Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro false advertising? Mic Adapater Hero9 Black disabled in FW update

[ New ]

I want to know if and why Gopro deliberately disabled the mic adapater on the Gopro Hero9  Black. Was it intentional? Is this a bug? I seriously would not have purchased this cam if I knew that. I checked before ordering, and Gopro website says it will work. Then I try it and it does not work. I was told it worked before the new FW update, but I did not try it before I updated.

I want to hear from Gopro about this.  If this was intentional I also want to know that.

hero9 black mic adapter not working pointers.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Gopro false advertising? Mic Adapater Hero9 Black disabled in FW update

[ New ]

"Note: We’ve had to temporarily disable external mic functionality on the HERO9 Black without the Media Mod to fix some bugs."
https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

Having this same issue. I the 9 solely for using the mic adapter for, worked prior to updating and would be able to select input 

/output, now that menu isn't even displayed. Very irritated as now I can have my headset audio go to the GoPro in my aircraft.

Hiker

[ New ]
Come on GOPRO. Communicate with your customers.
Hiker

[ New ]

@bwx232 wrote:
Come on GOPRO. Communicate with your customers.

I just received this from GoPro support from the ticket I opened with them a couple of days ago about this:

"Good day, I hope this email finds you well. 

This is regarding using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter to your HERO9 Black camera, as we further check this issue, there's no input/output feature for the HERO9 Black camera, you need a Media Mod for the HERO9 Black in order to use an external microphone. 

For reference, I attached the Product Manual here. 

Please do not reply back on this email since we will be unable to receive it. Should you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to set up a callback/chat on our website (https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs)  and we'd be more than happy to help! 

Stay safe, Rafael!

Best Regards, 

Anna B. 
GoPro Support"

Nomad

[ New ]

Well that was the worlds worst response.  I mean seriously GoPro, you're just shooting yourself in the foot with that one.  A user clearly posts a screen shot showing the GoPro Mic adapter as being compatible with the GoPro Hero 9 and then the GoPro support says it's not?  WTH?

OK, so as far as I'm aware, with the initial GoPro Hero 9 Firmeware, the Mic Adapter worked.  With the updated Firmware, the Mic Adapter stopped working.

I'm wondering if the firmware was updated for Webcam use..... so... Could someone check the following?

Go into connections on your camera and check the USB connection.  It may be set to "GoPro connect" which is the Webcam option.  Change it to MTP.

Now try the GoPro Mic Adapter again and see if that changed anything or if there is an option for the mic adapter in the input/output settings.

Just wondering if the newer firmware knocks out the adapter if set to GoPro connect.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Using what I got left with GoPro.  Unless they want to send me a FREE camera, gopro did themselves in wit what they released to the WOrld.

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Well that was the worlds worst response.  I mean seriously GoPro, you're just shooting yourself in the foot with that one.  A user clearly posts a screen shot showing the GoPro Mic adapter as being compatible with the GoPro Hero 9 and then the GoPro support says it's not?  WTH?

OK, so as far as I'm aware, with the initial GoPro Hero 9 Firmeware, the Mic Adapter worked.  With the updated Firmware, the Mic Adapter stopped working.

I'm wondering if the firmware was updated for Webcam use..... so... Could someone check the following?

Go into connections on your camera and check the USB connection.  It may be set to "GoPro connect" which is the Webcam option.  Change it to MTP.

Now try the GoPro Mic Adapter again and see if that changed anything or if there is an option for the mic adapter in the input/output settings.

Just wondering if the newer firmware knocks out the adapter if set to GoPro connect.

That does not work.

Hiker

[ New ]

If it doesn't do what you want and they will not respond, return it. That's what I have done with the last 10 GoPro cameras I have owned. They promise the moon and you get stinky cheese in a box. 

I get the camera, try to use an advertised feature, and either the camera feature is disabled by some other configuration option that was not mentioned in the marketing (hidden away in some hard to find place on their site) or the cameras just had horrible bugs or footage. 

GoPro markets to layman who can only afford cheap cameras, in general. You get what you pay for. Take it or leave it. This will never change. It's their business model. If you get lucky, it will meet your needs.

I only buy them for one purpose, which is stabilization. My pro cameras like the Sony's and Panasonic's that cost tens of thousands just aren't designed to stabilize like the action cams. That's why I am on this forum chatting about crappy cheap cameras. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Wow what a load of BS from the GoPro answer. How could it work with original firmware and then not work with the update and then they say it doesn’t have the ability to do it at all. That makes no sense. What it sounds like is they deliberately made it not work so they could sell more media mods.
Nomad

[ New ]

That is exactly what they have done. 

They also did the same thing with the Remote's. 

They have crippled compatibility via firmware updates. 

So as to sell the updated remotes/mic adapters when they are released..

A lot of unhappy customers in these forums and I'm sure tonnes of others who havent bothered to voice their concerns on this platform.

Hiker

[ New ]
If it is true, it is pathetic. I bought a bunch of batteries and the media mod and a dual battery charger. There’s no way I’ll get all of my money back for all of that stuff so I’m just gonna use the media mod accessory. Still though this is a huge slap in the face to gopro’s customers.
Hiker

[ New ]

"Note: We’ve had to temporarily disable external mic functionality on the HERO9 Black without the Media Mod to fix some bugs."
https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates