Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Gopro Stolen, Found back by police, Bluetooth Connection

Hello,

My gopro was stolen and sold to a 2nd hand electronic store.

I found it and reported it to the police.

The police ask me to come on the police station today.

The gopro was on the table at police station, Via bluetooth I could start the gopro with my smartphone (Connected)

That i could start the gopro with my smartphone is that proof that it is 100% my gopro?

Or can anybody with gopro installed on smartphone, start any gopro?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Gopro Stolen, Found back by police, Bluetooth Connection

Hello @snowydawn5282

Sorry to hear about what happened to the camera. Good to know that you are able to trace your camera. The fact that you are (still) able to communicate with the camera is an indicator that you had the camera prior to the incident. However, connectivity with the app is not exclusive. Any other mobile device could also connect to the camera if the camera Wi-Fi information is known. The connection would even be simultaneous. The receipt that shows the serial number, or the original packaging indicating the serial number of the camera, would be more helpful. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for your reply Marius.

I dont have the package with serial number anymore.

I got the receipt, but their is no serial number on it too bad.

your quote: Any other mobile device could also connect to the camera if the camera Wi-Fi information is known.

Do you mean that they would have the know my wifi information? (The same wifi that was used when i did the gopro installation)

or How can someone know the wifi information of a particular gopro?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @snowydawn5282

Depending on the camera model that you have, the Wi-Fi information can be obtained directly from the camera (especially for HERO5 Session, HERO5 Black, and HERO6 Black units). For HERO3's, the Wi-Fi information would only be known to whoever set it up for the camera. It is the same for HERO4's except that a camera reset on Wi-Fi settings could be performed and a new name and password could be established. 

Hope this helps. 

Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

its a gopro Session 5

The only time i touched the gopro after it was stolen, was today at the police staion with a police officer by my side.

So the fact that could start the gopro with my smartphone (the officer witnessed this) proofs it was in my property before the thief stole it and sold it of.

Whats your opinion?

Thats its more than plausible that it is my gopro?

Or very likely?

How would you appoint the status/proof of this gopro case?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @snowydawn5282

Considering the circumstance, this "So the fact that could start the gopro with my smartphone (the officer witnessed this) proofs it was in my property before the thief stole it and sold it of."  tells that you own the camera. Better yet, since you are able to connect with the camera, you can check your media files and most probably there will be a picture of you or of where you have been with the camera. In the absence of the receipt or the packaging, you may even look for social media footprints (through your phone) that will connect you with your HERO5 Session camera. Just ideas. 

Thanks, 

Marius