Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]

I've had the Hero 9 a week and most features appear to work. The one thing that is problematic is the GPS. I can't get it work correctly. What I do manage to get is erratic and unstable. Someone mentioned that there is talk of a defective internal GPS antenna. I hope not. If GPS functionality is important to you, please check it first thing when you receive your camera.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 9 and bad GPS Functionality

[ New ]

HERO9 Firmware update 1.5 has fixed the GPS issues - many users have reported things are now back to being ok :)

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

This includes:

• Up to 30% faster wireless offload speeds for faster transfers to the GoPro app.
  • Improved HyperSmooth 3.0 performance in cold temperatures.
  • A slo-mo shortcut slider button.
  • Improved GPS lock accuracy.
  • Support for live streaming with the Max Lens Mod, bringing HyperSmooth video stabilization, ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming.
  • Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter support for those seeking an elevated audio input option outside of using the Media Mod for HERO9 Black.

Firmware updates are also available for HERO8 Black and GoPro MAX today that increase wireless transfer speeds by up to 15% and 20%, respectively. And these firmware updates for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black and MAX most notably enable compatibility with the latest GoPro accessory, The Remote.

For other issues - please start a new post, this one is quite full now and we may get lost in it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same problem with the gps. Here is the result in 0.5s photo timelapse mode, with the hero 9 on my car roof:

hero9_bad_gps.jpg 

Nomad

[ New ]
There are definitely some units with a bad gps antenna. Mine was one. There are also good ones
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello

Il semble que je sois dans un cas similaire, chez moi ca fonctionne ni avec l'appli ni sur le PC

Le GPS est activé mais aucune donnée GPS dans les video.

Je pensais que je merdais quelques part

Y a t'il eu des solution depuis ?

Merci

Nomad

[ New ]
Make sure you test the GPS outdoors, never indoors. You can actually see if your video files contain GPS data here: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/
Tourist

[ New ]

Sadly I also seem to be suffering from this. I've tried my new Hero 9 Black both in my car and when walking. The video captured is very good, but the GPS results are most disappointing.

The data gathered is to put it simply unusable. Neither track nor speed is even remotely correct. When not recording GPS indicator goes on and off randomly. I've tried the Hero 9 on different days and in different terrain.

I am using the same car mount that I've been using for my Hero 8 Black, and the Hero 8 doesn't show any problems. The Hero 9 wasn't even able to capture GPS accurately when I was walking with it being handheld under open sky.

Is there maybe a software updated addressing this problem in the making or is this a hardware problem?

Has anyone been able to resolve this is or does the unit need to be returned? 

edit; I've tried data extraction with the online telemetry extractor and with RaceRendeer. Both produce the same poor GPS data.

Hiker

[ New ]

Je pense que c'est materiel, pas la moindre donnée GPS extratible des fichier

Merci kajuna mais je sais deja cela.

Je vais essayer de prendre contatc avec GoPro pour avoir le fin  mot de cette histoire, ce probleme semble repandu.

Ma confiance en GoPro vient d'en prendre un coup

GoPro

[ New ]

@buckaroo60, @sprystorm3611, @abdelb72, @magnusl7608, if it would help, try to manually reinstall the camera's firmware. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

I am struggling with the same problem.
The GPS icon lights up to indicate that the camera is receiving a GPS signal.
When I download the video, I don’t have any data, even though I’m out in the open.

Hiker

[ New ]

Merci aenriquez,

J'ai fais tout cela sans succes, j'ai meme desinstallé l'application de mon telephone et reinstaller le tout.

Toujours pas de GPS.

J'ai bien l'icone GPS sur la page du menu, mais pas sur l'ecran quand je film

Hiker

[ New ]

20200926_190022 (Copier).jpg20200926_185921 (Copier).jpg

Nomad

[ New ]
GoPro are aware of this issue and are looking into it https://github.com/gopro/gpmf-parser/issues/112
Hiker

[ New ]

Yep, did all that. Reloaded the firmware via the SD Card and did a full camera Factory Reset.  Same identical results. Terrible GPS!

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, I'm bummed about the whole thing. Gopro support doesn't seem to know what's going. I think they beleive that it's operator error or something. I'm a EE designer and it appears to be hardware related to me.  I decided to just send everything back for a refund since I'm within my thrity days to do. I've been burned in the past with situations like this, and it's not going to happen again.

Good luck to everyone else who is having issues.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply. I tried out the suggested actions, but to no avail.

The camera still doesn't capture GPS data correctly.

I'll contact support directly like you advised.

