Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Gopro MAX to Goolge Street View.

[ New ]
So If I have understood right than exporting 360 image from GoPro will keep the GPS says intact, will give it a try and post the outcome, last time I tried it said that the file doesn't have GPS data
Nomad

[ New ]

No, the GPS data will be stripped when you export the photo.  You will have to go into Google street view, pick the location and then upload your 360 photo.

Tourist

[ New ]

In that sense, we won't be able to create virtual tours and offline uploads will not work. This seriously need to be addressed. When I bought this GoPro MAX one of my requirement was contribution to Google Stree View. It seems either I have to buy another 360 Camera or wait for GoPro Development team to upload a firmware for this :(

Nomad

[ New ]

In "that sense" it means you need to be patient and wait.  Guess what's on the ticket list from GoPro?  Extracting screen grabs and taking photo's and leaving the meta data intact.

Be aware, the GoPro Max was always toted as a 360 action camera and that's it.  There were never any claims that it would work with Google street view or be able to create virtual tours.  In face if you look at virtual tour software, you will easily find the price ranges from hundreds to thousands of dollars for a hardware and software setup.  

If contributing to Google Street View was a requirement, you should have done some research, Google in fact has a list of camera's that they recommend for creating 360 photo's and the GoPro Max is not listed there.

So yes, if you cannot wait for GoPro to add this feature to their software (and it's a software issue not a firmware issue), then you will have to buy another 360 camera.  I would suggest you wait though as the update is coming and it is on GoPro's ticket list.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I made an account here just to reply to this.

It's been six months since the MAX was released. I remember how GoPro dropped the ball during the launch by glossing over the fact that the Windows editor wasn't working and the only thing available was a very lightweight "exporter" that didn't even support GPU rendering (admittedly, that has since been fixed). After being very vocal about how appalling this joke of a product launch was, I heard back from Daryl (one of the software managers on the MAX team) and was working with him towards the end of last year on some of the bugs and technical difficulties both of us were experiencing, and he'd tell me about how this is being actively worked on and fed me stories of tacit executive incompetence outside of his control.

I stopped hearing from him around November and sent a few follow up emails. I wanted to quote the following from the last one I sent:

I'm feeling somewhat scammed as I can't do much with the GPMF data (which still isn't written to exported files using MAX Exporter) or access highlight tags, much less tell which videos have highlight tags. None of the Windows software issues were communicated to customers and we were left to figure them out ourselves. I opted to not return my camera and took a leap of faith based on comments from yourself and Abe. It's now past the return window and I'm essentially stuck with a $500 paperweight.I recognize the level of engineering that went into it and really want to make it work, but I'm likely going to end up selling it because I have no way of easily managing/editing the video I record with it. I know the decision to release it before the desktop software was complete wasn't yours, but I hope you can convey my disappointment and frustration with those who made that decision. My trust in GoPro has been damaged by this experience and I don't envision buying myself any GoPro products again in the future.

My long-winded point is that I've been hearing the "just wait" message since this $500 paperweight was released and GoPro still hasn't released an official Windows release of the GoPro Player yet. Could you please stop deepthroating GoPro's **bleep** and recognize that they've botched a product release with known software bugs at launch that were not communicated to customers in advance and keep making promises they can't seem to deliver on?

Tourist

[ New ]

HI guys, I read the post avidly regarding this upload, I guess the problem is with the gps if i am correct could you please let me know when ready? Facinating to hear trailblazwer being free for uploads on streetview are you sure? Gothru does it as well now for only for gopro fusion

Nomad

[ New ]

I use trailblazer for updating Google Street View Maps and it doesn't cost a penny.  This is for updating google street view images only though.  Creating a 3D virtual tour is the part that costs money (and that's a different software suite from the same company, not trailblazer).

Tourist

[ New ]
Here's my process that works for me on Android:
1) Shoot pictures with Max. I tend to keep the camera on between pictures since it takes a while to get GPS signal from powering on.
2) Use the GoPro app to download the pictures to the phone. The pictures should now appear in the media tab.
3) On the media tab, select the pictures you want to export. You can multiselect by holding down on a photo and dragging. Tap the export arrow button and select Save to Phone
4) In the StreetView app, tap the orange camera button and select Import 360 photos. You should be able to find your photos from there. They should be properly georeferenced.

It's important in step 3 not to tap into an individual photo and export from there: that only gives you a crop of the field of view, not the full 360.