Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]

Hi kajuna, I had to watch https://youtu.be/PtQifIe01Dg the tutorial to learn how to view it on the GoPro app. So it looks like the telemetry is preserved and accessible by the app. I just didnt know how to use it... oops

However, most of the data looks ok but the elevation data seems off... I will have to play around with it more to get a better idea but probably end up RMA my camera since I am having dead pixels + screen flickering issue.

goproapp #hero8black #gopromaxHero 8 GPS Telemetry using Gopro App for android.Simply import your media using gopro app and edit in the gopro app gallery to...
Nomad

[ New ]
Altitude is never very accurate with this kind of GPS antenna. If latitude, longitude and speed are good, consider yourself lucky
Nomad

[ New ]

After watching all those wonderful videos on YouTube showing how great the Hero 9 was I bought one as an upgrade from my Hero 7 Black.

Of course, I don't think in any of the videos I watched did they use the GPS in the camera which is dreadful.

Of course there is no GoPro Windows app anymore to examine the data so at first I blanked the apps I am using for not being compatible but it would seem the issue is the Hero 9.

GPS tracks have pathetic accuracy compared with my Hero 7 with tracks all over the place and spikes in the speed up to 147mph (not a bad walking pace).

Yes, I have done a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware and other than resetting the file name count it has done nothing.

At least it has not fallen out of the air. Yes, I have a Karma Drone :)

Mr. GoPro, do you agree there is an issue and is a fix or product recall on the horizon?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone! Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you. This is something that we've already shared with the team and we're looking further into this. We'll keep everyone posted once new information is available. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Nomad

[ New ]

@aenriquez I realise that you're only allowed to give the "Copy and paste" reply, but if there's any way you can convey the following back to the "higher ups" it would be appreciated.

Dear GoPro,  there have been many missteps in the GoPro stratagey and even Nick Woodman has admitted that.  I appreciate that GoPro is trying their best to correct some of the mistakes made in the past and I have to say, as a long term customer and owner of many GoPro's, I really do appreciate those changes.  The beta groups for the Webcam app, GoPro Player, GoPro app are all fantastic and I love being able to interact with the people working hard to improve the GoPro camera's.  Even though the GoPro Hero 9 has had issues upon release, the write up in "The Inside Line" was also a great way to communicate that GoPro is aware of issues and working hard to find solutions.  

I would only ask that you do more of this positive and forward communication regarding your products.  With the release of the GoPro Hero 9, I think more write ups and open communications with customers would be appreciated.  Let us know what issues you are currently working, what is still on the list, and mostly, what your projected timelines are.  Please differentiate yourself from the competition by being the company that listens, talks and communicates.  You have promised us that the GoPro Hero 9 offers #moreeverything but I would ask you to back this up by doing more, more communicating, more proactive listening and give more hope to your customers.

I really do want to like the GoPro Hero 9 and say great things about it, but right now, the negative points are out weighing the positive and I'm honestly finding it to be a very hard camera to recommend to people to buy.  So give me something good to say about GoPro, give me something good to say about how GoPro are listening, communicating and talking to their customers.  Give me something #more than the other manufactures our there are giving their customers.

Thank you for your time and for listening.

IrishmanPDX

Tourist

[ New ]

another hero 9 gps not working :)..

the camera in all its glory seems to be perfectly working, quality is absolutely very much at the top and here's the BUT! i cant seem to find a way how to play with the gps even though gps is already lit up and on.. a 379 euro brand new shoudnt have this issue in my opinion :) ive watch a ton of video turorial from turning it on first while clicking the record button to waiting for the gps signal first and no fix!.. and by the way, bought 2 hero 9 but none of them is working as it should be.. 

hmmmm any future firmware update to fix the problem? 

Hiker

[ New ]

I managed to make the GPS work more or less.

1. Recording.
Wait until the GPS icon lights up before recording. I'll wait 2 minutes after that!
After that, I start recording. This way I get quite a tolerable GPS result.

2. Processing
The Gopro QUIK desktop program is forgetful.

First I extract the telemetry data from the downloaded video with this program: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/#

I'll make the video with DashWare.
http://www.dashware.net/

Hiker

[ New ]

Après les 379€ que m’a couté cette camera et les 60€ d’accessoires (batteries, chargeur et housse)

J’ai fini par dépenser encore $49 dans le soft « GoPro GPS Quik » mais le résultat est décevant, très décevant.

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quik

Oubliez les données GPS avec cette camera