Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 9 Smart Remote

[ New ]
Wow, so now I need different remotes as well as batteries (which I actually understand). X2 of everything, gonna need a bigger bag.
Hiker

[ New ]
Mais que fais Gopro pour mettre autant de temps pour sortir cette télécommande.... Bordel. J'ai besoin de cette Remote !!!!
Sightseer

[ New ]

on est certainement des milliers de clients à avoir besoin de cette remote : le mieux serait qu'ils fassent une mise à jour des Gopro 9 pour pouvoir reconnaitre les remote habituelles, mais ça doit être trop compliqué pour eux et surtout pas assez rentable.. autant en faire une neuve à 100 euros ! 

Tourist

[ New ]
I just received the smart remote to connect to my Hero 9 and now it does not work? How is this possible!!!!
Sightseer

[ New ]

The smart remote doesn't work with the gopro 9

Tourist

[ New ]
Welcome to the p*ssed off club
Tourist

[ New ]
Nope - nice of them to tell you...now you are like all of us, you have a new hero 9 and a useless remote. Oh and they don't sell one that works with the hero 9
Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, unbelievable! I did research before buying it, checked several comparisons, checked if there was a new remote and then I decided to buy it! Just got it and when trying to connect the option is not even there.... my goal was to be able to connect all my cameras with one device... disappointed! Really bad from GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

Since there have always been problems with the Smart Remote, especially on the motorcycle, I am very happy that there will hopefully be a better remote.

I also don't remember it saying anywhere that the Smart Remeote is compatible with the Hero 9.

It would only be nice if the new remote control was finally available!

Tourist

[ New ]
I guess many (myself included) thought the remote would just work as it has done in the past. The H9 isn’t much different to the 7/8 just a spec boost. The remote is a key part of most users set up. I’m shocked GoPro missed mentioning this little fact.
Hiker

[ New ]

These are simply wrong assumptions you have made and just because something looks similar, it is not the same.

The H9 is different and can't be compared to the old generations.

I really haven't been a friend of GoPro so far, after all the trouble with my H7, but, and I repeat myself, GoPro finally seems to take a different approach with the H9, even with the remote control.

It was more than overdue!

Nomad

[ New ]
You do realise the smart remote worked with the 9 before the firmware upgrades right?

Also, it says in the manual it works with the smart remote, not smart remote V2 or whatever it will be called.

How is the 9 any different to past cameras?

Was GoPros different approach to mess up a new product launch even more than usual ? Screw loyal customers over more so than usual ?

Please inform me and the thousands of others who are so misinformed.

Also , speaking of wrong assumptions; just because you had issues with the existing smart remote, doesn't mean everyone else did..
Hiker

[ New ]
Well technically I believe the Hero 9 Supported the the smart remote prior to the first firmware update, not sure if it worked... but it did say it worked in the manual
Hiker

[ New ]

I can't say what went or didn't go in an Alpha or Beta firmware. My H9, which I have had for a few weeks now, couldn't do that and not with the firmware before 1.22.

Also other remote controls like Gopro Remote for Samsung Watch do not work with the H9 anymore.

Especially the motorcycle forums are full of non-functional Smart Remote

Hiker

[ New ]
Well without support for a smart remote I have an expensive dash cam mounted on the windshield of my suv ..
Tourist

[ New ]

You can check the Manual where it states that it can connect to a Remote.

E91B1D00-7B9E-47F5-83C6-1538F30B2D8D.png
Sightseer

[ New ]
The worse is that they delete all the bad reviews. I tried twice. And my review is immediately deleted. Only 5 or 4 star reviews... Gopro is becoming a scam!!!!
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes well clever wordplay in there.  it says it can connect to "The Remote", which would be the so called "The Remote" (coming soon) as mentioned on the GoPro sales page (which would be a newly designed remote).  It doesn't say it can connect to "the smart remote".  My guess is they won't roll out "The Remote" until enough GoPro units sell to gaurantee sales, or they'll do what they did with the display mod and launch it last minute just so they can release it and not have any legal challanges.

