Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro Max Dive Housing

[ New ]

Will Gopro Max have Dive Housing in future ?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Gopro Max Dive Housing

[ New ]

There are currently specially made dive housing for 360 camera's available for a multitude of camera's.  They are specially made as most 360 camera's do not work underwater due to the way water defracts, causes light splitting and visual aberrations. As a result, 360 camera's are not usually used underwater without a special bubble shaped dive housing.

The reviews for the Hero 8 have just been released and people are still writing them.  If you wait another week or two, the reviews for the Hero Max will be released and then you'll know what comes in the box, what accessories are available and where the camera works best etc. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

There are currently specially made dive housing for 360 camera's available for a multitude of camera's.  They are specially made as most 360 camera's do not work underwater due to the way water defracts, causes light splitting and visual aberrations. As a result, 360 camera's are not usually used underwater without a special bubble shaped dive housing.

The reviews for the Hero 8 have just been released and people are still writing them.  If you wait another week or two, the reviews for the Hero Max will be released and then you'll know what comes in the box, what accessories are available and where the camera works best etc. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Actually i have seen people shooting with insta360 one x underwater, the result is quite good and acceptable. So i think Gopro Max might have better result if compare with insta 360 ? Cause Max is the latest 360 camera.

So far Gopro 8 new feature is quite attractive, and is the decent upgrade. But for Gopro 7 user it does't make much sense upgrade to Gopro 8, unless really want new features.

Anyway, Thanks for your reply.
Explorer

[ New ]
The Max is going to have special protective lens that go over the camera lens. They protrude pretty far out, so it's possible that they will improve underwater recording. As of right now though, it looks like we are going to have to just wait and see.
Tourist

[ New ]

it looks like the max comes with two lens caps that are large bubbles, instead of putting a buble around the whole camera you just put two small ones over the lens, allowing it to record underwater without a problem. thats my guess 

Hiker

[ New ]

Those Protective Lenses are not water safe.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/MAX-Lens-Protection-Options/ta-p/396302

We recommend using the protective lenses when using the MAX in an environment where the lenses could be damaged. 

Note: There may be a reduction in image quality, usually caused by dust on the protective lenses, light reflections, water spots, or other elements. Also, the protective lenses are not designed to be used underwater as the seals are not waterproof and water will likely enter under the protective lenses.

Explorer

[ New ]

@leconis 

What are you, some sort of spam bot?

Those protective lenses aren't safe.  Those????  What are you talking about?

And why would you write, "WE recommend"?  WE?  And just who are YOU?  You are not a GoPro employee, so why represent like you are one?

Hiker

[ New ]
@danielr15

I've never said I am a GoPro employee.
Just quoted the relevant part of the link that I attached that is from GoPro support page.

Whats your purpose in attacking me? We are all trying to help each other here.

Thanks