Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]

Dear @redcave84125 Thank you for sharing your experience with your camera.

However for those of us who are experienced GoPro Users, we already know how to use quick capture when wanting to record GPS.  I personally have never used Quick Capture when recording.  I always wait until I have a GPS lock before recording video.

I have done side by side testing with the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 9 using a side by side mount by starting up both GoPro's, waiting for GPS lock and then started recording.  Both video's were using the same resolutin and same frame rates.  The simple fact is the GoPro Hero 8 accurately recording GPS data and the GoPro Hero 9 did not record GPS data at all.  

The issue is NOT with quick capture mode and to say that it is related to quick capture is very wrong indeed.

In fact the testing I carried out even had the camera starting and stopping at various points along the journey.  The Hero 8 recorded all GPS location data accurately.  The GP9 only recorded GPS data from the location of the initial lock and no further (even though the camera was not recording when it achieved the GPS lock).  This points to a very serious issue with actually recording and logging data accurately.  Again, this is NOT related to Quick Capture as Quick Capture mode was not used.

Hiker

[ New ]

Have not seen that.. gonna test it longer today and will report back to you..

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Dear @redcave84125 Thank you for sharing your experience with your camera.

However for those of us who are experienced GoPro Users, we already know how to use quick capture when wanting to record GPS.  I personally have never used Quick Capture when recording.  I always wait until I have a GPS lock before recording video.

I have done side by side testing with the GoPro Hero 8 and GoPro Hero 9 using a side by side mount by starting up both GoPro's, waiting for GPS lock and then started recording.  Both video's were using the same resolutin and same frame rates.  The simple fact is the GoPro Hero 8 accurately recording GPS data and the GoPro Hero 9 did not record GPS data at all.  

The issue is NOT with quick capture mode and to say that it is related to quick capture is very wrong indeed.

In fact the testing I carried out even had the camera starting and stopping at various points along the journey.  The Hero 8 recorded all GPS location data accurately.  The GP9 only recorded GPS data from the location of the initial lock and no further (even though the camera was not recording when it achieved the GPS lock).  This points to a very serious issue with actually recording and logging data accurately.  Again, this is NOT related to Quick Capture as Quick Capture mode was not used.

Nomad

[ New ]
Yes. The GPS has never worked reliably with Quik Capture on any previous GoPro. If you can get good GPS results when not using Quik Capture (reliably), you got a better unit that most
Hiker

[ New ]
Lucky me lol
I tested it today in the car, all good. Happy to help with any testing.

The Quick capture worked ok with my 7black.
Nomad

[ New ]

If you still have your Hero7 it would be interesting to see side by side results, like here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/Hero-9-for-telemetry/gpm-p/724365#M635

Hiker

[ New ]
No I gave away when I received the 9.. I will see if I can get my mate to bring it back to test it..
Nomad

[ New ]

Someone that is already running the next firmware version told me the GPS has not improved, which is expected, as that was not listed as one of the improvements for the October 20 update

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello guys i haven't found any useful remedy that could fix the gps issue.. i just contacted gopro and asked for a replacement unit. They said yes without any hesitation and accepted the fact that it has some issues which we users are experiencing. Im just hoping in all honesty that the replacement wont have this issue or it would be shameful.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello!
I have GPS.
I do the following:
Wait until the GPS icon lights up.
I'll wait 2 minutes after that.
The camera will obtain the GPS lock in 2 minutes.
If I start recording after that, I will have good GPS data.
Watch my video below:

https://youtu.be/y3ypX3qw4ag

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @leranta ,

yes but....

1. with gp8-7 I do not care about this 2min and still have GPS valid data as soon as I'm out.
  2. my garmin fenix 6X watch needs seconds as well.

• even I stay 2 minutes outside, the GPS measurements are not consistent in the exif.
  • sometimes, even without those 2 minutes, I have from the beginning consistent data for 10-14 sec, then nothing - even I stay in the same open place.
  • even I move, GPS shall acquire the accurate data on the go.....see below....

seems that at least, gopro9 GPS chip has problems with TTSF - time to second fix.

