Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Gopro Hero 8 Stuttering/Choppy Video Problem

[ New ]

I've seen these problems before, but with the GoPro Hero 7.  There have been other variations such as the screen splitting in two with the right hand side recording and playing normally with the left hand side repeating the same 2 seconds of footage over and over and over.  This would indicate that the problem lies with clearing the internal buffer used for EIS.  So it's important that you've covered all things on your end such as proper SD card formatting and reflashing the firmware of your camera.

When getting replacement units from GoPro, it's important to ask if you are getting a new unit (which may be in e-commerce packaging) or a refurbished unit. Check with your consumer rights to see if you are entitled to a new unit or if it's at GoPro's dicretion.  This may vary from state to state or from country to country.  

Backpacker

[ New ]

@kwokenzie wrote:

@robert1326 wrote:

Did you have exactly same "choppy" problems? In my case, it does not stop until I turn off recording and start it again. Then, after couple of minutes it appears again.

hi,

started with stuttering current frames.

after a while kept looping (stuttering) old frames.

and finally, the image froze completely, only the sound remained.

all 10-15min after I started the filming.

I found two or three such cases, I was not aware that for a couple of days after this behaviour started

as I check the filming when commuting only if something happened in the traffic, or something interesting to check ... Smiley Tongue 

I did not save them (just checked the laptop and the iPhone).

@irishmanpdx wrote:

I've seen these problems before, but with the GoPro Hero 7.  There have been other variations such as the screen splitting in two with the right hand side recording and playing normally with the left hand side repeating the same 2 seconds of footage over and over and over.

exactly, in GP7 started with image split.

pffff... nasty issue.

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

OK guys, I have couple more observations:

1/ 1080@60fps on my motorcycle/bike/helmet -> no issues

2/ 4k@30fps I placed camera on table to watch my street. So camera was standstill and not moving at all -> no issues

3/ 4k@30fps move with camera on my bike, motorcycle/helmet -> I can replicate this problem every time

I am going to test 2.7K@120fps on my bike.