Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 9 not working as webcam on iMac with high sierra

[ New ]

Hi all

Anyone found a solution to Gopro 9 not working as a webcam on an Imac with high sierra.  Its a 2011 mac so cannot update past this but my main day to day working computer so ideally want to use it for video calls.  Webcam app installed and showing in top bar but everything greyed out apart from preferences and quit (which dont do anything when clicked on).  Camera shows USB conected and Gopro Quik finds the camera for the computer is reconigising the Gopro so its an issue specific to Gopro Webcam it seems.  

Same GoPro and same cable plugged into my Macbook Pro running Catalina and works fine (just downloaded app and plugged and worked so same kit, same process so can only assume its the OS causing the issue).

Help this is very frustrating!

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 13.45.09.png

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 9 not working as webcam on iMac with high sierra

[ New ]

Hi @manubalsa

As previously shared, the latest version of the webcam utility (or one released after 9/16) works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. You would need to update to macOS Mojave.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

You said that GoPro QUIK finds the camera, but it's unusual that it should do this as your camera's USB connection would have to be manually switched to MTP (media transfer protocal).  To use the camera as a webcam, this USB Connection must be changed to GoPro Connect.

So it may be that the wrong USB connection is selected in the camera menu.

Tourist

[ New ]

Good point and should probably say the camera was set to GoPro Connect when trying to connect to the webcam.  So sadly this still doesnt solve the issue

Tourist

[ New ]

Yo acabo tengo el mismo problema. Acabo de comprarme una GoPro Hero 9 y tengo un Macbook Pro con High Sierra y me pasa exactamente lo mismo que tú, no consigo concectarla en modo Webcam.

Al final lo has solucionado?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @manubalsa. By saying not able to connect, do you mean that the camera is not detected by the utility or your computer? Which version of the webcam utility/app are you using? Have you set the camera to GoPro Connect under USB Connection? See if using a different cable will make a difference. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hola, el Macbook Pro no me detecta la cámara en su APP, no me aparece el punto que significa que está conectada la cámara GoPro Hero 9.

Tengo la cámara GoPro Hero 9 actualizada y la APP Webcam de GoPro también en la última versión.

GoPro no me ha contestado y no encuentro una solución, es decepcionante.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @manubalsa

Were you able to select GoPro Connect on the camera?

Also, the latest version of the webcam utility (or one released after 9/16) works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. Be sure to update to this OS version in order to use the webcam utility. 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hola!

La versión de mi Macbook Pro es High Sierra 10.13.6. La tengo actualizada a la última versión de High Sierra.

La versión de Webcam GoPro es 1.0.224. Instalé el software pero me aparece todo atenuado en color gris menos preferencias y salir! Si hago click sobre preferencias o salir no hace nada el software.

En la cámara GoPro Hero 9 si escojo la opción para webcam!

Alguna solución?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @manubalsa

As previously shared, the latest version of the webcam utility (or one released after 9/16) works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. You would need to update to macOS Mojave.

Thanks!

Ej