Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]
Pour assurer une bonne lecture GPS, vous devez effectuer ces étapes: 1) Téléchargez UAV Forecast sur votre mobile 2) Avec UAV Forecast, vérifiez que vous disposez d'un minimum de 9 verrous satellite ou plus. Assurez-vous également que le kp est inférieur à 4 3) Assurez-vous que la caméra a une vue dégagée sur un ciel dégagé. Le récepteur GPS est sur le dessus de la caméra, alors gardez la caméra à l'endroit pour de meilleurs résultats. 4) Allumez l'appareil photo à l'aide du bouton latéral MODE et laissez-le allumé pendant au moins 5 minutes AVANT d'appuyer sur enregistrement. Après la mise à jour, la collecte de données GPS s'améliorera, mais vous voudrez toujours suivre ces étapes.

To ensure a strong GPS reading you should perform these steps:

1) Download UAV Forecast to your mobile

2) With UAV Forecast, check that you will have a minimum of 9 or more satellite lock. Also ensure the kp is less than 4

3) Be sure the camera has an unobstructed view of a clear sky. The GPS receiver is on the top of the camera, so keep the camera right side up for best results.

4) Turn the camera on using the side MODE button and leave on for at least 5 minutes BEFORE pressing record.

After the update the GPS data collection will improve, but you will still want to follow these steps.
Hiker

[ New ]

Merci danielr15, mais je compte pas me galerer autant juste pour avoir les données GPS

M GoPro Hero 5 fait cela tres bien sans tout ce mic mac

J'ai payer la Hero 9 une fortune et j'espere bien avoir toute les fonctions sans avoir a fiare des manip en plus.

J'ai meme acheter un soft d'extractio nde données GPS quic Fix 49 dollars pour au final ne rien avoir de correct, j'attends de ma GoPro payer une fortune un rendement parfait, sinon pourquoi choisir GoPro

Des tas d'autres camera font aussi bien le job et parfois pour beaucoup moins cher

Merci

Explorer

[ New ]
les étapes que je décris s'appliquent à tout appareil GPS. vous devez avoir 9+ verrouillage satellite pour plus de précision. Techniquement, un minimum de 3, mais les résultats ne seront pas toujours précis. c'est ainsi que fonctionne le GPS. vous devez allumer la caméra et lui donner le temps de se verrouiller sur les satellites. encore une fois, c'est ainsi que fonctionne le GPS. la caméra doit avoir une vue dégagée du ciel. Sinon, vous obtiendrez des flux de données bloqués et une propagation par trajets multiples, encore une fois, c'est exactement comment fonctionne le GPS et sa limitation. Je ne vois pas comment, ni pourquoi, vous pensez que vous pouvez ou devriez pouvoir contourner cela. vous ne voulez pas télécharger et utiliser UAV Forecast, très bien. Mais expliquez-moi quelque chose. quel est le but de l'application? Pourquoi tant de flyers de drones l'utilisent-ils?
Hiker

[ New ]

Non je suis d'accord pour telecharger et essayer UAV Forecast, d'ailleurs j'ai bien dis merci ;)

Mais je pense que GoPro est en dessous de tout sur ce coup avec la Hero 9 non aboutie et deja en vente.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx 

"2:  You can demand a refund if you're really that unhappy and take your business to a competitor."

I did, but was rejected because they replaced my camera and now according to support it's not brand new anymore. So I conclude a replacement camera is a refurbished, something that was always denied by support. So if it's not brand new, not refurbished, waht did I get? BTW, the replacement cam is newer, later serial...

Here is a copy of the support chat:

Me (11/25/2020, 4:53:57 PM): I just want a refund.
N*** (11/25/2020, 4:57:25 PM): I understand that you wanted a refund however we have already processed a replacement for it. Refund is only applicable to brand new camera.
N*** (11/25/2020, 4:57:39 PM): But no worries as we are more than willing to help you further with this.
Me (11/25/2020, 4:58:19 PM): It was a brand new camera, it's not my fault you need to replace it because there is a hardware fault!!!
Me (11/25/2020, 4:59:04 PM): So you're telling me you replaced my camera by a refurbished one?
N*** (11/25/2020, 5:01:43 PM): We did not replace it with refurbished camera. All of our products undergone a lot of control tests before we ship it.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@danielr15  I have to respectfully disagree.  Extensive testing has been done on the GoPro Hero 9 GPS, much of this by the creator of the GPS tools people are now having to use to extract reasonable data.  It's been confirmed there is a GPS issue with the GoPro Hero 9.  GoPro themselves have also confirmed there is an issue with the GoPro Hero 9 GPS.  So it's no use telling the user they don't know how to use GPS or they are not performing all the needed steps when it's been confirmed there is a GPS issue with the GoPro Hero 9.

