Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 9 Smart Remote

[ New ]

J'ai reçu ma Hero 9 hier  avant la mise a jour dans le menu connexion il y avait possibilité de connecter l'APP et la Smart Remote  apres la mise a jour il n' ya plus que la connexion a Apllication Gopro  et plus via Smart Remote ?  c'est un Bug ou un oublie ?  j'espere qu'une mise a jour est prévue. car j'utilise mes Gopro sur une moto et impossible de démarer par la voix ou par bouton. 

119679941_10225327110149091_8727226955946145985_o.jpg
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 Smart Remote

[ New ]

Una opción: has probado goprolabs? Alli hay algunas opciones para configurarle que grabe cuando alcance cierta velocidad

Tourist

[ New ]
Hallo
Ja, dass habe ich auch schon probiert. Jedoch gibt es auch dort keine Auswahlmöglichkeit in den Einstellungen
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @stoutbeach1072. The Smart Remote isn't compatible with the HERO9 Black. We have a remote in the works. However, we do not have an ETA on when it will be available. Updates regarding this will be posted on the website as soon as it is available. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Nomad

[ New ]

This is extremely disappointing to here.. 

I was not aware of this limitation with the 9. 

I do most of my shooting using the remote. 

Surely it is not that hard to make the 9 compatible with the existing smart remote ? 

Rather than forcing long time customers into buying an updated model.. 

Had I of know this I probably wouldn't have ordered the 9 as I did a few hours ago..

Not happy.. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This is also extremely disappointing to me, when the hero 9 was released I immediately put my session 4 and my DJI OSMO Action on eBay for sale and they both sold quickly and I Ordered a hero 9 which should arrive Tuesday...   the reason I sold the OSMO Action was because they have no wireless remote available and no plans for one...  I assumed that since the smart remote had worked for most of the previous GoPro Hero's that of course it would work for the newest offering....   Dang II certainly hope this is not like the replaceable lens cover that they left off of the hero 8...  I won't wait a Year for the hero 10 to get that capability back

Tourist

[ New ]
I am looking forward to this new remote!!!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a gopro 8 and was going to upgrade to version 9, but I use that smart-remote all the time! I’ll hold off on my purchase to see what GP will do...

Hiker

[ New ]

I use smart remote a lot and it is weird that Gopro 9 kill off the old smart remote. If that's the case, will stay on with hero 8

Hiker

[ New ]

If it is true that the control of my Hero 7 is not valid for the Hero 9 I will keep my old camera ... It is a bad decision on the part of Gopro.

Hiker

[ New ]
Well that sucks :-/

Hurry up and release the new remote. My GoPro is mounted on the front of my kayak and I use the remote all the time!
Tourist

[ New ]

Is there any info about incompatibility? Wasnt aware of that, buying hero9!

I hope Youll change your mind 

Hiker

[ New ]

100% agree. I do not understand why the remote should not be compatible anymore. And then there is not even a replacement available?Totally frustrating.

Tourist

[ New ]
From what I have seen GoPro updated the Bluetooth module in the GP9. The old remote might not be up to those specks. Also there GP was found to infringe on a patent regarding their remote hence the upcoming change. I am looking forward to the change. The remote needed an update anyway.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Inadmissible!! Je compte bien me faire rembourser! Arnaque totale!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have a remote in the works. We do not have an ETA on when it will be available.

No previous remotes work with the HERO9 Black.

You can use the GoPro app if you need to control the camera remotely.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Es ist schön zu hören, dass sich eine neue smart remote in Arbeit befindet. Noch schöner wäre es, wenn man die alten benutzen kann. Ein solches Verhalten zerstört, dass lange aufgebaute Vertrauen der Kunden. Da die Konkurrenz nicht schläft und gerade mit der letzten Actioncam gezeigt hat was sie können denke ich, dass gopro bald nicht mehr den Markt anführen wird.
Tourist

[ New ]

VERY disapointing. I use my GoPro cameras while kitesurfing, either in the kite lines or a strut mount. Voice control doesn't work with all the water and wind noise. Please get that new remote done ASAP.

Hiker

[ New ]
Exactly, I believe the new leader in the action cam I’ll be the company that responds to the desires of the users
Tourist

[ New ]

Really bad form to not make this known upfront...(not compatible with the HERO9).  Yet another accessory to have to "upgrade" is really expensive and makes for a horrible customer experience when itʻs not publicized AND there is no immediate replacement available.  What Iʻm really afraid of is that Iʻll have to wear two remotes -one for my HERO7 and HERO8 and then a second one for my HERO9 instead of the great ability now to control multiple HERO models with one remote.  Sigh...  I hope some Chinese ʻknock-off" company comes in with a solution...  BTW, to suggest to use oneʻs IOS Phone to remotely control the camera is horribly insensitive for an ʻAction Cameraʻ company.  I wonʻt be trying to strap my iPhone to my wrist while Iʻm catching waves or paddling across open ocean channels.

