Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 Smart Remote

[ New ]
Ditto , Also They even reference using the Smart remote in the Manual ... Unacceptable.... Once again the action camera Company that learns to respond to the User Base and work with them will prevail ... Just wonder which one that will be , or do any of these tech Leaders even care..
Nomad

[ New ]

@brewcityrider wrote:

@tj311 wrote:

Voice commands do not work on a windy lake with 3 cameras. Remote is my only option.

@brewcityrider wrote:
To the OP... Hey brother, just use voice commands or the GoPro app on your cell mounted to bars. Voice commands work flawlessly on the bike and are all you need really. I've been doing it this way for almost 4 years.

I was adressing the OP's post...he's a biker like myself and we use external microphones.  Your situation may differ. Thanks. 

ahhh. Ok. I was wondering how that would work. I use 3 cameras on a kayak, simultaneously, front, middle, rear. No way I can make one command to start all 3 cameras at the same time. Sure hope gopro releases the new remote soon.

Tourist

[ New ]

I use my gopro with the smart remote all the time is what i really like about it just got my GoPro9 9 few days ago and just find out that wont work Really  this  Really sucks   Im thinking in RETURNING  !!!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah. This sucks. I just got my rig all set-up on my bike just to find out that the remote doesn't work.

COME ON MAN!!!
Hiker

[ New ]
This was an issue I experienced with the DJI OSMO Action and the standard suggestion from other users was to use Voice control which on the OA is just a little more than party trick... I sold the action to get the hero 9 because I needed the front screen that GoPro now has and I wanted the smart remote that the Hero has had for Years.... suggestions of “Work Arounds” are not what I want or need ... I’m the Customer and I will go with the Product that gives me what I want or I continue to look for one that does what I want.
Tourist

[ New ]

The fact that out of the box, the 9 seemed to support remote use, but that the function was removed with the current firmware is a pretty clear sign that some marketing --bleep-- has decided this is a great way to milk more money from the consumer.  Assuming the 'new remote' shows up in any useful time and folks that rely on that function don't go elsewhere before then.

Being able to start/stop multiple cameras isn't something thatcan be replicated with a phone app, by voice (wind noise and some cameras not able to hear voice due to mounting location/orientation), nor by hand (you try starting 3 cameras at the same time when one is on a chesty, one on the back of a saddle, and another on the frontof a bike, while riding...)

I'd love to see a more modern remote (especially one that can easily have the battery swapped out since I don't have time in the field to plug the remote in to recharge the internal battery when it runs out.)  But support and function of the existing remote being pulled before something new is even available is completely unacceptable.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm a new GoPro customer (previously using Sony action cams) and really need the remote too.

After I ordered my Hero 9, I downloaded the manual to make sure the remote would work - which it claimed to.

I also went on the GoPro store and chose accessories for the Hero 9 - one of which was the smart remote.  

I had full intention of ordering it - but the battery charger I wanted was out of stock, so I waited so that I could get free shipping by ordering both together.  Glad I waited, since they seem to have removed all compatibility... and it's no longer listed as a Hero 9 accessory!

Really annoying, as I wear my camera on a chest mount 90% of the time, so am unable to see either screen.  The smart remote would have been the perfect solution.

Hopefully they come up with something else soon...

Hiker

[ New ]

Just to gets some facts out there, they likely did not decide to get rid of Smart Remote compatibility just to get users to buy a new RC. The Hero9's WiFi API, the software that allows controlling, media offload and previewing, does not seem to support some commands (eg: stop recording). I've been expecting this since they started using Bluetooth LE in the Hero5, but it took 4 camera generations. The Smart Remote uses WiFi to interface with multiple cameras (https://fccid.io/CNFRMMW2) and it does not have a BLE antenna. Thus not being able to send commands to the Hero9. This deprecation has broader implications (in my case, my Pebble app is no longer compatible, neither is my Python API). Fortunately, Hero5 and newer cameras have Bluetooth and can receive commands via Bluetooth as well so GoPro's new remote in theory could be backwards compatible. Just my 2 cents.