Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Gopro Hero 9 / Horizon Leveling

[ New ]

I have a new GPH9. I have selected the lens Linear+Horizon leveling. However no videos come out of the camera with a level Horizon. Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Sightseer

Re: Gopro Hero 9 / Horizon Leveling

[ New ]
I have upgraded to new firmware and the latest edition of the app. I found out that horizon leveling only works to about 40%. There was no clear information on horizon leveling so I assumed it worked like my GoPro Max. Support told me it will work in the future to 100% horizon leveling with the lens mod. Without the lens mod it only can achieve 40% horizon leveling.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

It may be that when you go to edit the video in the GoPro app, the horizon leveling is applied to the video

Hiker

[ New ]

upgrade to new firmware?

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have upgraded to new firmware and the latest edition of the app. I found out that horizon leveling only works to about 40%. There was no clear information on horizon leveling so I assumed it worked like my GoPro Max. Support told me it will work in the future to 100% horizon leveling with the lens mod. Without the lens mod it only can achieve 40% horizon leveling.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

For reference, you may also check https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO9-Black-In-Camera-Horizon-Leveling/ta-p/711722

Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm having a problem stabilizing the horizon line (it stays diagonal) when using horizontal levelin. Must swtich off for a good result anyone can help?

Thanks

Nomad

[ New ]
Make sure to have orientation said to unlock. I had mine set the lock and noticed that once the horizon tilted it never reposition to level.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, thank you. Probably it was it... I unlocked the screen, now I mus try it ;-)

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

why don't my gopro hero 9 have Linear+Horizon leveling? I hvae only 4 views(super view,wide,linear,narrow). How can i get Linear+Horizon leveling. please advise me

Nomad

[ New ]

Which firmware? Do a manual update to 1.21.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @adroitshor20805. Please make sure that you have the latest firmware installed. For further details, see HERO9 Black - Video Settings and Resolutions.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, Thz you. I already updated. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@adroitshor20805, do you also have the HyperSmooth enabled? If you continue to experience a problem enabling/locating this setting, could you please share with us a recording or photo showing the issue?

Nomad

[ New ]
Worth looking in the manual, as it states....
Heads Up: Your footage will tilt if your camera
rotates beyond 28°-45° (depending on chosen
settings) while recording.
Narrow
(27mm)
Narrow field of view without the fisheye effect
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello again, once more my problem with horizon level persists..specially when filming horizon with ocean, don't know why. Even with the orientation not locked the footage results in diagonal. Quite frankly I am despointed with this new 9 model... lots of issues:

1 - Horizon level diagonal problem (it's easier to use the camera without it connected)
2 - shaky blurry (found out on this support forum that this occurs with low ligh conditions)
3 - No remote control support (I use Go Pro 90% for recording my motorbike trips, I really need the remote)
4 - When taking photos the image result in a strange satured crispness...not natural, kind of having always a Instagram filter always on
5 - Even without entering water with the camera I had a strange fog/condesation appearing on the front screen when using it on a very cold damp day, Fortunately dissaperead. 

In conclusion..on my last motrocycle trip I used much more my reliable 7Black than this new 9 Black, witch brings mw to a question...for what purpose do I have this new model? To spend my time here on the support forums twiking and expecting some new miraculous software?

Go Pro,  come on, you can do better than this, specially at this price.
Really don't know what to do...

GOPR0136.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Check out what happened to my Horizon Levelling as I was filming my aircraft taking off. It went crazy! Around 2:10 mark https://youtu.be/7qO4udCix0A

Join me on my trip from London Heathrow Purple Parking, catching the bus in, going to the British Airways Terraces South Lounge, Boarding the A320 then jetti...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @komandantte and @bellagio1066. Depending on the resolution and HyperSmooth settings and the mode used, Horizon Leveling is only effective up to a certain angle/orientation (Lens Angle Limit). For reference on the angle limits when Linear + Horizon Leveling is enabled, see HERO9 Black - In-Camera Horizon Leveling .

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for your answer, 

The problem is that I have my camera still, not leaning at all. As soon as it "sees" the sea, the horizon level turns wild and goes to "diagonal mode". In the example I have placed (a photo) it has done that even with a photo and I was perfectly standing still.

Sometimens it does, sometimes is allright...

Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

This is odd, @komandantte. If the camera is already updated to the latest firmware and the issue persists, let our Support team know. This way, further troubleshooting regarding the issue could be done. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @mariustanya , thank you for your answer. It is something odd really sometimes when I wait a little bit it satbilizes and wotks fine, the problem is when I start shooting imediatley as I press the record button. Kind of...I have to wait a little bit to start moving so the camera does is thing.
I'm having issues also with condensation on the front screen when outisde temperature becomes colder. I've never (yet) submerge or wet the camera since I bought it.

Thank you Smiley Wink

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've had the same issue. I went to the Domincan Republic last week and the camera video started to tilt on its own. I took this video holding the GoPro horizontal following the horizon as a guide. Seems to be a software/ sensor issue with the GoPro hero 9..

Hiker

[ New ]

Let's see if the new firmware helps this issue. I've upgraded today.

Cheers