Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 9 - Different quality with different lens?

[ New ]

Dear everyone!

I've started to notice that my Linear + Horizon leveling lens videos have a bad quality compared to the videos captured in Superview.

Is it possible that the videos with narrower lens and have a lower resolution and overall worse quality?

Thanks for the future answers!

Settings: 

1080p 60fps

Boost: High / On

Lens: Linear + Horizon leveling / Superview

Iso: Min:100 Max:800

Ev: 0

Color: Gopro

Bitrate: High

Shutter: Auto

WB: Auto

Sharpness: Medium

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Gopro Hero 9 - Different quality with different lens?

[ New ]

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

When you shoot in linear or narrow, the camera is basically cropping in.

This does lower the quality of the video to some extent, especially noticeable in 1080p.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

When you shoot in linear or narrow, the camera is basically cropping in.

This does lower the quality of the video to some extent, especially noticeable in 1080p.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the quick answer!

And what about wide lens? I guess i will still have tha same problem with reduced quality loss.

Is the widest lens mode the only one what gives the original resolution?

Nomad

[ New ]

In my opinion wide looks the best. Superview looks, to me, like 1440/4:3 stretched horizontally to fit the 16:9 ratio.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Also of note, Hypersmooth works brilliantly... providing you're in full direct sunlight in a brightly lit area.  The darker the setting (in the woods, indoors, at night) the worse your picture will look.  The higher you have hypersmooth on (low, high, boost) the worse the picture will look as this adds additional cropping.  I very rarely have hypersmooth turned to anything but "on" to prevent cropping and maintain the highest picture quality.  

Hiker

[ New ]

This is why the best GoPro Camera today is Hero 7 Black.

Because you can buy the non-fischeye lens and have a true 4k non-distorted video.

Like these guys do: https://youtu.be/z4C2QAtxE1s

But in Hero 9, till you get from 4k to a linear video, you will have left with something like 1080 or less :)

And I tried to look for any non-filsheye lens for hero 9, but there seem to be nothing there.

In this video we quickly cover how to swap a lens on the GoPro Hero 7/6/5 Black cameras with a new lens from Peau Productions. Peau Productions offers sharp,...
Backpacker

[ New ]
Missing, one village idiot. Found! In previous post!
Hiker

[ New ]

I am not sure, what you mean by the village idiot or prev. post.

The fact that the actual video size you get in Linear mode with GoPro is much smaller that the one you think.

If I record a 4k in Linear mode with hypersmooth fully swithced off, than that means that I get approximately 2632 x 1480 resolution stretched to 4k and desplayed as 4k video.

And this is why GoPro 4k videos is so low in details.

This applys to most of action cameras.

If you take Insta360 than it will always record in superview, no matter what settings you choose, and than, later in the post you can choose if you want superwide, wide, linear or narrow, and it will crop the image so you get the same as GoPro.

I think if one would want more detailed Linear 4k image without dismantling the camera and changing the lens, than they should look for the 4k camera that do not have superwide, but maximum wide or linear.

I personally looking at the option of buying linear lens for GP7black and than try to screw it into GP9.

Will it work?