Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
It's time to update your HERO5 cameras... and don't forget to update your app to the new GoPro app too!
Cameras
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Gopro hero 5 black issues

My GoPro has had issues with the SD micro card as couldn't read the San disk 64gb extreme. I knew this to be the correct card so had to buy another.

Also my GoPro turned itself on. Not sure why. As well as that, everytime I delete a media file from the camera, it freezes on a dark screen and won't let me turn off. No indication of how a brand new camera can have these sort of problems.. very dissapointed.

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Gopro hero 5 black issues

I'm not a big fan of SanDisk and it seems that many people are having issues with these cards. I initially thought perhaps there were so many SanDisk issues coming up due to the popularity of the card, but several people, including myself, have been able to resolve our camera issues simply by changing to a different brand. I personally recommend Samsung Pro/Pro+ and Lexar 633X/1000X/1800X. If you can get your hands on one of these cards, I highly suggest you try one of them instead of the SanDisk you currently are using. If not, it's worth a shot with the SanDisk so you might as well. It is recommended by GoPro and some people have reported the SanDisk cards working for them.

When you go to do the manual update, please follow these steps:
Remove the SD card and battery from the camera and hold down the power (side) button for 30 seconds
Replace only the battery and fully charge your camera.....while it's charging do steps 3-6
Format your SD card in your computer leaving the SD card name blank
Download the manual update (when you get to the page to download you will press the button twice, once to create the firmware and a second time to download)
Put the Update (not Update.zip) folder on your SD card
With a fully charged battery...
Put the SD card into your camera and allow it to complete the update (it will power on and off so wait for the check mark on the front screen)
Format your SD Card in your HERO5 Black
Power your camera down using the side button
Remove the battery and wait 15 seconds
Remove the SD card
Re-insert the SD card
Re-insert the battery
Power on your camera using the side button
Take two pictures
Record a test video
Connect to the Capture app and scroll to the bottom of settings and press Date/Time to set the date and time on your camera

If this doesn't resolve the issue, contacting GoPro Support Team is your next best option.

Just a few tips to keep your SD cards trouble free.
Start with a new SD card, format it and then download the manual update to it (even if you are on the latest firmware)
Before you ever turn the camera on for the first time, charge it completely and do the manual update
Don't use the SD card in other devices (including other GoPro cameras)
Format your card periodically and then download the manual update to it (depending on how often you use your camera this could be once a month, quarterly, or just every few weeks.
NEVER delete just one file off of the card. This lessens the life of the SD card and can cause errors/corrupt files.
Offload your content to your computer each time you are done shooting and delete all of the files from the SD card (files, not folders)
Only use recommended SD cards. I personally only use Samsung Pro/Pro Plus and occasionally Lexar 633X or 1000X

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

@foggyshore35236 - Freezing and screen issues are often signs that there is an issue with the camera's firmware. The best first step is to update the firmware by doing a manual update. Instructions on how to do this are at https://gopro.com/update/hero5.

If, after doing the update, you still have issues, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus can troubleshoot the issues with you.

Thanks,
Jeff

Backpacker

I'm not a big fan of SanDisk and it seems that many people are having issues with these cards. I initially thought perhaps there were so many SanDisk issues coming up due to the popularity of the card, but several people, including myself, have been able to resolve our camera issues simply by changing to a different brand. I personally recommend Samsung Pro/Pro+ and Lexar 633X/1000X/1800X. If you can get your hands on one of these cards, I highly suggest you try one of them instead of the SanDisk you currently are using. If not, it's worth a shot with the SanDisk so you might as well. It is recommended by GoPro and some people have reported the SanDisk cards working for them.

When you go to do the manual update, please follow these steps:
Remove the SD card and battery from the camera and hold down the power (side) button for 30 seconds
Replace only the battery and fully charge your camera.....while it's charging do steps 3-6
Format your SD card in your computer leaving the SD card name blank
Download the manual update (when you get to the page to download you will press the button twice, once to create the firmware and a second time to download)
Put the Update (not Update.zip) folder on your SD card
With a fully charged battery...
Put the SD card into your camera and allow it to complete the update (it will power on and off so wait for the check mark on the front screen)
Format your SD Card in your HERO5 Black
Power your camera down using the side button
Remove the battery and wait 15 seconds
Remove the SD card
Re-insert the SD card
Re-insert the battery
Power on your camera using the side button
Take two pictures
Record a test video
Connect to the Capture app and scroll to the bottom of settings and press Date/Time to set the date and time on your camera

If this doesn't resolve the issue, contacting GoPro Support Team is your next best option.

Just a few tips to keep your SD cards trouble free.
Start with a new SD card, format it and then download the manual update to it (even if you are on the latest firmware)
Before you ever turn the camera on for the first time, charge it completely and do the manual update
Don't use the SD card in other devices (including other GoPro cameras)
Format your card periodically and then download the manual update to it (depending on how often you use your camera this could be once a month, quarterly, or just every few weeks.
NEVER delete just one file off of the card. This lessens the life of the SD card and can cause errors/corrupt files.
Offload your content to your computer each time you are done shooting and delete all of the files from the SD card (files, not folders)
Only use recommended SD cards. I personally only use Samsung Pro/Pro Plus and occasionally Lexar 633X or 1000X