@aenriquez wrote:

@buckaroo60, @sprystorm3611, @abdelb72, @magnusl7608, if it would help, try to manually reinstall the camera's firmware. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

J'ai enfin eu un contact hier avec le support GoPro

Bien évidement il a mis cela sur le compte de la mise à jour, que j'avais faite en automatique a la mise en service, il m'a demandé de refaire la manipulation en manuel et de recontacter le support si cela ne fonctionnait pas.

J'ai donc refait la mie a jour manuellement

Désinstaller les applications a nouveaux et tout réinstallés

Même problème pas de données GPS même avec l'application sur le téléphone.

Aujourd'hui je tente sans succès de refaire un mail au support cela ne passe pas.

Du coup j'en ai marre je viens de faire un courrier recommander avec accuser de réception au siège de GoPro France pour faire valoir mon droit de rétractation comme la loi m'y autorise

Je vais tester L'Insta360 ONE R, j'hésitais et j'avais donné ma préférence a Gopro car j'étais un inconditionnel, j'ai 4 cameras GoPro dont j'étais très content jusqu'a ce problème avec la Hero 9 et le fait que je peux mettre ma Hero3 et ses accessoires a la poubelle car Gopro ne répare plus cette caméra.

Il semble que le GPS soit un vrai problème avec cette caméra, pourtant j’ai pas le moindre soucis avec ma Hero 5 sur ce point.

Backpacker

[ New ]

I've been filming with 3 GoPro camera's at the same time.  Roof mounted GoPro Fusion, Window mounted GoPro Hero 8 and Window Mounted GoPro Hero 9.  The Hero 8 and Hero 9 are on a double mount side by side.  The GoPro Fusion takes a few moments, but acquire's a GPS signal and it's a steady signal.  Meanwhile the GoPro Hero 8 will take a few moments to acquire a GPS signal, but once it does, it also stays quite steady.  The GoPro Hero 9, it will acquire a signal, lose the signal, acquire it again, lose it again. Basically the GPS icon flashes like christmas tree lights as it acquires and then loses GPS.  I have to say, I'm not impressed.  If I want to use GPS data, I'm forced to film with my GoPro Hero 8.  

Hiker

[ New ]

neither desktop nor mobile quik app can find the gps data, but it's there when I use the extractor. Well, there, but not entirely usable. It says I was going 1400mph on a mountain bike. In a very straight line. On another continent. 

Smiley LOL

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro se moque de nous

Il nous a vendu une camera non aboutie, et il ne reponds plus au demande de contact.

Je vais me faire rembourser cette camera et allez voir ailleurs si cela fonctionne mieux.

Hiker

[ New ]

I can see my photos are preserving my GPS data meaning the camera is able to obtain it. But none of the videos I recorded at the same time is showing GPS data when playback on the GoPro app...

Hiker

[ New ]
I used https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/# to check the gps on my video. Its actually saved and preserved. However, on the Quik program, it says that there is no GPS data available.... Why?
Nomad

[ New ]
The Hero8 & 9 GPS data is not compatible with Quik for Windows or macOS. You can find some alternative software to edit your videos with telemetry gauges here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...

Or you can modify your files with this tool I created to make them compatible with Quik: https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi kajuna, thanks for providing a great list and thread. However, I am using the GoPro app on android and I don't see any way to view or add the GPS telemetry for my video.
Nomad

[ New ]

Does the GPS Path look good in https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free ?

If so the phone app should usually allow you to add the gauges.

If the path does not look accurate, you may have to improve your GPS recording "technique". Here are some tips (not sure if I have shared this before in this thread): https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

But note that several Hero9s are producing bad GPS data even in optimal conditions.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi kajuna, I had to watch https://youtu.be/PtQifIe01Dg the tutorial to learn how to view it on the GoPro app. So it looks like the telemetry is preserved and accessible by the app. I just didnt know how to use it... oops

However, most of the data looks ok but the elevation data seems off... I will have to play around with it more to get a better idea but probably end up RMA my camera since I am having dead pixels + screen flickering issue.

goproapp #hero8black #gopromaxHero 8 GPS Telemetry using Gopro App for android.Simply import your media using gopro app and edit in the gopro app gallery to...
Nomad

[ New ]
Altitude is never very accurate with this kind of GPS antenna. If latitude, longitude and speed are good, consider yourself lucky
Nomad

[ New ]

After watching all those wonderful videos on YouTube showing how great the Hero 9 was I bought one as an upgrade from my Hero 7 Black.

Of course, I don't think in any of the videos I watched did they use the GPS in the camera which is dreadful.

Of course there is no GoPro Windows app anymore to examine the data so at first I blanked the apps I am using for not being compatible but it would seem the issue is the Hero 9.

GPS tracks have pathetic accuracy compared with my Hero 7 with tracks all over the place and spikes in the speed up to 147mph (not a bad walking pace).

