Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]

The nine! seems better 

5f9cdcfd85942a066dc3ca93.gpx-683.png
Hiker

[ New ]

another one 8

5f9ce24cddc5b70583464a75.gpx-130.png
Hiker

[ New ]

the nine now seems worst..

@kajuna wrote:
You can go here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

Load your video file and go to GPS -> View Map
There you can enable the DARK map background so your path stands out, and take a screenshot or use the photo download button.

Would be interesting to see your results.

5f9ceca685942a066dc3ca98.gpx-97.png
Tourist

[ New ]

I also sent mine back for a full refund. If people are getting replacement units that are then working with the same firmware then it is a hardware problem that at best GoPro are hoping to kludge fix with a firmware update. Have to say I find the whole release without proper testing, not communicating properly with users who have faulty products that don't do what is advertised, and filtering the reviews they post to their website product page advertising the camera to only the good ones that have 4/5 stars particularly shadey and it misleads consumers as to the product.

Nomad

[ New ]

here is my GPS extraction - was only a 120km trip but according to the camera 350+ km with speeds in excess of 50,000km/p/h and teleportation to sea 3 times. clear skys all day and suction cup mounted to the inside of the windscreen using a timewarp - so no reason GPS should malfunction

i do find it quite entertaining that once in the gopro extractor when the map opened up its DJI telemetry overlay...... kept the address in the snipping tool save file. - "if you can't beat them join them.....?"

Gopro is coming across as a VERY deceitful company in my eyes, so many false claims and hidden traps that one won't find out till after purchase.... maybe thats why they don't have a phone number or direct email as it would be swamped.....

h9 gps capture.JPG
Nomad

[ New ]
Was the camera upside down? That's what I find convenient when using the suction mount inside the car, but of course it's not great for the GPS signal.

I created both the Telemetry Extractor and the DJI SRT Viewer, so that's why some of their features are shared
Hiker

[ New ]

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi Kajuna yes it was mounted upside down in the top corner, the windscreen as a decent angle so mounting it any other way just wouldn't work without the mount being in the way or a long extension arm introducing wobble.

Also need to get it out of my line of sight so upside down is the only choice. SURELY this would have been taken into consideration for vehicle mounting in development... its got the self righting regardless of orientation and i've been mounting them this way for years

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi Kajuna, great job on the extractor BTW!

dug up an earlier shorter run and looks much better, not sure if the 1.22 update affected it? ---- done manually, factory reset and formatted  using the card they sent me in case the gopro support tune in:P

5f9d53f185942a066dc3cab0.gpx-2815.png
Nomad

[ New ]
Sometimes you are just luckier than others with the signal.

The GPS antenna is next to the record button, so ideally you want that to point to the sky, to maximize your chances of a good signal. Of course that's not always possible
Nomad

[ New ]
Thanks for that. Just wonder why that sort of information isn't in the manual or mentioned elsewhere. It could be the issue others are experiencing...
Nomad

[ New ]

I see the v1.5 update for November now includes GPS fixes.

Nov. – v1.5 Firmware Release

• Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
  • HyperSmooth 3.0  we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures. 
  • External Mic –  connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
  • GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
  • Wireless Offload – Faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
  • Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.

Fingers crossed.

Tourist

[ New ]

after a day of testing,i noticed that the gopro quick in my mobile app registers a gps signal everytime i try to download the clips and put some speedo on it, but once i upload it on the computer it doesnt detect any Smiley LOL .. and i also noticed that even though im like 15kph on my bike, it still showing me like 45kph lol hows that possible? too many issue to look at.. dang any firmware coming?

Backpacker

[ New ]

"but once i upload it on the computer it doesnt detect any "

Well PC's don't natively pop up and say "Hey, GPS detected".  You need to have a program on your PC that can read the GPS information from the camera.  GoPro themselves don't offer any such software, their last software package was Quik (which is over 2 years old) and Quik is neither compatible with the GP8 or GP9.

Tourist

[ New ]

@im35461 wrote:

I see the v1.5 update for November now includes GPS fixes.

• Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
  • HyperSmooth 3.0  we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures. 
  • External Mic –  connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
  • GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
  • Wireless Offload – Faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
  • Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.

Fingers crossed.

Is the new firmeware availabile already? 

Tourist

[ New ]

out of topic guys...

i wanted to purchased another hero 9 to complete my setup, do i really need another subscription to get the unit? 

