Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

I may have a solution to the freezing up problem!!! after doing the manual update of 1.70 firmware and formating my sd card to exfat on my mac I was still getting some freeze up's but not as frequent so I went on a SLR camera site which lead me to a sd formatting app for free, since formatting the sd with this app on my mac I've had no problems up to now??? it's been 2 week freeze free, see the link for mac or windows https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Highlighted
Tourist

Good morning
it seems to me very interesting, this seems like a FAT problem, quite similarly, perhaps, I also found a temporary solution that allowed me another 20 consecutive dives without freeze.
Every day I reformat the SD card before entering the water, immediately after downloading the photos and videos in memory to the Mac.
It could be a inconsistency in the controller between reading and writing with write or concatenation addresses

Highlighted
Explorer

It's always best practice to format the card before doing a shoot.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

What are your settings on the camera? I find it very inconvinient to format every time I take the camera in myhands. This is NOT a solution.

Tx

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

Did you try " auto low light off and locking landscpe mode"?

Tx

Highlighted
Explorer

It literally takes less than one minute to format the SD card in the camera. Periodically, depending on how much you use the camera (maybe after 15-20 shoots) you should perform a FULL (not quick) format of the card in the computer.

Settings depend on the situation and what you are recording. Turning off Auto Low Light and locking the orientation is a good idea.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

I've tried your suggestion, but does not work. The only valid config for me to get rid of the freezing is Turning off Auto Low Light and locking the orientation.

Tx

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I've already replaced one camera on warranty but got the new with exactly the same problems - freezing after upside-down rotation (even without SD card inserted) and battery drain when everything is OFF. So it looks that all Hero7 has these problems which are discussed at many forums. Hero7 is very problematic now. And I'm not sure that it could be fixed by new FW. Personally - I'm dissapointed in GoPro.