Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 8 Stuttering/Choppy Video Problem

[ New ]

Hello, @kwokenzie. It would be best to continue working with Support. Let them know that your camera still exhibits the same issue. They will be able to assist you with the next steps. You can use the same case number for reference. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@fastcave3618. Does the video show the same quality when played back on the camera? Which SD card are you using? Is it one of the recommended SD cards on this list? Is the camera updated to the latest firmware? 

Hiker

[ New ]

TL;DR: there is bug in all GoPro Hero 8 because I can replitace it with all Hero 8  cameras and GoPro refuses to resolve it or GoPro ignores customers.

Yes I do continue to work with Support. I had my camera replaced twice already. Third camera has the same problem:

- yes I did updated manually to latest firmware

- yes I did try different SD cards (yes, they are from your recommended list)

- yes I did try different batteries (all original GoPro for Hero 8)

Support said that I have to buy Sandisk Extreme Pro even though I have Samsung Evo Plus (also recommended SD card by GoPro website). I did buy SanDisk Extreme Pro this weekend and guess what...same problem. I also received this answer from support:

"Unfortunately, we are not able to process a return and refund as this goes against the 30 day return policy for your claims. this third camera continues to show the same error then this lets us know the root cause of the issue is related to an environment outside of the camera itself and we will be unable to replace again for the same issue."

I am not sure what outside environment did they mean? Air? There are only 3 parts in GoPro setup: SD card, battery, camera itself.

This problem occurs everytime when you record for longer perior (my setup is 4k@30FPS, both 50 or 100 Mbit bitrate), lets say more then 20 minutes of continuos recording.

Here are more footages I was able to record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfBq7BmBMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrEJmsMFrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqcBYKCSGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAclWm6cw_E

This happens with all GoPro Hero Black 8 cameras when you record for longer period, lets say more then 20 minutes.SD card is not an issue. I tried many SD ca...
Sightseer

[ New ]

@mariustanya Yes it is also broken when played back on the camera. My SD card is not on the list, maybe I'll try to get one from the list, but given the experience other peopleon this thread had, I expect it won't help. The firmware I have is the latest.

Nomad

[ New ]

So that looks more like an issue with the stability buffer doing the image frame analysis and not writing the information smoothly to the internal buffer before it gets written to your card.

So a few questions.

With your new card, did you format it in the camera before using it?

Does this happen at all resolutions and frame rates, or only when shooting in 4K @60FPS?

Hiker

[ New ]
@irishmanpdx wrote:

So that looks more like an issue with the stability buffer doing the image frame analysis and not writing the information smoothly to the internal buffer before it gets written to your card.

So a few questions.

With your new card, did you format it in the camera before using it?

Does this happen at all resolutions and frame rates, or only when shooting in 4K @60FPS?

> With your new card, did you format it in the camera before using it?

Yes, multiple SD cards used (Samsung EVO Plus 256GB, 128GB, SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB...), multiple formats. No changes.

> Does this happen at all resolutions and frame rates, or only when shooting in 4K @60FPS?

I record 4k in 30fps to match footage from my drone and mainly to keep camera stabilisation to High (one of reasons I bought it for). I did try to change bitrate from 100Mbits to 50Mbits, there was no difference. I did not try 60fps or any other resolution thou (based on comments under original youtube video, there are no issues if you shoot in 1080p, but I cant verify that.)

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @kwokenzie ,

I just want to help if I can.

1. first thing I want to stress:

• do not simply delete files from the microSD cards.
  • when you finish a session, download what you need.
  • when you're sure everything important is saved, format the microSD card  (from camera menu) before starting new session
  • gopro is not dealing fine with fragmented free space on microSD card

2. some reported (back in GoPro 7) same problem when HEVC codecs were used, but only with one of 5 same microSD cards - so not every SD card is the same

3. I had this issue on gopro 8 with the previous software and I solved it:

• I perform a camera factory reset, without setting a thing after, just power off
  • followed by  a manual update like this:
  • [ I lately have a 4GB microSD card that I use only for camera manual update
  • because the FULL format takes less  (minutes - for a 128GB or a 256GB takes quite long) ]
  • I full format the microSD card - hard format (uncheck the "Perform a quick format") in my computer
  • I copy the UPDATE folder
  • I perform the update introducing the microSD card and powering on the camera...
  • if it is the same microSD card that you will use for filming, make a format in the camera - remember that the UPDATE folder was erased by the camera on the microSD card after the update, and at point 1 I explained that camera does not like the deleted files.
  • I recommend making at least twice per year a full format in the computer for the microSD card you use for filming- even takes 15min
  • always format in the camera the card before use (see point 1)

I used since daily (before lockdown) 1 hour continuous filming my commute on my MTB twice per day,  4K Wide 25fps hypersmooth high and no problem of stuttering or image freeze. 

I just hope this helps,

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

@robert1326 wrote:

Thank you Robert for your input.

Did you have exactly same "choppy" problems? In my case, it does not stop until I turn off recording and start it again. Then, after couple of minutes it appears again.

Yes I do format SD card all the time, I also performed GoPro update as you mentioned. From my point of view it might be as @irishmanpdx described (firmware bug).

I will test 1080@60fps tomorrow and see what happens.