I have done side by side testing with the GoPro Hero 6, 8, 9 and Fusion myself and can confirm there is a GPS issue with the GoPro Hero 9.  

Although there is a proper start up proceedure recommended (not using quick capture, acquiring a lock before recording) the notion that people need to wait 5 minutes and check for 9 sat locks using an external application is unacceptable when earlier model GoPro's (using the same GPS chip according to tear down reports) tested side by side, do not have to do this.  

The fact is, there are many issues with the GP9 and there's likely many different reasons for this which can be debated later.  I myself am an avid drone users and have invested far more money than I should have in my own collection.  I have used UAV Forecast but a forecast doesn't make up for the proper upgrading and implimentation of better hardware to compensate for poor signal acquisition.  I actually own several drones that had a direct relation to GoPro and the very first models had horrible GPS Acquisition.  This itself was a GPS hardware issue as the company not only mounted the GPS chip in a very poor place, they used poor quality copper shielding and then insisted that the GPS should only use American sats.  5 minutes to get a lock, No lock on overcast days or in area's suffering from GPS shadowing thus no GPS assited flying......

Upgrading to a more expensive GPS chip and having it mast mounted away from the drone resulted in 30 second GPS lock, no weather issues (regardless of UAV Forecasts) and no more GPS shadowing issues.  

Do I expect the GoPro GPS to perform to the standards of a properly upgraded drone?  No, not at all. (a mast would look terrible on a helmet mounted camera anyway....unless it was a Max which needs to be mounted away from the base and an antenna was inside the mounting arm..........   let me go and patent that idea and I'll be right back...)

Do I expect that a GoPro user should have to wait 5 whole minutes for a GPS lock, download UAV Forecast to let them know if they can use their GPS and acquire 9 sats for any sort of GPS accuracy?  No, not at all.  With the tasks the camera is performing, insisting on a 9 sat lock is just not nessacary.  It's not even nessacary for a drone to acquire 9 sats (nice to have, but not even the min requirement, the importance of quality of signal data received far exceeds the requirement for number of sats acquired).  In short, it's no use having 24+ sats acquired if the GPS data quality is too low to be used accurately.  

BTW did you know that drones and camera's have a lot in common?

1:  Neither of them like being crashed into solid objects (they are not friends with tree's).

2:  Both are fairly expensive.

3:  Both bring out an instinctual need to hide such purchases from your partner until they stumble across "yet another purchase" at which point you can assure them truthfully "Oh, I got that ages ago....... didn't you notice?"

4:  You feel the need to purchase clothing with the companies logo on it 

5:  For some reason you become a all knowning Shaolin monk level expert at using the product and now find yourself surrounded by Grass Hoppers who need help.....

6:  You haven't even opened the box of the latest model and you already want to see what next years model is going to be like....

You can debate the GPS issue all you want, but the stated facts are that there is a GPS issue with the GoPro Hero 9.  The good news however is that this is being addressed with the December firmware update which will hopefully arrive before Christmas as nothing is more important than filming little johnny opening his presents at 0MPH situated in the living room (with exact GPS co-ordinates overlayed as he pulls 0 G's..).

What you cannot debate though is the other above 6 points.  

Backpacker

[ New ]

Since I don't know where you live (thankfully, because let's face it, if i did, that would be just creepy) I'm not sure of your exact consumer rights (and please note, that what is considered "fair and right" is completely different from "what is the law").  However you may want to contact the Better Business Bureu, DAS Law UK etc. to find out what your exact rights are regarding refunds.  Many companies can offer you a replacement as part of their warrany policy, but if the product itself is a lemon, you could still be entitled to have your money refunded.  As a consumer you have rights and you need to follow up on those rights (and companies are under no obligation to help you out on your quest).

