Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro Hero 9 Flat Native WB Color Grading LUT

[ New ]

1st question:

Do these two video captures look like the same for you?

01 Gopro9 GoproColor AWB

GoPro Hero 9 (GoPro9) footage on a sunny day with Gopro Color and AWB

02 Gopro9 SuperCurro LUT Flat Native.png

GoPro Hero 9 (GoPro9) footage on a sunny day with Flat Color and Native auto white balance.

Are you sure? please watch this video:

OK, if for you is the same then stop reading, thank you for your time and don't waste more time and enjoy your GoPro 9 videos.

2nd question:

Do you really feel that Gopro can do it much better and provide a LUT to make the most of the camera obtaining faithful colours and the maximum possible dynamic range of this small sensor as its competitors do?

I think so too, but after searching and searching and not finding anything decent in the whole network so I had to do the job myself. More than 50 hours of work, a lot of testing and voilà:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cBCCdWh5Q0teykuFI8-gTbj8ABRXD4a6?usp=sharing

How to use it?

Very simple, in any video mode of your Gopro9 (only for Gopro9 V1.22 not tested in other firmware versions)

Gopro9 Config: Color Flat, WB Native, -0.5 EV, sharpness medium, Bitrate High.

In your favourite video editing software:

• Apply the LUT,

• Correct the WB (is precalibrated for sunny, so you always will have to correct the WB for cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent, night etc)

• Adjust the shadows and highlights levels.

Enjoy your life!

3rd question:

Do you feel you need more?

Yes, you are right, there is much more. If you use Davinci resolve (free o studio version) you can do much more and you can get until the last dynamic range of light without any kind of artefact and true colours. You will be able to adjust and fine-tuning the result for any kind of scenarios.

LUTs are limited, what you have now is the best can be done, if you want or need more then you have to jump to the next level.

Got the job done was much more complicated (more than 10 times) than it usually is. Yes, colour grade a DJI Osmo pocket, Mavic 2 Pro, Sony Alpha camera etc... is much easier than do it for a Gopro 8 or 9, that is the real reason you will not find anything decent in the network until now.

Test this LUT and if you like it please support me and you will have access to Davinci Resolve calibration files. Any calibration job can be improved always! Please help us with your support.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/curro/gopro-hero-9-flat-native-wb-color-grading-lut

Any comment is welcome, I have tested in many scenarios (sailing, hiking, city, interior) and is a very well balance calibration. Try it and take your Gopro9 to the next level!

PD: if you don't understand why I dedicate so much effort to fix my GoPro products, I will try to explain it. GoPro has the best digital stabilization by far, but the cyan (the sky), the red and the skin tones are horrendous. Sorry Gopro I don't know who is your colourist but is doing a horrible job, have a look to DJI products. The only way to have the best of both worlds is buying a GoPro, record in RAW and then fixing in post-production. This was almost a mission impossible until now, Thanks to COVID-19 I had time to do it a reality. Also for Gopro8 (as difficult as the Gropro9 and completely different). About pictures is the same story, but easier as the RAW pictures in the Gopro9 are quite nice out of the box (better than Gopro8 that is terrible), only a few corrections in the red for RAW pictures.

Please respect my job, improve it if you can, share as much as possible to benefit the community but always recognise the job behind this huge effort.

Regards

SuperCurro

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 9 Flat Native WB Color Grading LUT

[ New ]

Hi.

Yes I also have a LUT and all the Davinci resolve calibration for Gopro8

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/curro/posts

And in this video https://youtu.be/zGeCh95cBek you can see the Gopro3, 4, 8... 

and in this https://youtu.be/PlxrwWJoA9A a mix of GoPro 4, 8 and 9... you will not notice the difference except for the horizon level.

I will also upload very soon the Mavic Pro2 and Mini2 profiles (not to much impact), DJI Osmo pocket (red correction), but I don't have more cameras.

View solution in original post

Compilation des sorties laser entre le confinement du printemps et celui de l'automneRecopilacion de las salidas en laser entre el confinamiento de primavera...

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Downloaded, thanks! I agree, Gopro should try to make colors more natural. I'll test your LUT asap.

Hiker

[ New ]

I was forced to create a colour grading because the cyan = blue sky and the orange skin tones were terrible. We now blues in Gopro are oversaturated and not realistic, but for sailing with a lot of blue and white was a problem. My frustration was that it is impossible to have a right blue in AWB, you have to do it in native WB so even more difficult because again the native WB is also terrible to colour grade. On top of everything the reds were also wrong and fin tune the red and the skin without affecting each other was also a challenge.

The final result was a lot of work but very good clarity, detail and quite perfect colours. Took me 10 times more work than expected but the WB are almost perfect across all the light conditions. Of course, you always have to do basic WB correction because the LUT is done for sunny days and if the light source change you have to correct in the post (really easy).

