Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Gopro Recognized as generic camera instead of gopro

I used to plug in my hero5 black before on 2 separate computers. Each computer had Quik on it, and the gopro would be recognized as a gopro in both windows explorer and quik. I recently tried to plug in my gopro and it is since only recognized generically as a camera. This is a problem because neither quik nor explorer recognizes any files on the camera, telling me only "no files to view/import" Being that this hashappened on 2 computers, one running windows 10 the other 8.1 I think I can rule out a windows software issue. Is this simply a faulty cable, or a glitch with the gopro camera programming that could be solved with an update? I see usb connected when the camera is hooked up, it charges, but isnt recognized as a gopro and I cant move/delete any files on the gopro currently any way other than manually deleting them on the gopro itself

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Gopro Recognized as generic camera instead of gopro

I solved the problem. I went into control panel/hardware and sound/devices and printers. right clicked the camera and selected troubleshoot

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jackc20148

Sorry for any troubles caused.

Please go over the steps listed here: Camera is Not Recognized on Quik for desktop - Windows

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

EJ

Highlighted
Tourist

Well it's labelled as gopro100 so that isn't it. For whatever reason gopro's site is giving me a 404 error whenever I manually download the update so I'm not sure if manually updated my camera will help at all. is it possible this is simply a bad cable? The cable I have used to work and is a gopro cable so it's the only thing I can think failed. I already tried searching for driver issue's on my computer's end to no avail

Highlighted
Tourist

camera is recognized now, still not showing files on the gopro either in quik or windows explorer

Highlighted
Tourist

i should also note, when the micro SD is plugged into an adapter directly into my computer the files are visible. plug the micro sd back in and try to view the files again and they vanish
Highlighted
Tourist

I solved the problem. I went into control panel/hardware and sound/devices and printers. right clicked the camera and selected troubleshoot