Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 9, 3 out of 4 files corrupt!?

[ New ]

Hi

I took my christmas present for an 11 hour drive to Alabama this weekend to film some motocross riding like I usually do with my Session 5.

3 out of 4 files are not playing, tried with a fresh copy of VLC. 1 file is fine. How can I fix the other 3?
I have never had a corrupt file with the Session and it's always worked without problems.

Cheers/ Fred

Screenshot_1.png

GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 9, 3 out of 4 files corrupt!?

[ New ]

Hi @greatbearhammer

What SD card are you using?

Have your tried playing the files on the GoPro App?

Also, please note that GX files are HEVC files.

See HEVC Explained

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

HEVC files cause issues with my copy of VLC player and wont play.  I find windows media player handles them just fine though.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Ej

Thanks for your reply. 

I use whatever SD card came with the bundle from GoPro, it's a SanDisk Extreme 32GB.

I tried using the GoPro app in my IPhone X on IOS 14.2 and I can see a thumb image for the video but it says:
"This media isn't loading. You can try again from the media gallery."

Are there better options to use than HEVC?

Cheers/ Fred

Tourist

[ New ]

Having exactly the same issue.

Recorded a bike trip it multiple sessions. Regarding issues like "black screen" / "not responding on any button presses" / "taking up to 1 minute to start recording" out of 15 clips 3 are corrupted!

File has the correct size.

Tried to play it on Windows and Mac, multiple players including VLC. Tried to recover it with

https://www.videohelp.com/software/recover-mp4-to-h264/old-versions#downloadold and

https://www.videohelp.com/software/ffmpeg

No chance. Even put it back into the GoPro. Tried to play it within the phone. Nothing on my phone (Oneplus 8T, 12 GB RAM) can play the file. GoPro app tells that it's a HEVC file, but not any other system (MacBook Pro, 13", 32 GB Ram) can play it. So it's the most corrupted file possible.

Using a brand new device doesn't make much fun this way.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-30 um 14.45.28.png
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue as just receive my new GoPro Hero 9 BLACK yesterday, and 1 file found corrupted and not able to play after record. It is just a small size file with less than a minute.

Interest to know if this bug is going to be fixed.

Nomad

[ New ]

This seems to be a common issue.. you cant rely on the gopro for anything critical. you just dont know if you are going to get the footage.. I have this happen across 3 Hero 9s with multiple cards of multiple capacities, all store bought approved card. One come with the Hero 9..

Its just one of the bugs in the massive list for this piece of junk..