety margin that the problem is fixed I need to take more than 400 testvideos. I specifically asked if they did anything on sound in 2.6 (the release notes only state "general improvement and bug fixes", which of course is totally fuzzy. You never can "test-in" software quality, software quality needs to be designed in, mybe they should hire people who are knowledgable on that and follow strict rules in the process of releasing software.

Btw. never had this problem with the Hero 5 Session.

"It's quality if the customer comes back and not the goods"

Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 Black from Costco

I just got back from a shoot....the last four shots of the shoot (most important interviews) have no audible sound. Everything before that was great with lots of level showing on VU meters....but for the last four shots I can see just a small amount of level in the VU meters (I'm using adobe premier CC) but nothing coming out of the speakers. Audio won't play from the camera either. But there does seem to be a small amount of sound bouncing at -50db on the sound meters.

I'm a video producer and I work with audio every day in Adobe premier....never seen anything like this....

--------------I paused and brought the files into adobe audition -----------------------------------------

I'm not an expert in audition but I played around with reversing the phase and was able to get some (although very scratchy and low quality) audio out of it. You can hear the voices and they are almost recognizable,

There is clearly a go pro issue here and if I was a sound engineer I might be able to tell you what the issue is. The issue is intermittent and it does render the sound useless unless processed somehow.

What a bummer!!!

Highlighted
Hiker

In thisYouTube video on the Seth's Bike Hacks channel, the author tests the GoPro Fusion and at the 5:20 mark mentions some audio issues he experienced with it, including an instance where audio was not recorded at all. Looks like the Hero 5 is not the only model with this issue... Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Hiker

was talking with support via chat. Every issue report was swiped under the carpet. "it is normal", "we never noticed that kind of issues" or "maybe try with diffrent memory card". In last 1-1,5 years GoPro became worth nothing for me.

Take a look at firmware download page via PC and mobile. Then you will notice that firm version is 2.6 via PC website and 2.51 when visited via mobile. I told them about this issue but as many other reports it has been ignored.

GoPro became blind for many problems and pretend that they never exist and we are only costumers that will buy what ever garbage they will make.

I swear, GP5 was the last GP I've ever had. No for GP6 and NO for GP7, cause I know there will by problems on very basic level.

A the moment:

- no sound in around 5% of videos

- no spotmeter in photo RAW (there is in timelaps with same setting, gopro told it's normal... well, it's not)

- spontaneous turning ON while connected to PC for charging

- spontaneous turning ON while completlu turned OFF (even with voice control set to OFF)

- around 5% of situations when after turning OFF cam is not turned OFF, just black screen that looks like it's OFF

- touch screen allmost not working with swipes (and it's full of swipe options... what a comedy)

- for GoPro sometimes "hahaha" or "refrigerator" means "GoPro take a photo" and "GoPro turn off" means nothing

- changing resolution resets shutter speed but remember all other settings

- when browsing DCIM via GP5 connected to PC there are NO RAW timelapse photos, but when browsing the same folder via card adapter they are there... so many timelapses has been gone because of never fixed bug. They were all there but deleted by my self because I didn't seen them

- freezing when browsing media after timelaps shot

well... they say everything is juuuuuust fine ;]...

Highlighted
Hiker

Seems that GoPro will only respond when they feel the financial pinch of sales loss.  

I've had friends ask me about GoPro cameras and I've been advising them to avoid buying them like the plague and will continue to do so until GoPro smartens up and deals with this "no sound" issue.  

As consumers who've bought malfunctioning cameras, we're pretty much screwed.  If we return the camera, they just send back another piece of junk.  The GP5 Black was the first and last GoPro I'll be buying.  

The dumbest thing a company can do is not support their products.  It's disappointing to see that GoPro has chosen to take that route....... 

Highlighted
Hiker

>Seems that GoPro will only respond when they feel the financial pinch of sales loss.  

Looks like they already are but I think that will make them even less likely to support old models:

GoPro Lays Off 250+ Employees, Will Exit the Drone Market