TTFF time to first fix is when the GPS chip "searches the sky" for all satellites for the first time after a long time powered off or 200km away from the last know position - takes maximum 15min from scratch.

GPS signal has also the date/time inside.

after GPS chip read the sky, it downloads a broadcasted almanac (send by each satellite every 12.5 min)some kind of "timetable of the satellites" for 180 days.

when the satellite signal is read, each satellite sends a so-called ephemeris data, the exact orbit, altitude, etc, broadcasted every 30sec and valid for up to 4 hours - now we talk about GPS chip acquiring an accurate position,  TTSF - time to second fix.

when a GPS chip is powered on, for a short TTSF needs:

• the current time within 20sec 
  • the last position is known, and the device in 100km range
  • moving below 90km/h
  • valid almanac

as I said many times, I just hope it is about a software issue, that can be fixed, and not a hardware one.

just me,

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

I did some further testing with my GP9, and my observations do point to a hardware issue.
Driving on a road with no trees around it the GPS is fine, but after some trees show next, the GPS accuracy drops and disappear.
The camera is mounted outside the car, and there are planty of trees, but not of them goes over the road.
Also even after I wait 2 minutes after the solid white GPS icon, putting my hands on top of the camera and I can see the GPS icon blinking and some time disappearing.
GPS is using radio waves and should be able to go trough my hands with no gloves or something.
I don't have a previous GoPro to test with, but my radar detector (no sim or internet conectivity ) is by far much more accurate than the gopro.
I really doubt that it even has GLONASS, but still manages to show accurate speed all the time without losing the signal.
The same goes for Grom Vline for which I have putted the GPS antenna in the glove box of the car, and still shows correct location and speed. (Just to mention it does not have a sim card and it's not using cellar phone location, but only GPS and GLONASS).
Having that said, I really hope for a software fix, but from my testing it does look more like a hardware issue, the GPS antenna is way to sensitive to any kind of obsticales, and it does manage to work kind of okay in open field, but as soon as there is something around it stops.
Which points more to an antenna being to weak, or internal components blocking the signal.
Another test I did was just rotating the camera upside down, and again it looses the GPS.
Again being on my balcony and doing tests, only one of the videos had the GPS location.
The irony is that it was 3rd out of 4 clips, and although I wasn't moving and the camera wasn't turned of the next video clip had no GPS data.
Anyway I will wait to the software update coming on 20th, but if that does not solve the problem, I would like to get a RMA, hopefully with working GPS.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @djovani 

good tests!

same here... hit and miss GPS signal.

I just hope it is a software issue.

have a good one,

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

As far as I'm concerned it's the same as djovani,
no functional GPS, reimbursement of the camera
If it works like "quick fix for gopro", you don't have to

Tourist

[ New ]

It looks like GoPro is aware of the problem and is searching for a firmware fix.

GPS_Fix.PNG

https://github.com/gopro/gpmf-parser/issues/112#issuecomment-712962210

Nomad

[ New ]

Indeed, they have known now about the problem now for over 26 days and still no straight answer about a fix.

Do we all have to request replacement Hero 9 units or can a firmware update correct the problem their testing (if any) missed?

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, I started this thread and had a bad enough gut feeling that I just sent everything back for a refund. I personally think this is more than just a firmware fix.

Tourist

[ New ]
I might get there too, but I just received my camera recently and my 30-day clock still grants GoPro a few weeks benefit of the doubt. I hope we soon learn if a software fix is possible, lest I too play it safe and send it back.
Nomad

[ New ]

Since apparently not all of them have the problem with GPS - I don't have such a problem either - so it is not a general problem and we therefore rather suspect a hardware defect ...