However laws change from state to state, region to region or by country.  So you will need to do an internet search related to your country/state to find out what your exact rights are.  

As I said, if you are really that unhappy, feel free to take your business elsewhere.  I don't say that out of indifference to you or malice towards GoPro, but the fact is simple.  If a company is not making what you feel to be a quality product, then you should demand your money back and stop purchasing those products until the company improves.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx 

I live in Belgium. So far I found that the manufacturer needs to repair or replace the faulty product by the same model or better, it is however still unclear what my rights are if the manufacturer fails to do so within reasonable time.

You are so right about the GPS. I have made my own drones for over 12 years now, my very first even had a mechanical gyro spinning around! Only the first time and/or in a new aera it could take some more time to get a solid fix as the GPS needs to update the list of possible sats and their positions around the globe. But after that the data should be held in memory and only be updated from time to time. And of course solar burst can affect the quality of the signal, but for a GoPro this is not very important. If my iPhone can update the GPS position in the EFIX data of a photo taken right after taking the phone out of your pocket, GoPro must be able to achieve the same result. And yes, the iPhone has the advantage to have acces to the internet and do some rudimental positioning based on WiFi and GSM masts, but most of my drones don't have those tricks in their sleeves and still get a decent fix in less than 30s.

If the shielding a the physical plament of the GPS antenna is ok I believe a firmware update can fix the GPS issue, but I'm still not convinced that the sound issue can be solved with FW alone unless they do so heavy filtering and decrease the audio quality.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@myriamb3268 Well lets realize that the GoPro GPS is a lot different from a drone or phone GPS.

Phone

1:  Your phone has the added advantage of usually being in an "always on" state.  This means it's already aquired a GPS signal. 

2:  Like you rightfully pointed out, the phone has the advantage of being able to use GSM masts and even WiFi information from hotspots that contains GPS info.

3:  The GPS chip and the GPS antenna in the phone is far larger than that of the GoPro (and it's more spread out)

Drone

1:  The Drone GPS chips are usually quite large, about the size of a thumbnail whereas the GPS chip on the GoPro is about the size of a grain of rice (uncooked of course!)

2:   The drone usually has much larger GPS antenna and these are also mounted far away from any sources of GPS interference (whereas the GoPro has a limited area for GPS chip mounting and GPS antenna)

3:  Drones usually have the latest GPS chip on the market and this is reflected in the pricepoint, whereas GoPro seem to be re-using an older GPS chip model to try and compete with lower pricepoints on the competition.

So honestly, I wouldn't expect the GoPro GPS to have the accuracy or even the location aquisition (in terms of speed) as a Drone or an iPhone.  However as previously stated, the GoPro doesn't need the same level of performance.  

Firmware wise, it's possible that the tolerances were simply set too high for the GPS (in order to get better accuracy) and this is resulting in the current issues.  This could even be on the actual GPS chip itself which may explain why some units are fine while others have the issue (the later produced units could have had an update done at the factory level for the GPS only whereas the units at fault are awaiting an overall firmware fix).  Either way, we won't know any extra details until the December firmware update.  In the meantime, for GPS information and stickers, I'm tending to stick with my GP8 as I find it to be very reliable and once it gets a signal, it keeps that signal.  The GP9, I'm using that for my image and video based projects, as many issues as it has, I find the image quality to be amazing.

As for the audio issue...........  a number of people have reported that and yes, it's possible it could be fixed with a firmware fix.  It may simply be the fact that there is a firmware issue that's causing the camera to run more slowly than it should and write information incorrectly in certain circumstances.  Cleaning up code to prevent processer bogging would indeed fix these issues, however pinpointing the exact cause would take time.  That's assuming it's a firmware issue.  Could be a battery issue, again, power issues would cause such audio glitches too.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi there,

Breath in, breath out...
It will all work out...

Here's the information you are waiting for - which I can now share since it's in this online article:

https://www.redsharknews.com/more-gopro-updates-are-on-the-way

"From December 17th the company will be releasing another round of firmware updates for the HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, and the MAX. These updates will add compatibility for the cameras with the new remote, as well as boosting offload speeds to the GoPro app by up to 30%.