Tourist

[ New ]
I work for a electronics retailer. We got training on accessories comparable with the Hero 9. It is called “The Remote” and is compatible with the Hero 8 and 9. No word on release dater picture of it though. So it is coming!
Hiker

[ New ]

@mprera"The Remote" and "the Smart Remote" are not the same thing so I think this is clearly not talking about the Smart Remote we all own.  But if you look at page 125 of the user manual they DO mention the Smart Remote.  My guess is this was a copy/paste error or something.  Still very misleading though!

SmartRemote-H9B.JPG

Nomad

[ New ]

ATT: Gopro please read the following from the Australian competition and consumer commision -  

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/advertising-promotions/false-or-misleading-claims 

Creating a false or misleading impression

Businesses are not allowed to make statements that are incorrect or likely to create a false impression.

This rule applies to their advertising, their product packaging, and any information provided to you by their staff or online shopping services. It also applies to any statements made by businesses in the media or online, such as testimonials on their websites or social media pages.

For example, businesses cannot make false claims about:

• the quality, style, model or history of a product or service
  • whether the goods are new
  • the sponsorship, performance characteristics, accessories, benefits or use of products and services
  • the availability of repair facilities or spare parts
  • the need for the goods or services
  • any exclusions on the goods and services.

It makes no difference whether the business intended to mislead you or not. If the overall impression left by a business’s advertisement, promotion, quotation, statement or other representation creates a misleading impression in your mind—such as to the price, value or the quality of any goods and services—then the behaviour is likely to breach the law.

There is one exception to this rule. Sometimes businesses may use wildly exaggerated or vague claims about a product or service that no one could possibly treat seriously or find misleading. For example, a restaurant claims they have the ‘best steaks on earth’. These types of claims are known as ‘puffery’ and are not considered misleading.

Hiker

[ New ]

@bluetree3732  You do realize you obviously never tried it before the firmware update right?  Well I did!  Right when I got my H9B before any firmware update.  It's true there was an option for the Smart Remote in the Connections menu, but when you clicked on it, no it did not work!  It did absolutely nothing more than tell you to get a firmware update in order to be able to use it.

That's when **bleep** hit the fan!  After the update the option for the Smart Remote completely disappeared!  Man Mad

So no it never worked, not even with the 1.00 firmware, but I do agree this was extremely misleading!

Nomad

[ New ]

i'd like to point out the point 

• any exclusions on the goods and services.

Tourist

[ New ]

It is very clear on page 125! 

Hiker

[ New ]
I've watched tons of GoPro Hero 9 review videos talking about almost everything and any comparison they can make. None of these veteran GoPro users ever mentioned anything about the remote. How come nobody mentioned that a remote is not available yet.

It's likely they were all told not to talk about it if they were to review the camera.
Or it used to work until they released the camera...
Hiker

[ New ]

I was also very surprised about that. Only found one in dozens of well-known reviews where this was mentioned. I wrote it in the comments for two.

Nomad

[ New ]

i'd like to know which review mentioned the remote as none i've seen have.

Tourist

[ New ]

After a long time in doubt, finally bought a Smart Remote earlier this year. Very disappointed to find out, after bying HERO 9, it's not compatible. This (together with all the other issues) makes me want to grab my HERO 7 before the HERO 9 on adventure which is quite rediculous. I will NOT be investing another 80 euros money in a new Smart Remote.

Tourist

[ New ]

The same happened to my, I just bought it from their website only to find out it did not work with my Hero9!

Hiker

[ New ]
And Welcome to our not very Exclusive club 😎👍
Hiker

[ New ]
Ich habe die neue GoPro Hero 9 getestet und auch mit der Hero 8 verglichen. In diesem Video werfen wir einen genauen Blick darauf und klären was sie kann und...
Tourist

[ New ]
GP Just needs to get the new remote out ASAP. I have two H9s that I can't control at the same time. Very frustrating.
Hiker

[ New ]

can this not be fixed in a frimware update? I Mean its a bluetooth connection nothing more right ?!

Tourist

[ New ]
If they wanted to, I'm told that the smart remote is actually recognized the first time you fire up your new Hero 9 and then it forces you to update and it's gone. The whole thing is just B.S.
Tourist

[ New ]

No, they need to update the firmware and activate the Smart Remote

Backpacker

[ New ]

So interesting, talked to someone who just got a brand new camera and yes, without updating the firmware it does give the option to connect to the smart remote.  However the connection did not work at all and the smart remote could not be used to work with the camera.  So it wasn't a case of the option being removed to increase sales of a non existant new remote, the smart remote simply didn't work.