Yes, I have done a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware and other than resetting the file name count it has done nothing.

At least it has not fallen out of the air. Yes, I have a Karma Drone :)

Mr. GoPro, do you agree there is an issue and is a fix or product recall on the horizon?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone! Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you. This is something that we've already shared with the team and we're looking further into this. We'll keep everyone posted once new information is available. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@aenriquez I realise that you're only allowed to give the "Copy and paste" reply, but if there's any way you can convey the following back to the "higher ups" it would be appreciated.

Dear GoPro,  there have been many missteps in the GoPro stratagey and even Nick Woodman has admitted that.  I appreciate that GoPro is trying their best to correct some of the mistakes made in the past and I have to say, as a long term customer and owner of many GoPro's, I really do appreciate those changes.  The beta groups for the Webcam app, GoPro Player, GoPro app are all fantastic and I love being able to interact with the people working hard to improve the GoPro camera's.  Even though the GoPro Hero 9 has had issues upon release, the write up in "The Inside Line" was also a great way to communicate that GoPro is aware of issues and working hard to find solutions.  

I would only ask that you do more of this positive and forward communication regarding your products.  With the release of the GoPro Hero 9, I think more write ups and open communications with customers would be appreciated.  Let us know what issues you are currently working, what is still on the list, and mostly, what your projected timelines are.  Please differentiate yourself from the competition by being the company that listens, talks and communicates.  You have promised us that the GoPro Hero 9 offers #moreeverything but I would ask you to back this up by doing more, more communicating, more proactive listening and give more hope to your customers.

I really do want to like the GoPro Hero 9 and say great things about it, but right now, the negative points are out weighing the positive and I'm honestly finding it to be a very hard camera to recommend to people to buy.  So give me something good to say about GoPro, give me something good to say about how GoPro are listening, communicating and talking to their customers.  Give me something #more than the other manufactures our there are giving their customers.

Thank you for your time and for listening.

IrishmanPDX

Tourist

[ New ]

another hero 9 gps not working :)..

the camera in all its glory seems to be perfectly working, quality is absolutely very much at the top and here's the BUT! i cant seem to find a way how to play with the gps even though gps is already lit up and on.. a 379 euro brand new shoudnt have this issue in my opinion :) ive watch a ton of video turorial from turning it on first while clicking the record button to waiting for the gps signal first and no fix!.. and by the way, bought 2 hero 9 but none of them is working as it should be.. 

hmmmm any future firmware update to fix the problem? 

Hiker

[ New ]

I managed to make the GPS work more or less.

1. Recording.
Wait until the GPS icon lights up before recording. I'll wait 2 minutes after that!
After that, I start recording. This way I get quite a tolerable GPS result.

2. Processing
The Gopro QUIK desktop program is forgetful.

First I extract the telemetry data from the downloaded video with this program: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/#

I'll make the video with DashWare.
http://www.dashware.net/

Hiker

[ New ]

Après les 379€ que m’a couté cette camera et les 60€ d’accessoires (batteries, chargeur et housse)

J’ai fini par dépenser encore $49 dans le soft « GoPro GPS Quik » mais le résultat est décevant, très décevant.

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quik

Oubliez les données GPS avec cette camera

Nomad

[ New ]
Is the problem after the GPS Quick Fix the accuracy of the recorded data? Or something else? (Like synchronization, which is solved with Quik 2.5.0)

Remember that with the Quick Fix you get personal email support, so feel free to get in touch.
Hiker

[ New ]

salut!
Cela m'est venu.
Héros 9.
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/#

Ensuite, DashWare.

https://youtu.be/fntlXV10SvY

Nomad

[ New ]

As it says at https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-hero-8-no-gps-data

"Note: Some early HERO9 units seem to always record bad GPS data. GoPro is looking into this"

I have one of the many Hero 9 units that is totally useless :(

Nomad

[ New ]

This lucky chap has one that works properly and is the only example I have seem working 100% properly.

https://youtu.be/y3ypX3qw4ag

Hiker

[ New ]

The interesting thing is that I have a Gramin running watch that I've been using for a number of years and and it records speed, lat and long just fine. When I turn it on, it takes 20-30 sec to lock in on the satellites.The the Garmin is three year old technology, so why can't the Gopro do it better in the Hero 9. As an electrical engineer this makes no sense to me, unless they're using outdated tech.

Hiker

[ New ]

It looks like he had a similar issue to what we all are experiencing, and was able to get a more stable connection by waiting a period of minutes for a more consistant SAT lock. This really doesn't make much sense to me as I've seen smaller devices, a third of the size of the Gopro, able to lock onto Satellites much faster.  Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture here. The camera is marketed as an action/vlog camera and not a tracking device. It's fairly obvious, just like in their earlier Hero versions, that the GPS function is secondary to its primary core function.