The HERO9 Black will gain:
- Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
- Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
- A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
- Improved GPS lock accuracy.
- Support for Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilisation, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
- Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.
- Compatibility support for The Remote

The HERO8 update will include up to 15% faster wireless offload speeds and compatibility with The Remote.
The MAX will gain 20% increased wireless transfer speeds, The Remote compatibility, and a couple of user interface enhancements."

So 6 more days to wait
And I hope it'll be great
Then maybe away goes
This long thread that I'll close
Moving on to more bugs
I'll be there to give hugs

Cheers! :)

@irishmanpdx
Hiker

[ New ]

ALLELUIA Smiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley Wink

Sightseer

[ New ]

GPS is absolutely useless

Here is short footage from my Hero9. As you could see, I was at an open place, where I would expect excellent GPS reception. Before taking footage I waited mostly 15 minutes for a GPS fix. Whole footage I walked. (video have boosted speed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ywOgM66GQ

GPS Fail on Gopro HERO 9 Black. Latest firmware 01.22
Tourist

[ New ]

What happens if you don't boost the speed, looks like your GPS data isn't in sync with the image?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Speed was boosted after exporting from the Gopro iOS app. So this doesn't have any affect to GPS

Nomad

[ New ]

The firmware release (at last) seems to have done the trick.

Just taken a short walk with the chest harness and the track generated follows the road.

Hero 9 Black

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yup, took Ver 1.22 on a drive this morning after establishing GPS lock.  Nothing recorded at all.

Just upgraded to ver 1.5, did a quick test with the camera in my office, nowhere near a window, beside a wireless charger and right next to two of my monitors.... GPS recorded.

Will do a much longer test later but it looks like GoPro solved the issue for me!  Thank you GoPro!

Nomad

[ New ]

That's great news! 2/2 good reports so far.

I will test mine now, but it was already good before, so just checking that nothing broke with the update

GoPro

[ New ]

@im35461, @irishmanpdx, that's good to hear. Thanks for posting back with the results. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Hiker

[ New ]

Can someone tell me how to see on the screen if you have a gps lock, I cant seem to find an icon for that anywhere? I know how to switch gps on but how can I tell if its locked on?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Turn on your camera, swipe down on the rear screen.  You will see in the upper left hand corner "GPS" and "App".  GPS will turn white once there is a GPS lock.

Hiker

[ New ]

Nice one, easy when you know how 👍 thanks

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Turn on your camera, swipe down on the rear screen.  You will see in the upper left hand corner "GPS" and "App".  GPS will turn white once there is a GPS lock.

Backpacker

[ New ]

GPS looks better on a short walk around the block...

in previous release I got no valid measurements in the same place.

Still a lot of measurements 2D rated....Could be because I'm to close to buildings. 

Tomorrow ill made a full drive test.

Keep you posted.

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

I upgraded my camera to 1.5 Firmware.
Sounds good to me.

https://youtu.be/zAHwQxGWKMU

I'll do some tests in the light tomorrow.

Gopro Hero 9 1.5 Firmawre GPS accuracy test
Hiker

[ New ]
GPS ist nach v1.5 immer noch unbrauchbar in Verbindung mit dem Media Mod. GPS Signal war weiß, aber keine Daten im Video vorhanden.
Nomad

[ New ]

@jenssooonnn Where are you checking if the video has data?

Hiker

[ New ]
Wenn ich den GPS-Sticker nicht benutzen kann sind keine nutzbaren GPS Daten in der GoPro App vorhanden. Geschwindigkeit-Sticker, Höhen-Sticker,...
Backpacker

[ New ]

@robert1326 wrote:

GPS looks better on a short walk around the block...

in previous release I got no valid measurements in the same place.

Still a lot of measurements 2D rated....Could be because I'm to close to buildings. 

Tomorrow ill made a full drive test.

Keep you posted.

robert

hi,

in my car, mounted on the windshield, upsidedown.