Again, I can not understand why GoPro doesn't provide the LUT to correct RAW to REC 709 as all their competitors do. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Best LUT so far for the Gopro 9 with NATIVE profile! such a huge work since the NATIVE color of the 9 is super yellowish! grande crack!!
Sightseer

[ New ]

THANK YOU!, sir. This is an excellent LUT that makes my flat footage look realistic. I very much appreciate your effort and generosity in making it available to the community.

Hiker

[ New ]

I only have GoPro Hero8's but I totally agree that:

1. Flat appears to be a slightly desaturated GoPro Color version.

2. I'd love for GoPro to support a "GoPro HeroX - Flat to REC 709" LUT.  I've found several who have created them but having the official one from the company (ala all other camera manufacturers) would be great.

Did you do a similar LUT for the Hero8?  I didn't see that in your download link :).

Edit:  I forgot to mention that the "X" in "HeroX" above would be 7, 8, 9, etc.  Also, I haven't been using native wb, I set the wb which I feel helps me to match footage with my non-GoPro cameras without too many tweaks in Davinci Resolve.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi, i have tested your lut with my hero 9 footage. Your lut has very strong blue/pink tint, but you fixed red color. I like to use natural/neutral luts. Tomorrow i will try to play more with your lut. Thanks
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi.

Yes I also have a LUT and all the Davinci resolve calibration for Gopro8

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/curro/posts

And in this video https://youtu.be/zGeCh95cBek you can see the Gopro3, 4, 8... 

and in this https://youtu.be/PlxrwWJoA9A a mix of GoPro 4, 8 and 9... you will not notice the difference except for the horizon level.

I will also upload very soon the Mavic Pro2 and Mini2 profiles (not to much impact), DJI Osmo pocket (red correction), but I don't have more cameras.

Compilation des sorties laser entre le confinement du printemps et celui de l'automneRecopilacion de las salidas en laser entre el confinamiento de primavera...
Hiker

[ New ]

This LUT is designed to be used with Gopro9 Flat colour NATIVE WB. 

If you are using Native WB with midday sun the WB is perfectly balanced and you don't need to do anything else, but if is sunrise, sunset, cloudy, or with artificial light YOU HAVE TO DO A POST PROCESSING WB CORRECTION, so select a white-grey surface and do the correction.

Tell me if you manage to correct it properly.

Regards

Hiker

[ New ]

duplicate

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes, i'm always using h9 with native white balance, ev - 0.5, flat. I know how to use it :) and i will try to create a video as an example. I have some footage which i capture today with a lot of snow.
Hiker

[ New ]

That's really nice footage.  Thanks for sharing that.  I see you're doing the Mini 2.... do you already have one for the Mini (v1)?

Hiker

[ New ]

@donsirltu  ha escrito:
Yes, i'm always using h9 with native white balance, ev - 0.5, flat. I know how to use it :) and i will try to create a video as an example. I have some footage which i capture today with a lot of snow.

If you do WB correction on the snow when editing the video you still have problems with the colour?

Hiker

[ New ]

@ronj25  ha escrito:

That's really nice footage.  Thanks for sharing that.  I see you're doing the Mini 2.... do you already have one for the Mini (v1)?

I don't have Mini1 but the camera is the same... perhaps will work. In Mini2 I only had to adjust the blue, the rest was ok. In the Mavic pro2 I only had to adjust the yellow that was absolutely gone.

Hiker

[ New ]

@supercurro 

Good morning :) 

I'm looking at the images in your first post and I for my taste definately the second image is better.  Its not so warm and has much more details in shadows, but your white t-shirt (in first image) looks much better for my eyes. The white color is more true to life. The second image (t-shirt and skin) has more pink/blue tint. I dont want to say that your LUT is bad, maby is just my taste. Thanks again :)

Hiker

[ New ]

@donsirltu  ha escrito:

@supercurro 

Good morning :) 

I'm looking at the images in your first post and I for my taste definately the second image is better.  Its not so warm and has much more details in shadows, but your white t-shirt (in first image) looks much better for my eyes. The white color is more true to life. The second image (t-shirt and skin) has more pink/blue tint. I dont want to say that your LUT is bad, maby is just my taste. Thanks again :)

Yes, in the second imagen the t-shirt is a bit burn, that is the reason I recommend on sunny days the expose EV-0.5 but on cloudy days EV 0.0 is better. But we are not talking about light exposure but the colours and the dynamic range. Gopro skin colours are terrible, the skin is orange and the blue are not realistic at all. The white is just white balance tunning (remember that we are in native WB so you always has to calibrate the WB the LUT just do it for mid sunny day).

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @supercurro 

As I said I did some testing with my footage. Looks perfect for me. Maby need a little time to find ideal contrast/shadows level. Video is uploaded to youtube 5 min ago, so need some time to get HD/4K quality. Thanks again. 

https://youtu.be/DRdGdR10E3M

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.