Backpacker

[ New ]

The fact is the GoPro is advertised as having GPS available and GPS stickers available via the app.  People who fly planes, race bikes, race cars and do other various action oriented activities often want and need GPS data from their camera's.

Side by side, the Hero 8 our peforms the Hero 9 when it comes to GPS accuracy and reliability.  The Hero 8 only take a few seconds to achieve Sat lock and Hero 9 takes a few minutes and even at that, it's unreliable.  From the early strip down reports, both models are using the same GPS chip, so either there is a big software flaw in the camera when it comes to logging GPS or the placement of the front LCD screen has resulted in interference or blocking of the GPS signal, in which case it's a design flaw.

GoPro have acknowledge they are aware of the  issue, however the issue is not slated to be addressed in either the October or November firmware updates which is what worries me.

Hiker

[ New ]

That's a good point that the one main difference between the 8 and the 9, other than the bigger camera sensor, is the addition of the front display. Could this be what's causing the GPS acccuracy issue? If it can be turned off would it make a difference? I'm not a V-logger so I wouldn't use it. Sadly, this looks like this is something that wasn't checked or addressed during the design phase of the product. I agree that the Hero 8 locks in very quickly.  I've been waiting patiently to see if GoPro has a tentative solution. The fact there's no info from GoPro tells me that they're confused.  My decision day is October 15th, at which point I will need to send everything back to be under their 30-day guarantee. That's too bad as I'm really impressed with the video capability. If I'm willing to wear my Garmin watch everytime I use the camera, I can use third party software to marry the data from the Garmin with the Gopro video. Just additional workflow that I wasn't counting on.

Hiker

[ New ]

En france on dit

C'est foutu

Consolez-vous en pensant que le reste est a la hauteur

In France we say
It's bleep**ed up
Console yourself by thinking that the rest is the height

Bon week-end a vous

Hiker

[ New ]

Same thing for me as well.
GoPro 9 losses GPS signal, mounted on roof or side with suction cup. Althought there is signal when the video clip starts, but after short period of time it is lost.
If the camera is mounted inside the car that is with panoramic roof, or in front, the camera looses signl almost imidiatly after I start the recording.
If needed I can provide the video clips and telemtry data.

GoPro

[ New ]

@djovani @buckaroo60 @abdelb72 @irishmanpdx @im35461

Sorry about the trouble you are experiencing with the GPS. The Team is investigating on those GPS issues reported by the user community. We will keep you posted.

Nomad

[ New ]

I can only say that the GPS works as expected on my Hero 9. However, the reception seems to be very sensitive and it sometimes takes an extremely long time to receive a signal.
Here is a video in which I display the GPS data from the Hero 9 and the parllel from Torque - both are not error-free but somewhat agree. - except for the altitude data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxFgRwLYt8

Look at also: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/No-GPS-data-%C3%AEn-Quick/m-p/784053

Vielfach wird berichtet das die Hero 9 mit der derzeit aktuellen Firmware 1.21 kein oder ein fehlerhaftes GPS Signal aufzeichnet.Das betrifft offenbar nicht ...
Nomad

[ New ]
I have recently seen more good reports on the GPS data. This is looking more and more like a hardware problem of the earlier units
Hiker

[ New ]

I agree Juan. I sent everything back for a full refund. The last thing I wanted was to buy something and immediately have to send it back for repair and not see it for months. I'm going to stick with my Hero 8 for a while until the air clears. Honestly, the 9 wasn't a huge technological leep from the Hero 8. Low light sensitivity was defintiely better on the Hero 8 when compared side by side.

Hiker

[ New ]

Nice example. What doesn't make sense to me is given how advanced the Hero line of camera's are, why does my cheap, little Garmin running watch run circles around the Hero with regards to capturing the correct GPS coordinates?

GoPro

[ New ]

@buckaroo60 @djovani @abdelb72 

For users experiencing HERO9 GPS, the team is working hard on a fix,  improvements will be done app side and investigations are on-going firmware side. I do not have a date/timeframe but know that the team is on it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the info haindash
This makes at least one that communicates at Gopro

Hiker

[ New ]

I tested the GPS, all features work as long as the camera is on and start recording after the GPS signal has locked in.

The issue is the quick capture mode.. it never locks the signal and no GPS data at all.. This is definitely a software issue. can not wait for the fix.. keeping the power on means i need 3-4 batteries each trip :(

Thanks for your help Haindash.

@haindash wrote:

@buckaroo60 @djovani @abdelb72 

For users experiencing HERO9 GPS, the team is working hard on a fix,  improvements will be done app side and investigations are on-going firmware side. I do not have a date/timeframe but know that the team is on it.