Nomad

[ New ]

Boy oh boy! I sure hope the new remote comes soon. I had no idea that my existing remote would NOT work with the hero 9. There's no way for me to use my phone app to control 3 hero 9 cameras while in a kayak. I NEED a REMOTE. PLEASE release it soon. Don't make us wait until next year!! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Looking for Battery run time I updated from the 7 to the hero9.  OUCH no remote, no mention in any advertising and it's not like I can step out of the helicopter to turn it on and off.  So I now have a tool that's useless, anyone with an aircraft using GoPro needs all their concentration on flying first so simple start stop is the only way to use these safely.  So no go, go pro 9.

Hiker

[ New ]
To the OP... Hey brother, just use voice commands or the GoPro app on your cell mounted to bars. Voice commands work flawlessly on the bike and are all you need really. I've been doing it this way for almost 4 years.
Tourist

[ New ]
On a motorbike on the road at 130 km / hour it is not easy the Gopro voice option
Sightseer

[ New ]
Bien d’accord!!
Nomad

[ New ]

Voice commands do not work on a windy lake with 3 cameras. Remote is my only option.

@brewcityrider wrote:
To the OP... Hey brother, just use voice commands or the GoPro app on your cell mounted to bars. Voice commands work flawlessly on the bike and are all you need really. I've been doing it this way for almost 4 years.

Hiker

[ New ]

@tj311 wrote:

Voice commands do not work on a windy lake with 3 cameras. Remote is my only option.

@brewcityrider wrote:

I was adressing the OP's post...he's a biker like myself and we use external microphones.  Your situation may differ. Thanks. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@sweetstorm6088 wrote:
On a motorbike on the road at 130 km / hour it is not easy the Gopro voice option

Yes, at that speed it may be a challenge. Most bikers don't motovlog at such a speed though.  Good luck and ride safe.

Tourist

[ New ]

I purchased the remote just a couple weeks ago (I've had the GP 8 for a month- new customer so didn't realize they typically come out with a new model every Fall). Anyway, if there was a patent infringment, they would likely be ordered to stop selling the existing one. The bluetooth update is likely, but bluetooth updates are reverse-compatible in all the cases I'm aware of. Also, is it really bluetooh tech? The fact that this remote has a 600' range tells me that it's not bluetooth since the range for BT4 is only 200' with optimal conditions and BT5 is 800' (which I doubt the old remote has)..... just my thoughts.... 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the info! 

Tourist

[ New ]

On a motorcyle at highway speeds? I'll have to try it. I run and it works most of the time but I have to speak loudly.... 

Tourist

[ New ]
Great info on bluetooth specs... However the glaring issue is lack of communication/clarity, especially regarding a break from the norm, where the smart remote has supported the last few HEROs (so new version has not come out every Fall as the new HEROs have) and multiple model support and control is a main selling feature for an action cameraʻn. When the HERO9 came out, the different size was obvious that HERO8 non-compatibility required new housings and mods were released. Not so with no mention of smart remote incompatibility... GoPRo does not have a good track record regarding availabilty and only unofficiailly putting it out there that a new remote (with undefined capabilities and undefined timeline) is another black mark on the GoPro brand. Tell your loyal customers whats happening and how/when something will or will not be done. Thats all we ask at thus point so we can plan/act accordingly.
Hiker

[ New ]
Ditto , Also They even reference using the Smart remote in the Manual ... Unacceptable.... Once again the action camera Company that learns to respond to the User Base and work with them will prevail ... Just wonder which one that will be , or do any of these tech Leaders even care..
Nomad

[ New ]

@brewcityrider wrote:

@tj311 wrote:

@brewcityrider wrote:

I was adressing the OP's post...he's a biker like myself and we use external microphones.  Your situation may differ. Thanks. 

ahhh. Ok. I was wondering how that would work. I use 3 cameras on a kayak, simultaneously, front, middle, rear. No way I can make one command to start all 3 cameras at the same time. Sure hope gopro releases the new remote soon.

Tourist

[ New ]

I use my gopro with the smart remote all the time is what i really like about it just got my GoPro9 9 few days ago and just find out that wont work Really  this  Really sucks   Im thinking in RETURNING  !!!

Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah. This sucks. I just got my rig all set-up on my bike just to find out that the remote doesn't work.

COME ON MAN!!!
Hiker

[ New ]
This was an issue I experienced with the DJI OSMO Action and the standard suggestion from other users was to use Voice control which on the OA is just a little more than party trick... I sold the action to get the hero 9 because I needed the front screen that GoPro now has and I wanted the smart remote that the Hero has had for Years.... suggestions of “Work Arounds” are not what I want or need ... I’m the Customer and I will go with the Product that gives me what I want or I continue to look for one that does what I want.
Tourist

[ New ]

The fact that out of the box, the 9 seemed to support remote use, but that the function was removed with the current firmware is a pretty clear sign that some marketing --bleep-- has decided this is a great way to milk more money from the consumer.  Assuming the 'new remote' shows up in any useful time and folks that rely on that function don't go elsewhere before then.