8min51sec footage (531sec)

GPS measurements reported  each 1.04sec = 511 mesurements

all 511 are 3D !!!!!!!! - good

have a nice day!

robert

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i rotation GX010504_all.txt

Auto Rotation                   : Down

Rotation                        : 180

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % 

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "track dur" GX010504_all.txt | tail -1

Track Duration                  : 0:08:51

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep -i "sample dur"  GX010504_all.txt | head -2

Sample Duration                 : 1.04 s

Sample Duration                 : 1.04 s

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep "GPS Measure Mode" GX010504_all.txt | tail 

GPS Measure Mode                : 3-Dimensional Measurement

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep "GPS Measure Mode" GX010504_all.txt | wc -l

robertkirr@Roberts-MacBook-Air gopro % grep "3-Dim" GX010504_all.txt | wc -l   

Hiker

[ New ]

I made another test video.
Trail, speed, altitude okay.

https://youtu.be/9AVe3TFin78

Backpacker

[ New ]

GPTempDownload.jpeg

looks god to me too....

Hiker

[ New ]

hi robert, what software are you using to do the GPS overlay?

many thanks

Backpacker

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 wrote:

hi robert, what software are you using to do the GPS overlay?

many thanks

hi,

is the GoPro mobile app.

phone is iPhoneX IOS 14.3.

GoPro app ver. 7.3

hope this helps,

robert

GoPro

[ New ]

HERO9 Firmware update 1.5 has fixed the GPS issues - many users have reported things are now back to being ok :)

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

This includes:

• Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
  • Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
  • A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
  • Improved GPS lock accuracy.
  • Support for live streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilization, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
  • Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.

Firmware updates are also available for HERO8 Black and GoPro MAX today that increase wireless transfer speeds by up to 15% and 20%, respectively. And these firmware updates for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black and MAX most notably enable compatibility with the latest GoPro accessory, The Remote.

For other issues - please start a new post, this one is quite full now and we may get lost in it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Una domanda, forse potete aiutarmi..: quando avevate problemi, cosa succedeva esattamente? io ho problemi di entità abbastanza grave con il gps della mia gopro 9:
-velocità fino a 440km\h anche se son fermo
-gps completamente fuori rotta e in linea retta
-altitudini sballate anche di 1000 metri
aggiornato alla 1.5 ma non è cambiato niente..
grazie per l'aiuto

Tourist

[ New ]
Buongiorno/Buonasera

Avevo lo stesso problemi un po di mesi fa. Anche se aspetto un'attimino prima fare il record, ho deciso di chiamarli e ho chiesto una sostituzione. Perché sembra la hardware il problema.. il nuovo gopro che mia restituito subito funziona
Backpacker

[ New ]

What you experienced with your GoPro is not unheard of.  People found the following problems with the GPS before the 1.5 firmware update.

1:  No data recorded whatsoever.

2:  Only 1 point of data recorded at the point of power on, not the point of recording.

3:  Huge amounts of gps ghosting (so location incorrect, speed incorrect, altitude incorrect etc).

Since the 1.5 firmware update last week, I've not experienced any of the above.  My GPS is now working 100% accurately and I'm loving it!   I can't wait to go flying and test it out in an airplane.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@haindash .... 

For other issues - please start a new post, this one is quite full now and we may get lost in it.

yes, should have been worked fine from the beginning, but was not an easy one....so ...thank you.

...so let's not close this before I say a big thank you to ther entire GoPro team!

...we just hope we gave valuable infos to the development team.

we enjoyed all the responses, mostly the Lyrics @haindash and @irishmanpdx 

Smiley Happy

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay, the response from Haindash below is not accurate. The problem with the GPS is much more likely to be how you are trying to view the GPS data. If GPS is turned on then you are most likely getting the data saved, but the only way to view the data is through the phone app (seriously - GoPro have so much confidence in modern phones that they are expecting you to do all your video editing on the GoPro App !! - it's either complete incompetetance or idiocy on their part, and will be their downfall, the 9 black is my first and will be my last GoPro).

The Quik desktop app is (years) out of date and will not show the GPS data, and this seems unlikely to change in the near future. 

I spent some time on the phone to the GoPro helpdesk and they weren't able to help, they suggested I turn off GPS, go outside and turn it back on again - it was only after this i discovered the fault doesn't lie with the GPS, just the PC/Mac software. To view the GPS data on your recording you have to first download it from the cloud to your phone's actual memory, then when replayed on the phone you have the option to click the editing pencil, then scroll to the far right to see the GPS stickers. You can then prepare this file for upload, but be warned a 20 minute 2.7k video took approximately 4 hours to prepare on an 128Gb iphone 11. You can then send this to almost any cloud (I sent to Google Drive), I say almost any because the GoPro cloud is the one that is not available !

