Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 9 Smart Remote

[ New ]

It uses Bluetooth? I didn't think the range was up to 600' using that platform.... And I thought it was backwards compatible (i'm a mechanical engineer, not an IT professional, so bear with me here). 

Hiker

[ New ]

The Smart Remote uses WiFi, it has no Bluetooth chip, it creates an AP and cameras connect to it (inverse of GoPro App).

GoPro to App is now done via Bluetooth for control and for status retrieval. WiFi is used for preview and media offload. Now, I could be wrong and GoPro releases a RC that uses WiFi to connect with the Hero9, that's a possibility, but given how the old cameras have Bluetooth capabilities for receiving commands, and the Hero9 now does everything over BTLE on the app even when it's connected via WiFi leads me to believe they're migrating to a BLE first control system.

Sightseer

[ New ]

For kayak and surf remote control is necessary, please launch a remote control soon

Tourist

[ New ]
Wow, I have an older remote and was about to purchase the newer version of the remote to use with my new 9. It is listed as an accessory on the gopro site but it does not state *incompatible with gopro 9 currently*. I would think that this would be clearly noted.
Sightseer

[ New ]

ugh. I NEED a remote... This camera is dope, but now mostly gonna collect dust until a remote is made available. Please fix this soon, and let us know when we can get this new remote. It would be dope if you offered some sort of trade in, since the old tech remotes are no good on new models. I dont want this sweet camera to be just a paper weight for too long.

Tourist

[ New ]

To say I'm pi**ed off would be an understatement. I just baught the new Hero 9 and the Smart Remote, and after trying for hours to pair it I find out that it's not compatable with the NEW camera. What kind of sh*t is this, why would you sell the Hero 9 and a SMART remote if they are not compatable. Put that in big bold letters or something. Very, Very, Very disappointed. I HATE returning stuff, I'll end up giving it to my friend who has a Hero 7.

Tourist

[ New ]

There is no other way to sync video on multiple cameras. Smart remote was the only way! Is there a plan for that? 

Moving that feature to phones as wifi hotspot for cameras wont be a good idea.

If smart remote operates only on 2,4GHz than You can always show info to switch frequency from 5GHz to 2,4GHz to enable smart remote pairing. What are other "technical" obsticles that smart remote cant be in use with Hero9?

Hiker

[ New ]

Welcome to the not really exclusive, not entirely enjoyable Club..  maybe if we all cross our fingers at the same time our Wish will come true.....  Just don't hold your breath 🤬