Backpacker

[ New ]

If you already have a subscription, you will not get another subscription.  Instead you will be charged the exact same price as the current deal.  This means if the deal currently is $349.98 with a one year GoPro Subscription, since you already have a GoPro Subscription, you will still be charged $349.98.  You will not get an additional Subscription.  

Hiker

[ New ]

And just to be extra clear, your current subscription will NOT be extended one more year, which makes no sense to me but it is what it is...  If you want a new one year subscription for free, you have to create another account using another email.  I know that's what I'm gonna do if I need to buy another GoPro camera.  (Already paid the price for Hero9 AND subscription, but not getting the subscription since I was already a member and my subscription ends in 3 weeks.)

Tourist

[ New ]

that was quick! thank you guys, ive been waiting for their reply the whole day but no luck!,.. but yeah it doesnt make sense, im paying a premium 379 euro for it, i think ill just get a used 7 for now.. cheers every one thank you so much

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't see it on the web site yet, only v1.22.

Fingers crossed they will now be able to fix the GPS issues. I'm still trying to get my Hero 9 replaced, but if a firmware updates does the trick it's fine by me...

Backpacker

[ New ]

I wouldn't count on it being available till nearer the end of the month (hence the reason there's no release date yet).  They have had a lot of work to do with this firmware release and some of the fixes are additional jobs they got added, so the folks in the firmware dept. have had their work cut out for them.  I for one am appreciating all the work they are doing to get things moving along, I can say, my faith is a little bit more restored at this point.

Backpacker

[ New ]

I would honestly go for a used Hero 8.  I have two of them and I find them rock solid.  The only downside is the non interchangable front lens cover, so investing in a protective case is recommended based on your usage.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi Everyone,

Good news - In case you missed it - as it was said by the GoPro Team here, GPS issues will be taken care of in a coming firmware update: https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

- Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
- HyperSmooth 3.0 – we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures.
- External Mic – connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
- GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
- Wireless Offload – Faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
- Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.
- What about a Remote Control? – YES, you can use voice commands and the GoPro app to control your HERO9 Black, but sometimes you just need that handy remote to make the magic happen at the right time. We are developing a new Remote Control for HERO9, as the previous GoPro Smart Remote is not compatible. Stay tuned to The Inside Line for availability of the new Remote.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, this evening I made some clips during my 8 km run. Now I have extracted the GPS data. Now I have luckily useful results. I can't tell yet if all clip data is ok. What have I done? Here in the forum I read about resetting the GoPro to factory settings / with the alrrady installed Firmware V1.22. I have done that. I also waited Outside a little before my run, a few minutes. It wasn't that cold ;-) Hope next Firmware Update will Push the Performance and accuracy a lot ... and That there will be Software to Easy edit the footage ...

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes @ollik70, next firmware update will have GPS improvements.
https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @haindash could you tell us something about audio popping issues ? please!

Hiker

[ New ]

Bin moi apres avoir tenter une mediation avec GoPro par le biais du formulaire de contact avec le SAV qui est à la rue et les Lettres recommandées envoyées a GoPro France qui sont restées sans reponse.

Demain je prends contact avec mon conseiller juridique pour regler cette affaire une bonne fois pour toute.

Je vous invite a tous faire pareil, j'hesite meme a creer une page Facebook pour  nous faire entendre.

Bon Week end

GoPro

[ New ]

@abdelb72

Bonjour,

Une update firmware (1.5) devrait arriver sous peu, elle contient de nombreux correctifs sur le GPS > https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Best,

Hiker

[ New ]

Per cortesia rispondi anche al problema del POP audio....per cortesia!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Merci haindash

C'est le comportement de GoPro qui n'est pas acceptable et non le probleme de GPS en lui meme

Best aussi ;)

Sightseer

[ New ]

As per latest info the FW v1.5 will be available in December, not in November. @haindash Do you know exact date?

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Sorry I don't know have that information. The team is adapting and trying to add more fixes as possible.
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash Per cortesia, non è a prima volta che provo a chiederlo, puoi ragguagliarci anche sul problema del POP Audio ?? basta sapere se ci stanno lavorando o meno :(

Andrea

GoPro

[ New ]
@andregixxer
There's an open bug on this, the team is investigating following user feedback on this issue.
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash grazie per la risposta, speriamo sia un problema risolvibile con un nuovo FW piuttosto che hardware

Andrea

Tourist

[ New ]

not GPS related but does anyone of you experienced a very choppy/stuttering footage on a hero 9? hmmmmm i had tons of footage last weekend and when i check it on the mobile it plays okay but when i try to copy it on my mac the footage is very much unusable. my first time experiencing this rare issue 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @melvins785

If the files are playing back fine on your mobile then this means that the source file is good.

