Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Gopro + You tube quality loss

Ok we've all had this. Ive watched a ton of you tube videos about it but havent nailed it yet.  You get this beautiful crisp video out of the camera and you fire it on over to you tube and BOOM.  Horrible ...pixelated ....massive loss of quality of this epic footage.  I use handbrake and FCPX.  Has anyone worked out how on earth to keep and maintain that quality on you tube (even for fast motion!) Clearly we know it's possible (because have you seen the promo vidoes!woop!)  ANY help would be appreciated! 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Gopro + You tube quality loss

Upload your video to YouTube in 2.7k or 4k resolution.  This will force YouTube to use a higher quality Codec which delivers far better results.  If your GoPro source video is 1080p, upsample the video in Handbrake to 4k, then upload.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

Upload your video to YouTube in 2.7k or 4k resolution.  This will force YouTube to use a higher quality Codec which delivers far better results.  If your GoPro source video is 1080p, upsample the video in Handbrake to 4k, then upload.  

Highlighted
Explorer

I use Premiere Pro and a 1080 sequence. I film in 2.7K or 4K. When I export a video for YouTube I choose YouTube 4K and click the maximum depth and render. YouTube allows for a max bit rate of 40 for 4K so it tends to look better (even though the GoPro records HEVC at 78, which is closer to 100+ bit rate in h.264). If you upload as 1080p, the max bit rate on YouTube is something like 8-10.

One other thing I have noticed though, don't render at a higher bit rate than the YouTube max as this forces YouTube to re-render the video to a lower bit rate. Sometimes it turns out ok, but sometimes it really messed up the video.

Lastly, remember to give it some time once uploaded. Initially it will only pay back at 360p. For some reason, even once it is allowing the full resolution, it still seems to take a day for it to play at the best quality (always be sure to select the highest quality playback that your internet will allow to playback smoothly).
Highlighted
Tourist

ok ill give that a try...i wish you tube would fix their issues...instead we have to trick it Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Tourist

thanks for this info ! appreciate you both taking the time to answer!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey again!!

Quick, so Ive started filming in 2k.  But my file size is obviously very large.  I tried to compress the file in Compressor and immediately lost detail.  Can anyone help with the settings for compressor to keep the quality for you tube?

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not really sure I understand why you are compressing your files. If it's for your personal storage, do it after you have uploaded to YouTube.

You can film in any resolution but when you export from your editor you want to use 4K/60fps. By doing this you can maximize the Bitrate used by Youtube for your video. You don't want to compress or reduce the quality of the video in any way prior to uploading, In fact, quite the opposite.

The only "downgrade" you want to do is when you export from your editor, choosing something like a bitrate of 65 seems to work well. For HDR video, YouTube actually allows a bitrate up to 85Mbps for 4K video with a frame rate of 48, 50, or 60fps. If you are using 24, 25, or 30fps, the limits is 45Mbps for 4K standard definition and 56 Mbps for HDR.

Here is a recent video I just did. I filmed in 4K/60fps but then used a 1080p/60fps sequence. I then exported from the editor in 4K/60fps with a bitrate of 65Mps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0LwAfny978

Pismo Beach California Contact Mindy Smith to rent your horseback ride on the beach. https://www.mindysmithrockies.com/ Or inquire about horse sales. 100% Sh...
Highlighted
Tourist

ok you have clearly mastered the quality in that video. It's crystal clear.  

Just to explain - I am compressing the finished edit.  The edit, when finished could be as big as 6GB.  That would take days to upload to YT.  So I am compressing just after the edit is finished from .mov file to mpeg.

Ill add a screen grab below here.  This morning I uploaded a 2k video- no compression to YT but the loss is still huge.  In the screen grab the image on the right is the original 2k crystal clear image and the one on the left what YT did to it. Smiley Mad

Screenshot 2018-11-22 at 12.18.54.png