I've spent (wasted) many hours, possibly running into days now, trying to get around the issue, and so far failed in any useful way, so if you have the answer please tell us.

Backpacker

[ New ]

I think you mean "above" or "forementioned".

The fact is very simple and it's something that's been discussed many times in this very article yet some people fail to comprehend this and continue to throw about inaccurate facts and statements instead of reading through the entire thread.

GOPRO QUIK has not been updated in over 2 years, it is not supported software and it will not work with anything later than a GoPro Hero 7.  Both the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 9 are much later camera's and they store their GPS information in a completely different manner.  No on should be using GoPro Quik, not now, not ever.

The issue was that with the GoPro Hero 9 upon release. GPS was not working due to a firmware error.  This was tested by many people using actual GPS tools (not a smart phone app) to read the information from the stored meta data itself.  It was found that in some cases, GPS was not being recorded, in others, only a single point of GPS data was being created or the GPS data was wildly inaccurate.  This was not due to some program incompatability, this was due to a failure on the device itself.  

Firmware 1.5 fixed a lot of these issues for a lot of people.  However those dumb enough to keep trying to use QUIK will still run into issues due to the fact (as forementioned) the GPS data is stored in a completely different format and is not compatible with QUIK.

So for those of you who want to edit your video on your computer and have GPS data displayed try using Telemetry Overlay, it's one of the best tools on the market and gives you much more advanced GPS information than your smart phone app.

The response and continued support from Haindash is completely accurate.  The firmware update 1.5 fixed the GPS issues on the camera itself and continued testing has proven this fix works.  

Tourist

[ New ]
So if I had bought a GoPro 7 for less than half the price of a GoPro 9 and the GPS would have worked with an albeit out of support but still readily available software. Buy the new 9 and you then have to spend another £75 for the ability to edit the videos with the GPS function. That is clearly a step back and should be clearly advertised on the box. GoPro have a massive following because they have a strong history in producing quality cameras but if they don’t get their act together then the message of their failings will be realised. People will not continue to pay a premium price for device with second rate software.
Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

What you experienced with your GoPro is not unheard of.  People found the following problems with the GPS before the 1.5 firmware update.

1:  No data recorded whatsoever.

2:  Only 1 point of data recorded at the point of power on, not the point of recording.

3:  Huge amounts of gps ghosting (so location incorrect, speed incorrect, altitude incorrect etc).

Since the 1.5 firmware update last week, I've not experienced any of the above.  My GPS is now working 100% accurately and I'm loving it!   I can't wait to go flying and test it out in an airplane.

have you done a factory settings reset?

Hiker

[ New ]

@toastednuts1969 wrote:
So if I had bought a GoPro 7 for less than half the price of a GoPro 9 and the GPS would have worked with an albeit out of support but still readily available software. Buy the new 9 and you then have to spend another £75 for the ability to edit the videos with the GPS function. That is clearly a step back and should be clearly advertised on the box. GoPro have a massive following because they have a strong history in producing quality cameras but if they don’t get their act together then the message of their failings will be realised. People will not continue to pay a premium price for device with second rate software.

bloody oath.. I have driected all poeple who me about GoPro to check Insta 360.. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello tous et Bonne année a vous Happy New Year to you

J’ai moi-même acheté un soft 40€ « GPS QUICK FIX for GoPro » qui est sensé extraire les données GPS de mes vidéos.

Quand on aime on ne compte pas et après avoir dépensé plus de 600€ en camera abonnement et accessoires, je n’étais pas a 40€ près

MAIS comme je l’écrit plus haut la version a 40€ n’est pas bonne elle n’extrait qu’une partie des données et pas comme je l’aurais espéré  

Pour le moment GoPro ma changé ma camera en raison de l’objectif Max qui ne s’emboitait pas correctement, là-dessus rien a dire sauf peut-être le temps de réaction de GoPro qui m’a rappeler 4 jours après ma demande a un moment ou j’étais disponible heureusement.

