Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro hero 5 video has no sound.

Only route is to raise a support ticket and if they accept its an issue send it back, I have had no issues with the support team so far, called on Monday, they acknowledged the issue by Tuesday, had it posted back on Tuesday, landed in Holland and delivered to them today, pending their review and sending out a replacement, I would hope they have thoroughly tested the replacement!!.

Highlighted
Hiker

With intermittent issues such as I'm experiencing, it's difficult to confirm that the camera will be OK unless subjected to long term testing which I doubt is happening. 

Good luck with you new camera.  Please do keep us posted regarding how well the replacement works out. 

Hopefully, they have it figured out.  However, I suspect that if they did have the problem nailed down, they'd issue a service bulletin or some other form of notice advising customers of the "no sound" problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

I was chating with support some time ago (maybe 2-3 months ago max) and they told me something like "I was asking our IT but they never heard about this sound issue"... my God, so what are they doing there? I gues all hands are working on Hero6, but we are costumers... If Hero5 issues won't be fixed, then I'm not that sure if Hero6 will be perfect.

My mayor question for GoPro support (and IT also ;] ) is: is that hardware or software issue, any firmware update comming? I'm tired of replacing second unit and being pretty sure that new one will be crap like the other ones... for me it's 30$ shiping costs to another country ;/. Is this you curse? One year before I was replacing two Silver4 and one Black4, all with sound helicopter noise, now Black5... **bleep** you GoPro!

GoPro please, answer: are you at least working on it?!?

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,

I've been using my Hero 5 Black for a while now and hadn't experienced this problem until two weeks ago when I took part in an enduro  mountain bike race. The race consisted of three short downhill stages each of which I recorded. On playback I noticed that the second video has no sound, as you can view here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVIrk4lcae0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJP3reF9JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5UWVZOi3UI

As far as I can remember I didn't change any settings between recordings. I was using the Linear FOV setting, 1080@50fps, no pro-tune. I running the 2.51 firmware.

I noticed that if I turn the volume on video 2 up to maximum you can just hear some pops that seem roughly related to noises made by my bike on the video but they are still extremely quiet, even when playing back on a TV via HDMI with the TV volume on max.

I am also using the clear plastic camera housing to protect the camera in the event of a crash. Has anyone else experienced the sound problems when using the clear case? I don't use the frame case at all, except when using the camera as a dash cam in the car.

My stage three run of the Sprint event at the 2017 Ard Rock Enduro Festival in Fremington, N. Yorkshire, UK. Lost some time in a boggy section and encountere...
My stage one run of the Sprint event at the 2017 Ard Rock Enduro Festival in Fremington, N. Yorkshire, UK. First time at the event and I was totally exhauste...
My stage two run of the Sprint event at the 2017 Ard Rock Enduro Festival in Fremington, N. Yorkshire, UK. First time at the event and I was totally exhauste...
Highlighted
Tourist

Still no reply from GOPRO support... :-( i also got those no sound problems...

Highlighted
Hiker

Mines back from RMA got a new Camera sent back, seems to be working ok for the time being, lets see how long it lasts. To be fair Support were excellent, RMA took almost 2 weeks to turnaround from the point where I raised the issue to getting a new one, they provided a free UPS Label, broken one sent back to Holland, 2 weeks to the day the replacement arrived. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Well, Good to hear that you got new unit.

To be hones, for me it's not a problem that GoPro won't replace fault unit, or they are rude or something. Nope, nothing like that happened. Mine was replace too, fast and smooth and thats super cool.

For me, main problem is that only they can do is replacing, not foxing the problem. I'm not even sure if they know that "sound-issue" even exist. Nobody from GoPro even told something like "yes, we have noticed that there may be some problems with some of our cameras, we know that and we are working on it, stay tuned". Only thing I hear is silence, and all I can read when downloading new firmware is some Quik stuff and "improvements and bug fixes"... well, what bug fixes?... count them ;].

Still waiting for perfect firmware...

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just go backt "factory setting". I had the same problem after updating, the cam recorded the sound but didn't play it. After returning to "factory setting" the problem dissapeared.