Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro Hero 7 black freeze

[ New ]

Hello,

After the substitution of the camera for the same reason, my gopro freeze.

Camera is responding, more or less. The video stop advancing, the sound keep playng.

Video settings are 1920 x 1440 @30 fps, on a V10 micro sd. Video lenght are approx 15-20 seconds.

GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 7 black freeze

[ New ]

@capoan, the freezing issue in a camera is usually an indicator that the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. You can try the suggested troubleshooting steps indicated here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Camera-Freezes-Up/ta-p/39303

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply! as I already told my camera is already a substitution for the same problem: that mean I've already check any update and the sd is already checked by gopro support as compatible. (it happens also switching sd to other).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @capoan

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 7 black freeze; GoPro needs to focus on audible alarm strategy

[ New ]

My GoPro7 black also freezes. Latest firmware, approved SD card, temperature OK, original GoPro battery.

I went through all 65 pages on this Support Hub topic (now closed for unclear reasons) and conclude that Hiker toughpike5712 deserves a medal (or a free GoPro9) for all his efforts to find a solution. Based on my own analysis I concur with him (and several other posters) that the problem relates to battery management/power issues, not to processor, video coder, temperature or SD card issues.

The GoPro design team still appears to be frozen on this topic (pun intended). I wonder why the thousands of hours of lost footage due to video freezes has never inspired GoPro to ask a student to research this topic for a couple of months. After two years, hundreds of posts, customer dissatisfaction and substantial negative publicity, the problem has not been resolved and is unlikely to be resolved as the Hero7 is now obsolete from a commercial perspective.

I guess we'll need to live with it. My solution is that I will make sure I will mount the GoPro in such a way that I can frequently check on its health. Since I use it mostly for bike trips this is less of an issue for me than for someone who has a once-in-a-lifetime experience traveling to the Himalaya to descend a dangerous mountain with a mega-snowboard trip.

What worries me is that it apparently never became clear to the GoPro design team that these action cameras are used in situations (helmet mount, snowboard etc.) where it is impossible for the user to monitor for flaws. With some extra design and firmware effort GoPro could have included better internal monitoring capabilities and timely warn the user with audible alarms.

A clear sign of the absence of this approach is the fact that there isn't even a chapter describing the various audible alarms in the GoPro7 user manual.

I can accept design flaws and/or operation issues in a GoPro camera if it would warn me that something is wrong so I can fix it right away rather than finding that minutes or hours of invaluable footage is gone.

Why not trigger a "10 second alarm beep" to indicate something is seriously wrong and user supervision is required? This alarm mode state can be linked to multiple firmware monitoring outcomes. Once a stable solution is identified and/or bugs fixed the trigger can be eliminated. It may not solve the problem but it would enable many users to salvage as much of their footage as possible.

At present, GoPro's communication activities on this Support Hub far exceed the communication activities of their products. The reverse would be more logical.

Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 7 black freeze and battery charge

[ New ]

After some more analysis and absence of GoPro expert info, here's an update of my earlier post:

Positive news: I've installed to the latest beta version of the software and it has not frozen in the past 10 hours of recording (under snowy conditions). It still crashes when the battery is depleted.

Further details: When recording, the battery will not be recharged. Never. Neither using a battery pack nor using an mains PSU. Reason is unclear because the power consumption during recording is less than what most chargers can provide. It probably was a design choice and may be related to risk of overheating. I don’t believe this can be fixed in a new firmware release, so will need to live with it.

My GoPro7 is connected to a (20,000 mAh) power bank during my bike trips, but it always uses the battery as primary source. It crashes when the battery is depleted. It does beep a lot when it crashes so I need to make a stop to reboot it. From that point onward it appears to only use the power bank. To avoid the risk that the GoPro software gets confused when the battery is partially recharged during non-recording intervals and crashes again I take out the battery altogether.

I made recordings at home with the GoPro7 connected to a standard (mains) 5V PSU. After about an hour of recordings (@2.7k) the battery still had its charge, so the GoPro used the PSU as primary power source. As said: during bike trips it prefers the battery over the power bank. From this I conclude that the GoPro DC conversion circuit selects the highest voltage source and somehow sticks to it during recording. Power banks typically have slightly lower output voltages than a mains PSU. The GoPro may thus prefer the battery over the power bank. Whenever the battery voltage drops lower than the power bank there is no transfer of power. I’ve read several comments on this site about using the ‘correct’ PSU and power bank so apparently the GoPro electronics are picky on the type of external power source.

In coming weeks I’ll do more testing to see what happens when I make recordings using partially depleted batteries with both mains PSU and my power bank.