Ce n’est pas toujours le cas.

J’ai reçu ma camera et un nouvel objectif Max 1 semaine après avoir renvoyer la mienne, je n’ai toujours pas ouvert le colis

Comme le dit toastednuts1969, payer ce prix pour un appareil non abouti c’est un peu le jeu de Microsoft de nous vendre un produit non fini plein pot et le met a jour selon nos retours, mais lui le fait bien.

J’ai 5 cameras GoPro depuis la 2, ma 3 black est en panne et GoPro me dit de la mettre a la poubelle trop vieille plus de SAV même payant dessus, évidement il faudrait aussi jeter tout les accessoires qui ne s’adapte pas au autres cameras

J’ai donc racheté une GP black Edition d’occasion.

Honnêtement cette affaire de la Hero 9 sera la dernière avec GoPro, je suis a la recherche d’une autre marque plus sérieuse.

Nomad

[ New ]

@abdelb72 Remember that GPS Quick Fix comes with email support. Feel free to get in touch to see what is happening exaclty with your files. Usually if only a portion of the data is shown, it means the camera lost the GPS signal, but it could be something else. For example, it's important that you use a recommended version of GoPro Quik, as the latest one will have problems syncing the data with the video, so it will look like the GPS data is ending before the video does. See "Gauges are out of sync" here for the recommended GoPro Quik versions: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-hero-8-no-gps-data

Nomad

[ New ]

@kajuna FYI Quik doesn't support the 9 for most of its recording formats being H265. - also limited with the 8 and 7

Gopro need to bring out a camera suite and QUIK! pardon the pun to suit; as EVERY other manufacturer offers that as an inclusion

Gopro the one trick pony has nothing to pair up with their buggy brick except some crazy mobile app implementation which double handles everything; chews up data and needs a grunty phone with space to spare - great idea (NOT). 

Hiker

[ New ]

J'ai acheté GPS Quick Fix for GoPro sur les conseil de GoPro qui m'a fourni le lien
Cela ne fonctionne pas correctement, c'est 40€ mis a la poubelle.

Et puis comment gopro pourrait il nous conseiller l'achat d'un element supplementaire poru faire fonctionner une camera payer a ce prix, on marche sur la tete
Nomad

[ New ]
@abdelb72 I'm the author of GPS Quick Fix. I insist that I can help you solve the problem by email (reply to the confirmation email)

@eski79 Quick cannot work with 5k video, but 4k h265 is generally fine, although some users have problems with that too. It's usually about Quick not realising your hardware can decode h265 video natively. I had the problem myself and it was fixed after some reinstalls.
Hiker

[ New ]

@ kajuna

Merci de te preocuper du probleme j'avoue avoir ete bien recu/traiter sur la vente de Quick fix, malgré l'erreur de l'envoi a quelqu'un

d'autre de la licence ;)

La version a 242€ Telemetry Extractor Premium for GoPro est peu etre plus approprié mais 242€ c'est beaucopup trop cher

La version a 40€ GPS Quick Fix for GoPro semble faire la meme chose en moins cher et moins compliqué

Mais je n''obtiens pas ce que j'attends de ce soft

En plus le principal probleme c'est la barriere de la langue, l'anglais n'etant pas ma tasse de thé.

Comment depanner quelqu'un qui ne parle pas la meme langue que toi

Cela dit tu n'est pas le responsable, mon niveau d'anglais suffit pour l'utilisation d'un logiciel mais pas pour un echange technique

Tourist

[ New ]

Have a new GoPro Hero 9 Black. GPS is not working well at all in a car or out on a trail with a 4 wheeler. I did pay the 40 Euros like $50.16 for the GoPro GPS quick fix software to see if there was anything at all. There is some data but the quality is very poor. I think I need to open a case with GoPro. The main reason for getting this was the GPS speed and telemetry data.

Backpacker

[ New ]
Have you updated your camera to the latest firmware (1.5), did you wait for gps lock before recording and do you have your camera mounted in a media mod, under a roll bar etc. Certain mounting locations will block gps reception.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have updated the firmware to 1.5 but when I go to add gauges is says "no GPS Data" I was outside taking this video I used quick take to start the recording. I wonder if that is the issue.

Has anyone had good results with the GPS?