Being able to start/stop multiple cameras isn't something thatcan be replicated with a phone app, by voice (wind noise and some cameras not able to hear voice due to mounting location/orientation), nor by hand (you try starting 3 cameras at the same time when one is on a chesty, one on the back of a saddle, and another on the frontof a bike, while riding...)

I'd love to see a more modern remote (especially one that can easily have the battery swapped out since I don't have time in the field to plug the remote in to recharge the internal battery when it runs out.)  But support and function of the existing remote being pulled before something new is even available is completely unacceptable.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm a new GoPro customer (previously using Sony action cams) and really need the remote too.

After I ordered my Hero 9, I downloaded the manual to make sure the remote would work - which it claimed to.

I also went on the GoPro store and chose accessories for the Hero 9 - one of which was the smart remote.  

I had full intention of ordering it - but the battery charger I wanted was out of stock, so I waited so that I could get free shipping by ordering both together.  Glad I waited, since they seem to have removed all compatibility... and it's no longer listed as a Hero 9 accessory!

Really annoying, as I wear my camera on a chest mount 90% of the time, so am unable to see either screen.  The smart remote would have been the perfect solution.

Hopefully they come up with something else soon...

Hiker

[ New ]

Just to gets some facts out there, they likely did not decide to get rid of Smart Remote compatibility just to get users to buy a new RC. The Hero9's WiFi API, the software that allows controlling, media offload and previewing, does not seem to support some commands (eg: stop recording). I've been expecting this since they started using Bluetooth LE in the Hero5, but it took 4 camera generations. The Smart Remote uses WiFi to interface with multiple cameras (https://fccid.io/CNFRMMW2) and it does not have a BLE antenna. Thus not being able to send commands to the Hero9. This deprecation has broader implications (in my case, my Pebble app is no longer compatible, neither is my Python API). Fortunately, Hero5 and newer cameras have Bluetooth and can receive commands via Bluetooth as well so GoPro's new remote in theory could be backwards compatible. Just my 2 cents.

Tourist

[ New ]

It uses Bluetooth? I didn't think the range was up to 600' using that platform.... And I thought it was backwards compatible (i'm a mechanical engineer, not an IT professional, so bear with me here). 

Hiker

[ New ]

The Smart Remote uses WiFi, it has no Bluetooth chip, it creates an AP and cameras connect to it (inverse of GoPro App).

GoPro to App is now done via Bluetooth for control and for status retrieval. WiFi is used for preview and media offload. Now, I could be wrong and GoPro releases a RC that uses WiFi to connect with the Hero9, that's a possibility, but given how the old cameras have Bluetooth capabilities for receiving commands, and the Hero9 now does everything over BTLE on the app even when it's connected via WiFi leads me to believe they're migrating to a BLE first control system.

Sightseer

[ New ]

For kayak and surf remote control is necessary, please launch a remote control soon

Tourist

[ New ]
Wow, I have an older remote and was about to purchase the newer version of the remote to use with my new 9. It is listed as an accessory on the gopro site but it does not state *incompatible with gopro 9 currently*. I would think that this would be clearly noted.
Sightseer

[ New ]

ugh. I NEED a remote... This camera is dope, but now mostly gonna collect dust until a remote is made available. Please fix this soon, and let us know when we can get this new remote. It would be dope if you offered some sort of trade in, since the old tech remotes are no good on new models. I dont want this sweet camera to be just a paper weight for too long.

Tourist

[ New ]

To say I'm pi**ed off would be an understatement. I just baught the new Hero 9 and the Smart Remote, and after trying for hours to pair it I find out that it's not compatable with the NEW camera. What kind of sh*t is this, why would you sell the Hero 9 and a SMART remote if they are not compatable. Put that in big bold letters or something. Very, Very, Very disappointed. I HATE returning stuff, I'll end up giving it to my friend who has a Hero 7.

Tourist

[ New ]

There is no other way to sync video on multiple cameras. Smart remote was the only way! Is there a plan for that? 

Moving that feature to phones as wifi hotspot for cameras wont be a good idea.

If smart remote operates only on 2,4GHz than You can always show info to switch frequency from 5GHz to 2,4GHz to enable smart remote pairing. What are other "technical" obsticles that smart remote cant be in use with Hero9?

Hiker

[ New ]

Welcome to the not really exclusive, not entirely enjoyable Club..  maybe if we all cross our fingers at the same time our Wish will come true.....  Just don't hold your breath 🤬

Nomad

[ New ]

so glad to see an abundance of unhappy remote users. the option of using the app is unacceptable and only good for "ONE" camera. its like a rewind back to a HERO 2 with new fruits which are great. The company needs to get their S*&t together and if you don't have a replacement to sell at launch either don't launch your buggy product till its fit for purpose or get legacy products to work.

Tourist

[ New ]

With all the unhappy Hero9 owners not able to use remote capabilities, wouldn't it be time for a response from GoPro to let us all know they hear our problem and have a solution??  I for one need to know if I should look for other options as I like to shoot Fall Colors but have a limited time to do so.  Does GoPro have a reply to these issues and do they care??