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi

Not sure we don't all have the same problem

Some may expect less from their Hero9
and what they have may be enough

Mine for example, gives GPS data that I extract with "quick fix for gopro" which cost me $ 49 but the result does not satisfy me at all

What I have with the hero5 is much better

Tourist

[ New ]

Add one more to the GPS not working. Big no-no as I bought the camera mainly for karting :(

Sightseer

[ New ]

+1 Another faulty GPS here. Bought it on Sept 23. Can share firmware camera details if that helps support team.

I bought it to record Rouvy routes ( cycling VR program ) so having embedded GPS was really one of the main drivers.

Tourist

[ New ]

GPS doesn't work for me either. I went outside, made sure the GPS lite up, then started a timewarp. When I downloaded it to my computer then selected the gauges button, I was told there was no GPS data. 

Nomad

[ New ]
Don't use Quik for checking GPS data, though. It's not compatible with the Hero 9 (or 8) out of the box. Use the mobile app or the telemetry extractor
Hiker

[ New ]
Kann es sein das die Hero 9 voll die Katastrophe ist, am Anfang hatte ich zwei zurückgegeben wegen Pixelfehlern was nun geht es mit dem GPS weiter, bei den ersten hatte ich es nicht getestet. Jetzt bin ich mit der Qualität zufrieden und jetzt geht dort weiter, das GPS Signal ist sofort da unter einer Sekunde in den Metadaten der Bilder/Videos auf dem Smartphone sind keine GPS Einträge da...also kann ich am Montag das nächste mal beim Mediamarkt anrücken oder wie? Bei der Quik App sind auch keine Daten vorhanden.
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm pretty sure GPS was never meant to work with TimeWarp though.  TimeWarp video doesn't play back in real time.  I think you'll have to record regular video if you want to use GPS stickers.

Tourist

[ New ]
I was able to record a TimeWarp video today on my bike and the GPS data looks fantastic.
Backpacker

[ New ]
Another person who doesn't know what they are talking about. With the gp8, I have never had any issue with timewarp and timelapse. Its always worked perfectly
Nomad

[ New ]

With the Hero8, GPS is also saved in real time with Timewarp, but the video is compressed, which doesn't fit together over time ... Quik didn't work with the Hero8, so it's nothing new. Maybe the GoPro APP could handle Timewarp and GPS - I never tried. The APP is good for remote control of the camera and nothing really.

I separate time warp video and GPS data, only process the GPS data with Racerender and then merge everything in the editing program. I have complete control over video and GPS.

Tourist

[ New ]

Saludos a todos.

Estoy como vosotros ,a mi me aparece que no hay datos gps ,para sobreescribir las telemetrias encima del video.

He reseteado a fabrica ,actualizado manualmente ,y nada ,no funciona.

Intentare ponerme en contacto con el soporte ,haber que solucion se le puede dar ,porque el plazo de devolucion ha terminado ,pero no el de todos los accesorios adquiridos .

Lastima que GOPRO este usando al usuario final como beta tester

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay, I was able to get the GPS data to show with Timewarp. The problem was the desktop app.  To get the GPS data to work, I had to use the iOS app, connect to the camera, download the clip (must actually be downloaded), only then could I add GPS stickers. 

Why the desktop version does not allow us to add stickers is beyond me. I would expect GPS stickers to work out of the box with a windows machine. Having to run all my clips through a mobile device is a bad design for a premium camera. Hopefully, I find alternative windows software to add stickers without the use of a mobile device.  

Hiker

[ New ]
Siehst du die GPS-Metadaten wenn du sie von der GoPro per USB auf den Rechner kopierst?
Nomad

[ New ]
Here are alternative software options for adding telemetry stickers https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...
Hiker

[ New ]
Ich gebe doch kein Geld aus nur um zu sehen ob das GPS der Kamera geht oder nicht!!! Wenn es von GoPro bis Freitag kein Statement gibt, geht mit dem 14 Tage Rückgaberechts wieder zum Media Markt. Der Support bei GoPro ist ja total schlecht, kein Mailen möglich oder ein Anruf, keine Hotline. Und das für fast 500€. GoPro macht weiter so...da ist DJI bald die bessere Wahl.
Nomad

