Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 7 Silver video setting

[ New ]

Hello,

Just got the Hero 7 Silver as my first ever Gopro. Was playing with all the setting stuff to get myself started.

I was using the app and realised the only available resolution is either 4K or 1440p, there is no 1080p option.

Also, in th FOV menu there is only 1 option which is wide, I thought there should be some other options like the linear FOV if I don't want to stick with wide angle?

The camera itself does not have any option menu on video setting so I am guessing all changes need to be made in the app?

Not sure if there is a problem with the app/camera or am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Silver video setting

[ New ]
It sounds like you might be better suited for the HERO7 Black. 1440p is 1080p but in a 4:3 format so you have more vertical coverage. If you put it into a 1080p 16:9 sequence in an editor, you can apply crop/zoom without losing detail and have the ability to adjust the vertical position to get the best FOV.

I believe the HERO7 Silver only has the one FOV, which is Wide. If you want to correct for a flatter look, you'll need to do this in an editor.

The HERO7 Silver and White are made for simplicity. There are very few options available. The HERO7 Black, on the other hand, is fully customizable with Pro settings available. In my opinion, the HERO7 Black is Much Much Much, better overall and well worth saving up for.

You can find the manual for the HERO7 Silver here https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-silver/manuals/HERO7Silver_UM_ENG_REVA.pdf

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
It sounds like you might be better suited for the HERO7 Black. 1440p is 1080p but in a 4:3 format so you have more vertical coverage. If you put it into a 1080p 16:9 sequence in an editor, you can apply crop/zoom without losing detail and have the ability to adjust the vertical position to get the best FOV.

I believe the HERO7 Silver only has the one FOV, which is Wide. If you want to correct for a flatter look, you'll need to do this in an editor.

The HERO7 Silver and White are made for simplicity. There are very few options available. The HERO7 Black, on the other hand, is fully customizable with Pro settings available. In my opinion, the HERO7 Black is Much Much Much, better overall and well worth saving up for.

You can find the manual for the HERO7 Silver here https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-silver/manuals/HERO7Silver_UM_ENG_REVA.pdf
Explorer

[ New ]
For a comparison you can check out this chart
https://gopro.com/compare

And also, you might want to check the HERO7 Black user manual
https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVA.pdf
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks!

It's kind of disappointing that GoPro is advertising 1080p when the Silver and White are in fact shooting 1440p in the 4:3 aspect ratio (I should take part of the blame as I did not see the little footnote on the website).

I can live with the wide FOV which is ideal for actions but I really hope GoPro will give Silver and White the real 1080p option in future software updates.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Yes is very disappointing :(
Tourist

[ New ]

Not all of us can afford a Hero7 Black.

Explorer

[ New ]
1440p is 1080p width but in 4:3 format; however, 16:9 is now available. HERO7 White/Silver have better image quality, audio, faster Wi-Fi transfer and much better stabilization than the HERO5 Black. The HERO7 Silver is a great camera if you want 4K, GPS, 1440p/1080p and stabilization, but don't want to spend the money on the Black.
Sightseer

[ New ]

this is such bull**bleep**, the goppro black is a better camera than this "new" Hero Silver

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for such an enlightened and thorough evaluation of the Hero 7 Silver.  That really helps.

Tourist

[ New ]

No, you shouldnt take blame for not realising there are no settings. You have a £200 or over action Camera. Im absolutely gutted, everyone who has brought one made the same mistake. Thanks GoPro. Something like this should have been made clear. 

The money you will loose by selling your silver and buying a black lol. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I completely agree, I am tired of business stating the exciting additions or updates they make to their product while removing aspects that a majority of consumers enjoy and would not expect to be taken away. Then its taken upon ourselves to thoroughly investigate what the removals are instead of them being transparent. Smoking mirrors, the sad thing about it is I would have purchased the **bleep** Black had I know to check if the Silver only shot in Wide view. 

This was the first time I found any information that clarified that the Silver did not allow for any other FOV, meanwhile regardless of how much I searched I was continuously directed to setting for the Black.

GoPro if this was a tactic for upSelling it would help know how that inferior quality was a reason to purchase the Black instead

Tourist

[ New ]
Solved ???? They now have to purchase the black aswell as the silver. SOLVED HAHAHA
Tourist

[ New ]

EXACTLY!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

Not everybody can afford a Hero Black!