It's most likely they ported over most of the Firmware from the Hero 8 to the Hero 9 and this is why it was showing up as an option to begin with.  It would also explain why there was so many issues with the camera's release as there were some hardware changes that caused conflicts in the camera.  Hence the reason for the October and November firmware updates so close to release.

It's likely GoPro are awaiting on sales figures for the Hero 9 to hit  before they commit to any large scale production orders for a new remote (which is rumored to only be Hero 8 and 9 compatible).  

Nomad

[ New ]

Thats extremely poor form and has knee capped the release.

who in their right mind would by any more than one of these if there is no way to sync them.

i'd also like to know how many people if any tested this camera before release as there are some shocking fundamental issues with it from the start, core features not working...... "I will never buy a new release product from gopro ever again" - not even "the" remote if and when it materializes. One would assume the issues with that won't be fixed for 12 months after launch at this rate

Hiker

[ New ]
Oh have a little Faith , they will be coming out with the remote.. and it won’t be called “The Remote “.

It will be the Hero 10 Remote... 😞
Nomad

[ New ]

i have lost all faith in this company, the issues are so bad, far spread with misinformation everywhere it should have a global recall. this is what i'd expect from a Chingwah clone

i'm so glad they don't make safety gear

Nomad

[ New ]

OMG Guys - i just found a hack to make the WiFi/Smart remote to work with the HERO 9 - not compatible my arse!!!!!!! Gopro please fix it

OK what i did was:

1. turn on the camera and open up the gopro app
  2. put your remote into pairing mode
  3. in your app go to setup auto upload
    1. look for your wifi remote
    2. and connect to it
  4. Turn off your phones WiFi so its no longer connected to the camera
  5. it worked for a few minutes till the camera locked up

keen to hear what you guys find!

Nomad

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
Very nice ! Can you make a video with all the steps ?
I tried your tutorial and failed :(
Nomad

[ New ]

a video would not show anything more than the steps listed. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Nice! Be aware that the HERO9 does not respond to commands when it's recording/taking a timelapse.... Which is why you cannot stop recording.

Nomad

[ New ]

thats totally fine, just state the limitations and keep the customers happy. heck i'd be ok if they said you can't use 5k or horizon leveling with the remote

Sightseer

[ New ]

Is there going to be a different remote that will be made for the gopro9 ?  I've just purchased the remote and it would be disappointing if it doesn't work and I have to purchase another remote.  

Hiker

[ New ]
The word we’ve seen in this Forum is that they are working on a New Remote ... read into that what You will, Sadly
Sightseer

[ New ]

Vraiment je suis déçu de voir voir que la remote ne soit pas compatible.  Remote reçu aujourd'hui en plus.  Sortir une GP sans une remote je trouve ça limite .. c est comme vendre une voiture sans les clés.  En fonction des besoins la remote est indispensable. 
Je pense revendre la GP9 car la ont parle boulot et argent du coup elle va devenir inutile. 
Vous communiquez pas sur la non compatibilité de votre smart Remote ou en tous  petit.  De votre part je suis surpris  GOPro quoi!! 

image.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
You are most certainly one of a Growing group of us that feel that GoPro is not listening to the Users
Backpacker

[ New ]

Quick lesson in business.

1:  Design camera.

2:  Design new remote especially if the original remote hasn't been updated in over 5 years, has multiple complaints about them since the release date (dropping connection, dropping connection with multiple camera's, no backlight etc.)

3:  Build new camera.

4:  Sell new camera.

5:  See how many camera's sell.

6:  Balance the number of units sold against the cost of building remote and how many remotes are likely to be sold.

7:  Decide if new remote will be profitable. 

This simply explains the wait on a new remote.  You don't build something without knowing whether or not it's going to sell and whether or not it's going to make a profit.

As stated, the original remote is over 5 years old, it uses old technology and wasn't reliable.  It's about time a new hit the market that hopefully offers better camera control, a more stabil connection and franky a backlight!!!