[ New ]

Tell me someone is actually reading something that has already been posted x times ?! The GoProAPP is sufficient to check whether the Hero 9 GPS has started. This can also be used to create the desired overlays. QUICK ON THE PC IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED !!! THIS HAS ALREADY KNOWN SINCE THE HERO 8, IS COMMUNICATED ACCORDINGLY, HAS BEEN POSTED SEVERAL TIMES IN THE FORUM AND THEREFORE NOT NEW !!! Yes, there is software from 3rd providers such as. RaceRender can be processed with the GPS on the PC. Yes, there is even software to check the availability of GPS data for FREE - all of this, including all relevant links, has also already been posted x times .... YOU JUST HAVE TO READ IT! But not even posts that were posted 3 pages before in the same threat are read ... And then someone writes GoPro had to write something big and bold because nobody reads the small print - so big and often it can't be written so that it works h really everyone understands and is not upset that they didn't know that.

Hiker

[ New ]
So etwas sollte aber nicht im Forum stehen über 20 Seiten sondern auf der GoPro Seite bei Updates. Also heißt es jetzt für mich, wenn bei Android in der App keine Daten vorhanden sind, ist das GPS in der Kamera defekt. Das heißt für mich das dritte mal Kamera zurück bringen weil es nicht funktioniert!!!
Hiker

[ New ]

The issue/s are:

1- GPS is not , we spent hundreds of dollars for something to work as it is suppose to work. GPS is temperamental and need a fix

2- GoPro not planning a desktop software is bazaar. not every GoPro 9 owner used 8

3- I don't have time to go through pages after pages to know what issues present.. 

Take is easy buddy! life's too short and unsubscribe from the thread :) 

@oliverz513 wrote:

Tell me someone is actually reading something that has already been posted x times ?! The GoProAPP is sufficient to check whether the Hero 9 GPS has started. This can also be used to create the desired overlays. QUICK ON THE PC IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED !!! THIS HAS ALREADY KNOWN SINCE THE HERO 8, IS COMMUNICATED ACCORDINGLY, HAS BEEN POSTED SEVERAL TIMES IN THE FORUM AND THEREFORE NOT NEW !!! Yes, there is software from 3rd providers such as. RaceRender can be processed with the GPS on the PC. Yes, there is even software to check the availability of GPS data for FREE - all of this, including all relevant links, has also already been posted x times .... YOU JUST HAVE TO READ IT! But not even posts that were posted 3 pages before in the same threat are read ... And then someone writes GoPro had to write something big and bold because nobody reads the small print - so big and often it can't be written so that it works h really everyone understands and is not upset that they didn't know that.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Folks the issue is that the GP9 has a serious GPS issue.  At this stage so many people are affected by this that there's 11 pages to this thread and even I wouldn't expect anyone to read back through 11 pages to find 1 paragraph that has a response from GoPro (and the person is on the app side, not the firmware side which is where the problem lies apparantly).

At this stage, GoPro should have a side bar that people can click on to give them the latest update on the issue.  It would solve a lot of issues and stop people going back and forth over the same things.  So while I understand you're angry and disappointed about the GPS issue, being angry at eachother isn't going to solve the issue, make the product any better or help make your day any better.

So with the lack of an official GoPro side bar, I would suggest opening wordpad, copying a few lines in there and next time you see this thread opened up with some talking about GPS issues, post the actual facts so far.

The GoPro 9 has a GPS issue.  GoPro are looking into this and have confirmed it's not a hardware issue.

GoPro Quik has not been updated in 2 years, it did not fully support the GoPro Hero 8, it does not support the GoPro Hero 9 (nor will it ever).  GoPro have new desktop software in the works  (Mural) but no release date has been given other than "in the fall" according to their investor relations release.  They probably won't release is until the GP9 GPS error is fixed.