What application are you using to play the files back on your Mac?

Please run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks ej,

Out of all the videos i filmed that day 2 out of 42 clips came out very choppy.. i am pretty much sure that the softwares im using to play and edit it are updated and enough.. both macs, windows and the mobile phones have the same.. problem.. its very strange tha when you view it on the gopro app or the gopro it self the video is just fine..but ones you transfer it via the quick app, or copy it via card reader it become choppy and unusable
Sightseer

[ New ]

@haindash Any news when v1.5 FW will be released?

GoPro

[ New ]
@frankkrehel I'm sorry, I don't know the exact date...

v1.5 Firmware Release:
Heads Up: This firmware update is now slated for December. Why? The more we test HERO9 Black in the field and the more feedback we receive from users, the more we identify little upgrades that will have huge impacts on the user experience. In order to provide the best experience, we are holding this firmware update to include as many improvements as possible, which includes:

Wireless Offload – Up to 20% faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
HyperSmooth 3.0 – We’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures.
Slo-Mo Shortcut – Introducing a new slo-mo shortcut option for rear display.
Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod – Support to bring ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming when using Max Lens Mod.
GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
External Mic – Connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.
Nomad

[ New ]

I eagerly await to see the results of this firmware - might just buy another 9 after selling my last one if its all rainbows on the other side

i just hope its not Gopro polishing a turd that will always be a TURD - with a little sparkle but still stinks ....... 

Just take the time and google the brand reputation world wide outside your own store and its not a pretty picture

Hiker

[ New ]

what they need is a reliable product - appears something unseen at gopro for a good 5+ years.

screw the yearly release and aim for 1 good proper one 2-3 years from now  - ONLY ONCE you fixed the bricks you sold and make good with the customers like us you don't give a shoot about

Hiker

[ New ]

"i don't know an exact date"........

you could be diplomatic with some back end info and say mid/ end of december. saying what you did could imply sometime 2021/2022 knowing Gopro's time frames.

what info are you forum people being fed?  it seems more and more obvious you're not working for Gopro but only an outsourced call/chat center trying to keep face with Gopro on this platform.........

your input in these forums serves no purpose outside what we already know - and i "think" we the users know more than you

Why isn't ther a gopro labs FW for the H9 for users to test at their own risk? worked on the 8 but Gopro never followed through with it

Backpacker

[ New ]

you could be diplomatic with some back end info and say mid/ end of december. saying what you did could imply sometime 2021/2022 knowing Gopro's time frames.

I completely agree, rather than giving a simple honest answer, this rep should have completely lied and promised a fictional date.  Instead they responded honestly and gave the user a link to the news about the firmware update, what's included and what the projected time frame is. 

what info are you forum people being fed?  it seems more and more obvious you're not working for Gopro but only an outsourced call/chat center trying to keep face with Gopro on this platform.........

Spot on @rapidalp1534   Well said.  Obviously the well known admin who spearheads the app developement, co-ordinates all the feedback we send, informs us of app updates and tells us is our issues are on the ticket, the admin who actually took it upon themselves to listen to us about the GPS info and make sure it was communicated back to a totally different department doesn't work for GoPro at all.  I'm amazed at your genius level thinking.  Well done and thank you for pointing this out to all of us.

your input in these forums serves no purpose outside what we already know

I 100% agree.  Giving us links to information about forthcoming updates, telling us about features that the GoPro app developement team is working on, telling us how to sign up for the beta programs and getting our feedback and actually implementing features based upon that feedback.  Giving us information about issues when no other admin could, it's obvious that this all serves no purpose.  How come no one has pointed this out before?  Again, I'm amazed, and I support this post 100%.  Dear GoPro staff, Stop with the information sharing and stop telling us things,  We demand less information and not to be informed.

- and i "think" we the users know more than you

Your "thinking" ability is right up there with your politeness and manners ability.  Someone at GoPro shares what information they have and all you do is be a rude little POS about it?  I get that you're disappointed in your camera, I get that it has issues.  However some of us have taken an active approach in working to find out what the issues are and how to get the issue resolved.  No one is forcing you to be a rude little turd, that's a choice.  Is that the person you are in life?  Is that how you treat everyone around you?  Is that the person you really want people to see and think you are?  Is that something that you're proud to be?  

