Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Gopro hero 5 video has no sound.

Hey all just want to give some info on my experience with audio issues.  I bought the gopro hero 5 black today and didn't get any audio when playing back videos.  I tried playing back on the gopro and the capture app.  I saw this forum as well as other resources online but nothing helped.  I reset my gopro to factory settings, and also updated it to the latest firmware.  What worked for me was changing the sd card. Here is the link of compatible sd cards.  https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations.  Not only was there no audio during video playback, but I also had some intermittent save issue.  The gopro seems to be functioning as expected after changing the sd card.  Hope this helps somebody.

Sightseer

@chrisediting wrote:

Great question @Anonymous.

So one your GoPro, if

you swipe down on that menu,

you can enable or disable sounds. 

@chrisediting Thank you for your reply. 

At a recent business event, when I recorder some business presentations (audio was really important) I managed to record some clips with audio and some clips without audio. Because I wouldn't like thi to happen again I want to know how this happened. I looked for the ways to disable sound also like you wrote, but I was not successful. Also others write on this forum, that it is not possible to disable sound recording. Maybe just some additional info. I was filming with GoPro Karma grip, if this makes any difference.

Thank you all in advance,

Jack

Hiker

I've owned a Hero 5 Black for just over 5 weeks and have recently experienced problems with loss of sound on recordings.  Most videos have sound but I've now had four videos that had no sound whatsoever which is extremely frustrating.  The main issue is not knowing when the next video will not record with sound? 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the fix is?  I've reloaded the most recent updates twice now.  The first time was last week after the first episodes of sound loss, the second was today after realizing the problem still exists. 

Unfortunately, the GoPro "Support" page is terribly lacking.  No one ever answers the phone - waited over half an hour today.  The "Chat" function is always overloaded and virtually unaccessible.  Seems that this camera will have to go back to GoPro.  Problem with that is trying to find out what the process/mechanism is to return it for either repair or replacement.  Once again, the GoPro site is very elusive. Starting to have buyer's remorse with this expensive, unreliable camera. 

If anyone has any insight into the sound loss problem and/or directions on where/who to contact for return of defective products, I'd really appreciate your input. 

Hiker

I have this issue on mine, had it for a couple of months and probably recorded less than 10 hours on it, RMA's back to GoPro for a replacement today. Dont know where you are but Im in the UK, called the UK number got through straight away, explained the issue, got a mail from them immediately with instructions on what they needed to validate the issue e.g. video and photos of the GoPro. First thing this morning got a mail with confirmation that its an issue and RMA instructions. 

I asked if anyone else had reported the issue, the guy said not but Im sceptical personally..

Hiker

Same problem. No sound and I'm after replacing my camera. Second unit and still, some videos has no sound. Around 5-10% of all videos has no sound at all. GoPro... fix it :(.

Hiker

It's apparent that this is a known problem.  GoPro should, at the very least, acknowledge the problem and advise owners that they're aware of the issue and are taking steps to remedy the situation.  Nothing worse than having a major malfunction and leaving affected customers in the dark. 

Seems that replacing the camera isn't the solution if the replacement has the same issue?

WHAT IS GOPRO DOING ABOUT THIS????

Tourist

Hey did you check to make sure the sd card is compatible?  https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations .Changing the sd card seemed to fix my audio issue.  This also isn't very obvious so I was jut making sure.  

Hiker

Thanks for the input. 

I have two 64 gb Lexar (recommended) class 10 micro SD cards.  I've been using only one of them.  I'll switch to the other card to see how it performs.  Hard to understand how an SD card would impede audio recording.