There is 3rd party GPS software that will work with previous GoPro models (5, 6, 7, 8) and MAY work with the GoPro Hero 9, however no software is magical enough to produce data where no data is recorded.  You can find the 3rd party software here:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quik

You can check for the presence of GPS data using the free tool found here:

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

If there's any update to the GPS issue, paste it on the bottom of the above but stick to the facts.

I think this is the best we can do, so rather than pick fights with eachother, let's try and help the folks that are coming here looking for answers, as new GoPro Hero 9 owners, they deserve to know the facts and have someone try to help them.  So let's at least try and do that and to keep them informed.  It's not an idea solution but someone needs to look out for them and it seems that until GoPro have a fix, that's us.

Nomad

[ New ]

they should just release Mural now. we're so used to working with their premature releases and bugs so nothing new and nothing lost:P 

it may just be the saving grace for the hero9???? there is no light at the end of this tunnel any time soon so there is nothing to loose

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, the GPS is in the file when I copy it to the PC.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all,

Same issue for me 2 weeks that i try to have a gps trace and nothing, it's always weird data. Look at my picture, i was with my car and not a plane ....

My hero 9 is up to date with the last firmware released last week and there is no change. I'm affraid because in the firmware upgrade roadmap there is no fix annonced.

My goal was to edit video with GPS overIay and i have choose gopro for that and the result is :

- the  software is not OK with hero 9

- the gps is compleztly **bleep**ed up ....

great next, time i will buy a chinese action cam for half price and better result :(

When i see all problem i really feel like that gopro launched the hero 9 to early before the end of testing just for counter the insta360 and other new action cam.

GoPro team will you fix this issue ? give us an answer if it's software or hardware ? should i return the cam ? (may be this is the reason why hero 9 is sold with the replacement program)

Please give us a solution

thank you

Capturegps.JPG
GoPro

[ New ]

I'm sorry for this big frustration.

I do know that the team is working on this as I speak. I do reiterate the fact that it's not hardware issue and the fix we are looking at, is firmware related.

Tourist

[ New ]
glade to hear that
hope the firmware will be release soon
thanks for your quick answer
Nomad

[ New ]

My second Hero9 records much better GPS data. Not as good as the 8, but usable under good conditions (and a bit of luck). Test results here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/Hero-9-for-telemetry/gpm-p/810747/highli...

Hiker

[ New ]

My gut feeling as an electrical engineer tells me that there is more to this than just a firmware update, which is why I sent my Hero 9 back for a full refund. GoPro really dropped that ball on this. I mean this is their flagship device and they don't even have software that can leverage the GPS capability.

Tourist

[ New ]

i would like to thank gopro for sending me the replacement unit :). now i must say that the GPS is working perfectly as it should be the first time. it locks on to the gps signal like a snap.. to those who are still experiecing this issue, i suggest you email them and ask for a replacement unit instead. I tried side by side with my hero 7 and to my surprise the replacement hero 9 locks on faster..

at GOPRO i wish for the next update, to add a gps icon on the screen while recording a video. :) its aways nice to see that icon lit up.. cheers everyone

Nomad

[ New ]

Locking fast (or having a lit icon earlier, really) is not necessarily a good thing. My 9 locks instantly and my 8 takes longer, usually, but the 8 records more reliable data.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Kajuna, I did notice the same.. how do I compare the data collected?
Nomad

[ New ]
You can go here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

Load your video file and go to GPS -> View Map
There you can enable the DARK map background so your path stands out, and take a screenshot or use the photo download button.

Would be interesting to see your results.
Tourist

[ New ]

what i meant is on the screen while recording. aside from the remaining time on your SD card on the upper left screen, record time in the middle and remaining battery percentage in the upper right corner. A gps icon is much more an additional information specially to those users like mo who uses quick capture option. i think its better if you use quick capture option then on the screen you can see right away if theres any signal coming

Hiker

[ New ]

Test one, seems i was in the ocea nswimming for awhile lol this the 8

8 1.gpx-294.png