Why isn't ther a gopro labs FW for the H9 for users to test at their own risk?

So for someone who "knows" more than others, how come you don't know the history of GoPro Labs Firmware?  Did you not read and understand who created it and why it was created?  Do you not understand that this was a side project by 1 engineer to shoot one video for one particular setup on one model of camera?  Do you really think that having to visit 5 different pages to generate QR Code, or download a seperate ugly and confusing QR code generating app is a good way for users to interface with their camera?

worked on the 8 but Gopro never followed through with it

By not following through, are you talking about GoPro taking some of the best features of the GoPro labs firmware and introducing them into the current model such as scheduled capture?  Actually building it into the camera menu so it can be easily set up by a user without having a load a side firmware project and generate QR Codes?  Is that what you mean by not following up?  

Let's not be mistaken here folks.  I think the GoPro Hero 9 was a disappointment at release.  It seems obvious to me that the Covid outbreak had a severe impact on the developement of the camera.  Rather than go on an insulting cruel mean and bullying rant like some people, I actually openly approached the GoPro staff with my concerns about the camera and what needed to be addressed.  I gave them examples, asked questions and listened to their responses.  What really impressed me was the fact that GoPro staff did share what information they could.  Some of the staff went out of their way, contacted departments they did not work in to find out the information and share it back to the users.  Frankly this is something you don't see happening in a lot of other companies and the direct feedback was welcoming and re-assuring.  Does the GoPro 9 have issues?  Sure.  Are GoPro working on fixing those issues?  Sure.  Does it take time to fix issues?  Sure.  Have other GoPro's had issues and required firmware updates?  Yes.  So the Hero 9 is no different than previous releases, the timing isn't great but with the year we had, is it understandable that GoPro are playing catchup?  Yes.  At the end of the day, you have choices. 

1:  You can stop, think, and express your concerns to GoPro.  You can give thoughtful, helpful feedback not only about the camera, but about the app too.  In turn, your feedback can help shape the future of the GoPro camera's and make them something to be truely proud of. 

2:  You can demand a refund if you're really that unhappy and take your business to a competitor.

3:  You can be an angry rude little troll who delights in the fact that they can bully others (even if they are trying to help) and take joy in making other people miserable because that's the only way you are able to feel good about yourself. 

The choice is yours, but at the end of the day, we should all know that #3 is a crappy way to live your life.

Nomad

[ New ]

understand both sides, customers feel ripped off, unheard and totally insigificant and its not nice backing a cr@p product either as a staff member when the fish is rotting from head - their culture needs a change. 

I have pledged not to buy another Gopro product after my disappointing upgrade from the 8-9 (remote loss was my turning point) and now have a 7 till something compelling comes out.

gopro do have to lift their game, pull their head out of the sand and face the music which i honestly don't think they have the backbone to do. Shonky support system which doesn't exist, no official appology just beating round the bush and crazy wording/ claims like this

• Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision

there is no precision it simply doesn't work - its NOT a precision issue of being out by a few seconds/minutes

Hiker

[ New ]

See my message “GPS not working in case of up-side-down??” I also faced a terrible GPS problem as mentioned here. Firstly, GoPro support team recommended the manual update into ver.1.22 using micro SD card. But it was NG. Finally, I replaced GoPro9 by RMA process. Currently I am satisfied with the replaced one. GoPro team says this failure comes from the firmware not the hardware issue. But my idea is that the firmware cannot buffer the production lot dispersion. That’s why there are some NG production lots.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello Melvins,

I bought the camera like a week and I have experience something similar. In the app video is perfect, but when i take the SD card and put it in the laptop, the video is choppy. But I have only notice this issue if I watched the videos directly from the SD card. Once all the videos are pasted in the PC is fine.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello tous ;)

Suite de l'aventure GoPro apres 3 lettres recommandés GoPro france fais le mort

J'ai mis a jour ma camera avec la derniere version de firmware mais le GPS est toujours absent.

C'est vraiment une camera qui me plait dommage que cette histoire de communication avec Gopro et ce probleme de GPS gache tout ca.

J'ai envoyer le dossier a mon conseil juridique j'attends de voir ce qu'ils vont me dire.

GoPro

[ New ]

@abdelb72 Désolée pour tous ces soucis et l'agacement que je comprends bien.

Si vous pouvez attendre encore un peu, la mise à jour du firmware 1.5 va arriver et elle règle les problèmes de GPS. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash, merci pour l'info j'espere qu'elle est bonne merci en tout cas de me l'avoir dit